Forums are back in action! ×

Hi everyone, My name is Jake aka "Pericles". I have read articles from Nerd Fitness for roughly a year now, but I figured it was a time to dive in. I've been interested in fitness for a good portion of my life. Started lifting weights/bodyweight training for Football when I was 15. However as i moved off to college my discipline went right out the window. If i wasn't in class was was playing games, drinking beer, and eating fat burger. I gained probably 100 lbs during that time, maxing out somewhere just north of 300. For the last 5 years my health has been something that I have focused on, all be it not so successfully. 

I've managed to get myself back down to roughly 270 (I go up and down from there depending on the time of year or if I'm being lazy or not). In these last 5 years though I have become much more active again than I was. I enjoy things like mountain biking, BMX biking(Not so good at BMX :P), and Judo. I've also managed to complete a Spartan Sprint, and a Warrior Dash along the way. My primary set back that I deal with year after year is my nutrition. I will do well for a bit and then tell myself that I can take a break and just treat myself for a bit. Always bites me in the ass! I would ultimately love to get back down to 200lbs.

I have taken some steps to create some quest on my character sheet, however I need to sit down and take some time to add more.

I look forward to working with the Rebels, and I will level up my life this time!

Pericles 

• Like 1

Welcome on board @Pericles!

It's great that you have become more active, those are some pretty big achievements right there and that has huge benefits for your health, even if you are still overweight.  You can be fit and overweight at the same time, it's just healthier to be fit and the right weight.

I can sympathise with your diet problem, I have the voice of temptation in my head telling me "you deserve a treat for being so good lately" too.  I find that the best thing for me is to make sure that I never go extreme with my food, I never completely ban myself from eating anything.  Instead I simply ask myself "on the balance of what you've eaten lately do you think it's acceptable to have this right now?"  If I am always conscious of my food choices then it helps me to be aware of my diet and not "secret eating".  I can have a cookie every now and again, or an Indian take away, but it's always a conscious decision.  It works for me.

I know you said that you've been following the blogs for about a year now, but I thought you might find this post about habits useful.  I also think that you might find the 4 Week Challenges a good tool.  It helps to keep you on track and also gets you involved with the community.  Just shout (not literally :P) if you want any more info about the challenges or if you have any questions about the forum.

See ya around!

Guzzi

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Hi Jake! Welcome to the forum :)

Healthy eating is so hard when there's so many other options, and the feeling that we need to 'treat' ourselves is forever looming over us. Once you start to shift your perspective about food, it helps. Try thinking of food less as a treat (because honestly, is loading your body with cookies and candy and junk really a treat?), and see if that perspective helps. 

Best of luck and welcome to the family :)