Forums are back in action! ×

Harvard School of Public Health Study Highlights Risk of Early Death from Red Meat

Most data on meat consumption was collected via surveys and I think in general people have a very bad view of what they actually consume (thinking about everyone who "can't lose weight" here).

Furthermore, they condensed food consumption over a lifetime into an average, not accounting for intra-individual variances.

And most obviously it's a large scale survey study and those only find correlations, and correlation does not imply causation, as you should know. ;)

Not saying that red meat is good or bad for you, just that you should be wary of drawing hard conclusions from this.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

I can't watch the vid at work, but:

I'll take the early death if I can have my medium rare steak with mushrooms and onions a few times a month.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

i don't think anyone is implying causation... this is an observational study that presents a snapshot of something that happened in the past under circumstances different than yours, one that collectively, on average, doesn't exist. it's your choice whether you want to take the risk or not...

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

I'll take the early death if I can have my medium rare steak with mushrooms and onions a few times a month.

that is a perfectly valid personal choice... however if you ever have children who love you, you'll be making that choice for them as well... it's a free country... ;-)

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

ETF is old and rickety, he can't do crossfit...

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

So... I'm too lazy to actually read the article... and my work computer won't let me watch the video, but I see that it says something about the pink slime that's suddenly become so infamous. Is the study to do with red meats that have pink slime or ALL red meats?

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

I wonder if conventional feedlot practices have anything to do with the negative impacts of red meat in this study, vs grassfed free range beef and it's drawbacks/benefits?

the study addresses that. in both cases mortality is higher, but by a larger margin in processed beef...

correction... the study specifically does not address this issue. my bad...

that's reverse psychology... or baiting me to prove you wrong... ain't falling for that one...

No it's not, I just don't think you can do it.

500 / 330 / 625

i'm too lazy to respond to your question... did i just respond to your question?

I'm sorry if I offended by not reading the article (which I actually am reading at the moment), it's just that I've spent my day reading technical manuals and scientific papers as it is and my head is starting to hurt a bit from reading off the computer screen. It was a simple question, if you didn't care to answer it, you certainly didn't have to respond snarkily.

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

In the results, it says, "Men and women with higher intake of red meat were less likely to be physically active and were more likely to be current smokers, to drink alcohol, and to have a higher body mass index. In addition, a higher red meat intake was associated with a higher intake of total energy but lower intakes of whole grains, fruits, and vegetables."

They don't really discuss this in the comments, and I don't know how well it was adjusted for, but I would guess that this study is less relevant for people who have a high red meat intake AND are health conscious.

that's cool... :)

"G*d I'm so glad I don't have to do this cr@p."

lol.

I'm glad I don't do it either. not putting it down either, but still glad. :)

I agree too - moderation is key. there is a lot of meat out there that isn't red and bleeding when you eat it.

Never let your fear decide your fate.

Red meat, saturated fat, etc. are among many risk factors. Inactivity, alcohol, smoking are others. There is no magic formula for how much one factor mitigates another. I am guessing that smoking won't be completely be mitigated by activity, and will vary person to person, who knows about red meat consumption and activity... some would say eating high red meat is not being health conscious...