Forums are back in action! ×

WANT.... Hunger Games

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2296[/ATTACH]

So I'm sitting in the Hunger Games yesterday, watching the training sequences, and already thinking about how much I want that shirt. Sure enough, they're selling them, at Toys 'R Us? It doesn't say anything about kids sizes, so I *think* they're adult sizes? Supposedly they're in stores as well, so I might swing by my local Toys 'R Us to find out, or at least call.

In general, I think I did the right thing and didn't read the book before seeing the movie. Everyone I've talked to who read the book first enjoyed the movie, but didn't seem thrilled. From my point of view it was kick-ass. And no... I didn't really feel like it was any problem to understand what was going on. It all made sense.

Now I finally get to read the book.

post-5079-135672434501_thumb.jpg

post-5079-135672434501_thumb.jpg

Book is much darker. The movie didn't make the actual games seem like a struggle at all. That's my biggest gripe. Glad you get to read the book though.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Hope they'll do them in girl sized to the UK! I badly want one too!

I didnt read the books before seeing the movie and I loved it. My sisters read them though and I had to ask her to explain a few bits so I may read them myself just to get a better understanding.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitter Blog

Attributes:

Strength (STR): 3

Dexterity (DEX): 1

Stamina (STA): 4

Constitution (CON): 2

Wisdom (WIS): 3

Charisma (CHA): 2

Yeah, I thought the movie was good, and understand where I think it was lacking - it's a lot of information to fit into a 2.5 hour movie. I'm going to watch it again and I think I'll like it better because I won't be as busy making comparisons. I thought I had heard they were making four movies out of it. Has anyone else heard that? The following ones are darker, but I'll still watch them because I'm committed to this now :P And it'll be worth it if only to see what they do with some of the other characters (like that rascally Finnick Odair).

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

Yeah, I thought the movie was good, and understand where I think it was lacking - it's a lot of information to fit into a 2.5 hour movie. I'm going to watch it again and I think I'll like it better because I won't be as busy making comparisons. I thought I had heard they were making four movies out of it. Has anyone else heard that? The following ones are darker, but I'll still watch them because I'm committed to this now :P And it'll be worth it if only to see what they do with some of the other characters (like that rascally Finnick Odair).

It was 2.5 hours long? Wow I didnt even realise it was such a long movie! But I guess thats the sign of a good film if it keeps you gripped enough that you don't realise how long it is. Also explains how we managed to miss the last train home without realising the time *doh*

I've heard they want to do the whole series into movies but it depends on how well the first one does at the box office. The two main characters have already said they would come back along with the guy who plays Gale (who is yum btw!)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitter Blog

Attributes:

Strength (STR): 3

Dexterity (DEX): 1

Stamina (STA): 4

Constitution (CON): 2

Wisdom (WIS): 3

Charisma (CHA): 2

I've heard they want to do the whole series into movies but it depends on how well the first one does at the box office. The two main characters have already said they would come back along with the guy who plays Gale (who is yum btw!)

Agreed! Liam Hemsworth is very yum! Though... I still love his brother, Chris, better... but I guess it's not uncommon to like the one you saw first better ;) And I think... they won't have any problem at the box office. Apparently (I heard from a friend... and he usually knows what's up) this movie sold more tickets on pre-sale than any other movie has.

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

I am a book first reader...I have two teen girls and read all the freaking twilight books and loved them and HATED the movies so I was very much not at all looking forward to this movie because i DIDN'T want to be disappointed. I still have not seen it but will this weekend. My daughter, who read the first book like 5 times liked the movie but because of the PG-13 rating they really could not do as much with the darkness that corey spoke of.

Anyway, I love the shirts and I want one! good find book!

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

I hear ya, Oystergirl. I used to be very inclined to hate movies based on books I loved. I realized this with "A Walk to Remember." I've been trying to let that go and enjoy movies for what they are. I've accepted that movies won't be like the books... and I'm often tempted to watch the movies before I read the books if I have the opportunity, but it's just weird knowing how the book ends... and even stranger if it doesn't end the same. I can even watch Harry Potter without getting angry now. It's been a long process *shakes head sadly*

I can cut slack for adaptions to some extent. I prefer LOTR movies to the books because they ramble so much. On the other hand, I was going to watch a version The Secret Garden this weekend and had to shut it down ten minutes in because I was so annoyed with the plot alterations- there was no reason to make that change (earthquake instead of cholera epidemic) and it didn't work with the plot. I reread the book instead.

I'm looking forward to seeing HG- I haven't read the books yet, so we'll see how it goes.

Books are great, the movie was awful. Rather than being a movie concerned with building complex relationships between the characters, and rather than focusing on themes concerning the politics of power and revolution, it was content to be a glossy action movie with absolutely no substance. Jennifer Lawrence was great, though.

Valar Morghulis
Book is much darker. The movie didn't make the actual games seem like a struggle at all. That's my biggest gripe. Glad you get to read the book though.

You want dark? You need to read Battle Royale and then watch the movie.

The premise of Battle Royale (which was written many years before Hunger Games) is that in a dystopian future, society has broken down and the way the government keeps people in line is to have a class of school kids get selected to participate in a game where they have to kill each other off. They get taken to an isolated area and they start off with a random backpack of supplies. Suzanne Collins, by the way, states she never heard of Battle Royale before she came up The Hunger Games. Just like in the Hunger Games, the controllers of the game use various methods to corral and maneuver the contestants into concentrated areas to force the confrontation.

Where Hunger Games had 2 people who might have known each other since they came from the same district, in Battle Royale, it was an entire class of junior high kids where everyone knew everyone else. The tagline of "could you kill your best friend" is much nastier than "may the odds be ever in your favor".

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

Read the books when/as they first came out, and purposefully didn't reread before the movie. Liked it, but I tend to go into movies just thinking of them as movies, so I don't usually get myself comparing too much. The shirts are awesome!

alecto, I've heard great things about Battle Royale. Need to read that for sure.

One book that I absolutely can't picture being as complex in movie form is Ender's Game.

I was prejudging the Hunger Games because i first discovered the series while i was going around tumblr and it was the second fav series of a twilight fangirl. Therefore i thought it was one of the awful goggly eyed fantasy romance books. Then my lil brother-friend started reading the series and he said it was ok. I resisted not to read. I went to the movie a few days ago and must say i enjoyed it. It's true, i could feel there are lots of non-told relationships between characters. Now as i read through 1st book i'm liking tHG. Also, teenagers needed a strong role model instead of Bella.

My lil bro says in 2nd book Katniss is still cool but in 3rd she goes all whiny and weak and it kinda depresses me. I'm still gonna read all three books.

Hi, I'm Rose. I'm a wannabe freelance Illustrator/Character Artist with a Bachelors in Landscape Architecture. I'm a Graphic Design Student and I have bad eating habits.

Roselyn Shade

Half Elf Adventurer [wannabe Bard]

Level : 2

| STR: 4 | DEX: 4 | STA: 4 | CON: 3 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 8 |

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Lee - Starbuck, Battlestar Galactica

Challange | Sketchblog Tumblr | Portfolio

I was prejudging the Hunger Games because i first discovered the series while i was going around tumblr and it was the second fav series of a twilight fangirl. Therefore i thought it was one of the awful goggly eyed fantasy romance books.

I'm totally with you on this one. The first thing I ever heard about Hunger Games was "The next Twilight", and I had read one book and saw one movie because I have girls, and wanted to give it a chance. My God those were awful. So I was prejudiced.