Forums are back in action! ×

What is Nerd Fitness?

This may be out of topic, but reading this thread has shown me how there are people that can have civil debates and move away from it with giggles, hugs, and good cheer. Makes me kind of proud to be a part of this community.

One of the greatest discoveries man makes, one of the greatest surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do. -- Henry Ford

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -- Groucho Marx

Battle Chronicles of Sacculina

Sacculina's Wordpress

I gotta say, one of the reasons I joined instead of perpetually loitering is THIS.... the feeling of family, when you're sitting on the deck having a personal conversation with your sister, and your bro wanders out and offers his advice.... it doesn't matter whether his words are spot on to your conversation because dammit he has your back and wants the best for you.... and if he's totally off, it's cool if you speak up and say so, because he's your mother-benching brother, yo. Then you tip your glass (whiskey for me, red wine if you're caveman, water with pork belly if you're PaleoMeansAllBaconAllTheTime) and enjoy the sunset.

The camaraderie and honesty here make it possible for someone like me (underweight and wimpy) to find inspiration and support from those of us trying to lose weight, and vice versa-- I posted briefly on another forum until my first post that offered my perspective was criticized because of my stats. I wasn't offering advice, just stating my own experience with the theory discussed in the thread. Here, regardless of which thread we're posting in, it's all about finding the balance for ourselves, and tweaking the things that aren't working. While we're all here, yeah?

I feel like we all understand that no matter where we started, and what tools we're using along the way, we're all on the same journey.

I gotta say, one of the reasons I joined instead of perpetually loitering is THIS.... the feeling of family, when you're sitting on the deck having a personal conversation with your sister, and your bro wanders out and offers his advice.... it doesn't matter whether his words are spot on to your conversation because dammit he has your back and wants the best for you.... and if he's totally off, it's cool if you speak up and say so, because he's your mother-benching brother, yo. Then you tip your glass (whiskey for me, red wine if you're caveman, water with pork belly if you're PaleoMeansAllBaconAllTheTime) and enjoy the sunset.

The camaraderie and honesty here make it possible for someone like me (underweight and wimpy) to find inspiration and support from those of us trying to lose weight, and vice versa-- I posted briefly on another forum until my first post that offered my perspective was criticized because of my stats. I wasn't offering advice, just stating my own experience with the theory discussed in the thread. Here, regardless of which thread we're posting in, it's all about finding the balance for ourselves, and tweaking the things that aren't working. While we're all here, yeah?

I feel like we all understand that no matter where we started, and what tools we're using along the way, we're all on the same journey.

Exactly.

OMG I love the love in here....like you said, katscratch, it's one of the things I love about this place...but ok, it's gotten a little sappy :P

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6c/Saccharin-2D-skeletal.png/250px-Saccharin-2D-skeletal.png

P.S. Here's a hug for AJ and IT....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shirster/5003469418/

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Can't believe I missed all the action! :(

One more group hug?

Looks like I came in on the end of this one too AJ! awe....
That's ok guys. Me n iced will be over here having our OWN group hug, amirite?

... Right?

Sorry, I'm all hugged out. I've got the DOHS. Check back with me in a day after I've rested up :D

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

That's ok guys. Me n iced will be over here having our OWN group hug, amirite?

... Right?

BIG DEADMAU5 HUG!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2253[/ATTACH]

See? We're unique like that! Deadmau5 got involved!

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Ohhhh..........around these parts we call group hugs a sushi roll! Nerdfitness sushi roll with EFT all raw in the middle!

And seriously with all this Kamb-boom stuff I am hungry for a veal Kamb-bob! :) it's paleo after all....whoot!

p.s. no word from EFT...I do hope he is feeling ok about all this, cause he really is a great guy.

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

i'm still here... just observing and trying to listen to what people are saying...

i don't have animosity toward anyone here... so i'm surprised that people felt that a group hug was necessary...

my question, which remains unresolved, i think, is whether we can openly talk about what we think and believe in NF...

although not openly discussed, i think that the answer is clearly in display on a thread started today by a member about some advice she got from the doctor about cholesterol. she is trying paleo, and looking for information about how to handle what was said to her by her doctor.

it saddens me that she will only hear the paleo side of the story, because i guess no one wants any more discussion of the merits and demerits of differing sides of the debate about cholesterol. in effect, the paleo camp appears to have achieved what it wanted... effectively a place where they can feed people just their ideas about healthy eating. i feel frozen out of that discussion and others that are important to me...

NF is an evolving sandbox. the influx of new people makes what it is a moving target. also it is steve and staci's professional property, so i have to be respectful of what the members here and the owners want. undoubtedly the arguing and bickering is counterproductive so there is no easy solution.

it does strike me that many don't to openly say what they feel... i don't know if it's decorum or tiredness from the recent incessant arguing, but i wonder if it's the group or just a vocal minority that wants the discussion, at least in certain sections of the forum, to be limited to one viewpoint.

forums, people and circumstances all change over time... that's cool... i'm not here to say that the sandbox should cater to my needs... but it's difficult to gauge the norm to adhere to here as things appear to be changing...

regardless of my point of view on certain issues, i got love for all of you... as fellow human beings, you all deserve love and happiness...

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

this is not to pick on you oystergirl but i highlight this just because it was the first example i found...

If you Timmy are gonna have more tests to check for heart disease risk, make sure to have C-reactive protein levels checked and Homocystiene. you could also have your Co-Q-10 levels checked. If Co-Q is very low and homoceystiene is high then your risk is higher. c-reactive indicates inflammation...if all these things are normal then your heart is pretty much fine and dandy...

when i try to respond to someone, i usually try to say, this has worked for me, and may or may not work for you for these reasons. the statement above reads to me like a medical conclusion. i wonder whether in an online forum, people with no medical training should be giving medical advice... am i crazy in thinking this?

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance