Forums are back in action! ×

Random anxiety

Does anyone ever experience this? It doesn't happen super often, but sometimes I just get uptight about nothing or everything and I just want to cry. There's not anything specific that brings it on as far as I know, and it's super annoying because it gets in the way of my busy life.

I'm currently on an antidepressant; before I was on this one I tried 2 others that had an anti-anxiety component (Effexor and..something else) and I didn't like the side effects. I don't really like taking drugs for that kind of stuff anyway. So I don't really want to be more medicated.

This is sort of a vent/rant but also: if you have occasional anxiety issue/weirdness, how do you deal with it? What if you're doing something (like sitting in class or at work or something) where you can't just go hide in a hole?

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

I have some from time to time that can be triggered by a few things, but nothing big. Heart races, my mind goes non stop, etc. If I am in a situation where I can, I put on my headphones and certain music can take me away from it, but if I'm not, I'll turn it into a battle of my own mind. I force myself into controlled breathing and tell my mind that I have control over every part of myself. It's kinda hard to explain, but this exercise is more about getting my mind off of whatever is causing the anxiety and putting that focus on me or something else entirely.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Usually I eat, which is how I ended up here.

Sounds familiar.

I have anxiety issues, no idea why or how, but I've been sitting in class taking notes and had a full-on panic attack before. The medical tests after that little incident were fun, let me tell you. I used to dive face-first into whatever tasty treat I had handy when I would get anxious about things. Now, I find that doing some really heavy cardio/plyometric exercise really helps me (time permitting). I had my best run ever on a day when I was about to flip my shit about something-or-other. Felt much better afterwards, too. Also, yoga breathing helps me. Sometimes I just have to stop (literally) and close my eyes and take a moment of woo-sah.

I hope you find something that helps (and doesn't involve chocolate!).

Current Challenge

Level 2 Human Ranger

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

Mens sana in corpore sano

I have bouts of anxiety although they don't lead me to tearing up. They usually have me thinking too much or too fast. I've learned to embrace them and talk to myself until it goes away. Sounds odd but, hey I'm insane. (Not legally, but just a wee bit past the odd label.)

Trying to force the episodes away always makes them worse for me.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I have had issues with anxiety for awhile now... fun, fun fun... For awhile I was having panic attacks, but those seem to have subsided as my stress decreased.

Deep breathing and/or repeating a calming mantra has worked wonders for me in the past. Trying mindfulness exercises, like picking out ten things in the room of each color- that's a good one to use in public. Yoga and meditation practice help, but that's more of an ongoing 'prevention' thing for me.

When all else fails and I am just freaking out, I tell myself that I am safe, and this is not going to kill me. And even if it does, well, that's ok, too...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

“If we all did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.â€

-Thomas Edison

"I'm only at about 35-40%, and I'm surprised as eff."

-unicornassssin

Fitocracy!

[thread=16121]My Challenge Thread[/thread]

Yep. I'm still trying to pinpoint what triggers it, eating better definitely helped minimize symptoms.

The biggest change for me mentally was being able to recognize that it is anxiety in my BODY not my mind... I can usually keep myself from a panic attack now by being able to logically identify that it's my adrenals going wackadoodle and trying to bring my brain along for the ride.

I don't have many good strategies yet, it's still pretty new for me, but holy crap do I have a whole new level of understanding of friends who've dealt with this for years.

Toooootally, although I'm doing much better now. I was having severe anxiety and frequent, daily attacks about a year ago. I started counseling (for a couple other reasons), and that has ended up helping ALL OVER. ^_^ A lot of my anxiety was coming from deep rooted fears in my life that I had to face and deal with, it's been a good journey, and it's nice that normal is a state of being now.

That said, I still get occasional anxiety attacks, without apparent triggers, but I've noticed they happen when:

1. I am way overstressed in general.

2. I have not taken care of my body properly (sleep/good food)

3. I have not taken care of my emotions properly (relationship bonding/mental rest)

When they do happen, I will either endure if I have no option, or immediately text one of my close friends and talk to them. I am a big people person, and I tend to work through problems by talking through them. I have a couple friends I can call or text at the drop of a hat, so that's what I do. Dunno if that will help you (especially since mine seem to be rooted in a different cause than yours), but I hope they get better for you!

Big hugs...many years ago right before I got married and was living in NYC I started to develop severe panic attacks and anxiety and a bit of depression--years later realized it was related to SAD and now I know how to handle all that, but back then my heart would beat a million miles a minute. No one knew about anxiety disorder back then and I was put on heart medication with a holter monitor and lived in utter fear of another attack. I started taking amitriptillin at that time but it made me so out of it I didn't take it regular and so my dr. took me off it.

I happened to mention to a friend of mine that I had these issues and he told me his ex-wife who had hit a homeless man while driving pregnant in queens and hurt him badly and lost the baby had been a total wreck. Someone told her about these great books by dr. Clare weeks, hope and help for your nerves and more hope and help for your nerves. She was this lovely australian dr. and she wrote these books based on how she self cured her anxiety and panic disorder. When I read these books, I literally cried with relief and after learning what triggers the cycle and how to get out of it, I basically cured myself in 2 weeks. That was 25 years ago and if I have had 5 attacks since then, that is a lot.

i have recommended these books to literally hundreds of folks and have given them away quite a few times but I always buy myself a new copy. I know at least 20 people who went off their anxiety meds after reading the books and healing themselves. I cannot recommend them enough. They literally saved my life.

Big hugs again!!!!

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!