Forums are back in action! ×

Best Vibram Side Effect, EVER

re:strengthening the arches....

as a younger person I developed flat feet and my ankles rolled in. I would stand in front of the mirror and focus on pushing my ankles out and lifting my arches up. At first I had to curl my toes to do it. it felt awkward and clumsy. after a while, I could easily lift my arches, and I started trying to take steps--again awkward and stupid, but possible.

I bought teva sandals and wore them kind of loose (vibrams hadn't come out) and wore them constantly. Every so often as I was walking around I would practice pulling my arches up.

Then finally one day it became second nature...now i actually have very high arches. My shoes wear evenly and my ankles are stronger. It turns out that my feet don't fit the standard arch pattern very well and counter-arches are death for me, so I buy shoes with flatter insoles--the muscles in my feet are supportive enough anyway. :)

Never cheat off the dumb kid.

Possibly jealousy that I don't have such dorky looking shoes (kidding!)...or most likely because I know someone who wears them and is a douche about it so I transfer those frustrations onto the innocuous footwear rather than the irritating wearer. :)

Ha! I hate when that happens. I have had so much stuff ruined for me because of a-holes!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

“If we all did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.â€

-Thomas Edison

"I'm only at about 35-40%, and I'm surprised as eff."

-unicornassssin

Fitocracy!

[thread=16121]My Challenge Thread[/thread]

And a great exercise is to pick things up off the floor with your toes. I have my clients with plantar fasciitis do things like pick up a dish towel and then later pick up smaller things like marbles and then flat things like coins. As a kid I actually used to clean my entire bedroom by picking everything up with my toes. Talk about lazy... I wouldn't even bend down. I think it was part rebellion though too.

“Women are like teabags. You never know how strong they are till they get in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

MyFitnessPal Diary

Well, looks like I'm just a Human

STR 1; DEX 2; STA 1; CON 2; WIS 4; CHA 5

Bumblebee's Quest to Play!

Re: Foot strengthening

I was always told to put your foot flat on the ground and focus on drawing the ball of your foot towards the heel of your foot - if you'ven ever done it it will only move like 1/2" - nothing substantial at ALL. But as you gain strength you'll gain mobility.

I like that plan! I may need to get a pair of Vibrams... :)

Gonna be honest here... If your foot arch is pretty normal, this won't make much of a difference. It might, but I doubt it. People with flat feet have flat feet be because there is a lack of use in their muscles. When they strengthen those feet muscles, it gives them their arch again. I've seen this time and time again.

By all means, try it. Vibrams are fucking awesome... but don't expect your foot size to go down much if you have a "normal" foot.

Gonna be honest here... If your foot arch is pretty normal, this won't make much of a difference. It might, but I doubt it. People with flat feet have flat feet be because there is a lack of use in their muscles. When they strengthen those feet muscles, it gives them their arch again. I've seen this time and time again.

By all means, try it. Vibrams are fucking awesome... but don't expect your foot size to go down much if you have a "normal" foot.

I have high arches and I LOVE my vibrams! Other shoes only support my arches for a few months, but my vibrams hug my arches.

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

Love my vibrams. I have an eyeblindingly blue pair for running and a second more subdued pair for lifting at the gym. I also want to stress starting slowly in vibrams. I walk around barefoot all day long since I'm at home all day but I still had to start off running in short bursts. In fact, I did the Couch to 5k program starting at square one to get used to my vibrams even though I can run more than it requires. It was worth the slow training and I've never had a day of pain from switching to vibrams.

Challenge 1 Plank time: 1960 seconds

Challenge 2 Rope Jump: 4200

And a great exercise is to pick things up off the floor with your toes. I have my clients with plantar fasciitis do things like pick up a dish towel and then later pick up smaller things like marbles and then flat things like coins. As a kid I actually used to clean my entire bedroom by picking everything up with my toes. Talk about lazy... I wouldn't even bend down. I think it was part rebellion though too.

I still pick up things with my toes all the time! I used to practice opening door knobs too.... :D

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

All right... I've joined the Vibram revolution! Went to REI and bought a pair. I do very much intend to start slowly and do the exercises/stretches outlined on the website. Although I'm mainly planning on just using them as my everyday shoe, I don't do much running, other than some sprints I may add into my workouts. Of course... that's assuming I'm up to letting my nerd flag fly and wear such strange shoes to work.

And yes, part of the reason why I did this is because of my daughter, who has large feet, and may benefit from what this thread mentioned.

All right... I've joined the Vibram revolution! Went to REI and bought a pair. I do very much intend to start slowly and do the exercises/stretches outlined on the website. Although I'm mainly planning on just using them as my everyday shoe, I don't do much running, other than some sprints I may add into my workouts. Of course... that's assuming I'm up to letting my nerd flag fly and wear such strange shoes to work.

And yes, part of the reason why I did this is because of my daughter, who has large feet, and may benefit from what this thread mentioned.

And Vibram is now one person closer to total world domination :D

Hope you enjoy them.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

HA! I went to Bikram yoga last night because I had a free pass. (Free ftw!) I wore my leather vibrams and got the weirdest looks. You can't do yoga on a slippery sweaty mat! I felt like a gecko rockstar while everyone else was sliding around a bit.

I tried to look up my pair of vibrams, but I couldn't find them on the website, so no link here. I think they were called the Performa Jane or some nonsense.

"Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform. "-Mark Twain
“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.†– Winston Churchill
“You will either step forward into growth or you will step back into safety.†– Abraham Maslow

Wood Elf Adventurer LEVEL 6.817
Stats: STR-18.62 DEX-8.22 STA-19.05 CON-29.72 WIS-30.26 CHA-22.73

I made my own pair of huaraches since I had leather lying around and I'm way too broke for vibrams.

That's the point of the Vibrams too... they're not supporting you like shoes do. You're supporting yourself. There's very little in Vibrams in the way of support, and that's the point. :)

As someone else with high arches, when I wear socks or shoes that hug my arches, I like it. It's not because I'm actually getting support, it's just, for me, pleasurable to have that kind of closeness on my foot. [shrug]

I made my own pair of huaraches since I had leather lying around and I'm way too broke for vibrams.

As someone else with high arches, when I wear socks or shoes that hug my arches, I like it. It's not because I'm actually getting support, it's just, for me, pleasurable to have that kind of closeness on my foot. [shrug]

Totally. I just don't want people thinking they're receiving any type of arch support from Vibrams. They're not.

My wife and I picked up our vibrams last Saturday. I've been taking it super slow(flat feet). I'll wear them a few hours a day around the house but I workout in regular shoes. Today is the first day I've worn them at work. I had about ten people in my cubicle asking me questions and looking at them. Pretty amusing experience.

I've only run a quarter mile in them so far trying to focus on my form and such. They felt really good but I did have soreness in my legs afterward and some slight pain under my foot (plantar fasciitis survivor) but it went away ther next day. Hopefully all the benefits I keep hearing about come true and these help me strengthen my feet. I've totally got the bare footing bug. Hopefully my legs and feet come along for the ride.

"Being stronger will make you better in every conceivable aspect of your life, except of course being weaker."

Fitocracy: https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/boudain

FitBit: http://www.fitbit.com/user/297TR5

RunKeeper: http://runkeeper.com/user/boudain/profile