Forums are back in action! ×

Unusual tunes for lifting

I've personally tried everything to get pumped - all genres. And I've noticed that uplifting dance/electronic and aggro metal type stuff seems to do it for a a lot of folks. But I find that I have my absolute best sessions when I've got some roots reggae (i.e. Midnite), or perhaps some sh!tty old ska going. Anybody else get pumped by unconventional tunes for lifting?

While I prefer to run with music, I find it distracts me while lifting. I typically jus listen to whatever the gym has on between sets then filter it out and ignore it during the lifting.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Unusual? Not really. Other than EDM (mostly trance and progressive) and symphonic metal and industrial (Nightwish, NiN, etc), my main other go-to playlist is all 90's alternative, punk, rock, etc. Regardless, I have to have music going. It helps drown out everything around me and makes me focus on just me and my routines.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Mighty Mighty Bosstones FTW. I don't know what it is about them but the fast beat toe tapping rhythm get me through the hard parts of my sets.

My favorite cycling instructor is my favorite since she almost always played a Bosstones song. Cycling class is the only place I tend to listen to music since I hate headphones.

In college, my gym used to always play Disturbed or Godsmack. At first I wasn't a fan. But after four years it grew on me. Also, every Sunday morning I woke up to my roommate blasting Disturbed to get pumped for soccer. As a result, that music can get me pumped.

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

I don't really listen to anything when I lift, though I do listen to 'Strapping Young Lad' when I run or hike :D Also when I was in High School we used to have to take a bus 5 min. from our school to the field, and every game the coach would pick one of us to choose a song to get us pumped for the game. Most of the time it was Metallica, Pantera, Tupac, Ice Cube, w/e. One game though, one of my best friends picked Jennifer Lopez - Waiting for Tonight... yeah that was probably the most Unusual 'Pump Up' song, most of us died of laughter... good times XD

|
|

"Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done."

"I can only be beaten in two ways: If I give up or if I die."

You know, I like to listen to soundtrack-type music when I work, but when I'm running/lifting, I'm always listening to... audiobooks. I don't find them too terribly distracting, and they keep me occupied during rests between sets. And I really like that I can get through a particularly boring run while reading at the same time. Two birds with one stone!

Mmm... kaik.

Twitter - flickr

I am not a rap guy, but when I run or lift, i listen to Fabolus. I have all his music, and I just put it on and let loose. He has a song called "Breathe" that has a Perfect beat to run to. No BS....check it out. I consider myself a very broad music fan of all genres, but during PT, it is Fabolus FTW hands down.

"Before you listen to what is said, you must first consider the source." - ME

You know, I like to listen to soundtrack-type music when I work, but when I'm running/lifting, I'm always listening to... audiobooks. I don't find them too terribly distracting, and they keep me occupied during rests between sets. And I really like that I can get through a particularly boring run while reading at the same time. Two birds with one stone!

I guess I'm not an auditory learner, because I can't remember a thing I've heard after listening to an audio book.

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

Wall-of-sound fuzz and stoner metal, especially Clutch, Dozer and Truckfighters.

I saw clutch when I was in college. They were starting out and were performing at the college frat party I was at. They played a lot of 90's alternative covers.

They kinda sounded like Silverchair and Nirvana at the time.

"Before you listen to what is said, you must first consider the source." - ME

I saw clutch when I was in college. They were starting out and were performing at the college frat party I was at. They played a lot of 90's alternative covers.

They kinda sounded like Silverchair and Nirvana at the time.

o.O

Miiiiighta been a different Clutch.

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides.