Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings!  The title of the post be familiar to programmers - for those who don't get it, writing a program to display the phrase "Hello World!" is usually the first step in learning a programming language.  This is my attempt at the first step in learning how to have an Epic Life.  

Growing up I was constantly at soccer, baseball or swimming for miles.  Went to college and did way too many things that weren't good for me on my way to a programming job behind a desk.  I'm 47 now and have accomplished some great stuff - 2nd degree black belt in TKD, married 22 yrs and have two great kids, completed Tough Mudder (wouldn't recommend the electrocution part).  I've also been through some bad stuff - I rolled my car three times after being hit by a delivery truck, gained 40 lbs to top out at 250lbs, and until recently was in job after job that wasn't really suited to who I am and what I want to do.

First step - self awareness.  I am not godlike in programming so moving from my management job to a full-time developer job at the same salary was just not feasible.  Hit the books and got a lucky break and I'm in a good place career wise.  Being able to work 40 instead of 60-70 hours a week helps.

Second step - stop spending so much money on crappy food.  Sure, it tastes good, but all the aches and pains and pops are from lack of energy and damaged metabolism.  Eat better and spend some of that cash on getting rid of debt or increase savings.

Third step - read Steve's book and realize that all of those things I've always wanted to do are all possible, just need a plan and priorities.  (just finished this)

So here I am, the king of starting and not finishing, posting all over the forums so I can have enough posts to change my forum handle :) (have to have over 150 to change it), but truthfully, I'll prolly just leave it as is.  I'm interested in body weight exercises and parkour since I really hate lifting weights and I loathe running even more.  Running as in pound out step after step in the street next to the curb and dash onto the sidewalk when a-holes come along not paying attention.  I was hiking with some friends a few months ago and we were going to be late for our ride so instead of heading down the trail, we 'took to the trees' and made it on time.  Granted, I wanted to barf from exertion, but the feeling while I was doing it was thrilling. 

Part of my quest is to not only help myself, but help others.  I'm located in Central NJ so if anyone is looking for a training partner, i'm in! :)  I've taught TKD for years off and on and am thinking of asking my new job if they'd be interested in me teaching a class here on occasion.

When I flipped my car, I saw my life flash before my eyes and you know what?  It made me realize that I have a lot more to do before I leave this earth.  The word Samurai means to serve, and that's long been my mantra.  How can I help someone else, and by doing so, help myself as well?  Just teaching someone to do something new gives me the biggest charge.  My daughter is always telling me I need to be a teacher, so that's part of my long term goal as well.

Short term - go home tonight and start doing some of the workout that people have suggested, practice my guitar, and do some writing.  Follow along with my battle log! 

• Like 1

cout<<" Hello SuperSloth \n";

cout<<"Welcome to the rebellion \n";

getch();

Thought i  might make you feel at home and show off ( or atleast use once) my two years learining cpp at school:adoration::adoration:

• Like 2

If you want something, go get it. Period 

Epic Quest                                     Intro post                                    Duolingo