Forums are back in action! ×

Which e-reader should I buy?

There are so many choices out there. I could go straight e-reader such as the kindle, kindle touch, or kindle touch 3d, as well as the nook, and several 3rd party choices, which seems all very useful for reading. But would I miss out on using apps? I could also go for the kindle fire, or ipad or other tablets. I'd be able to watch videos, and web, but would I really need them? and would it be as easy to read?

What do you think? Whats the best e-reader out there?

Race: Human

Class: Assassin

i have the kindle app on my iphone. it does the job.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I have an iPad (original launch version), an Android tablet (HTC Flyer) and my kids have the most basic Kindles (the new version). I think overall I get the most use out of the iPad, and I like the larger screen for reading. There are times I consider getting a basic Kindle because of the e-ink display, for reading outside and before bed, but basically I've been carrying my iPad in my Timbuk2 since I got it and rely on it for a ton of stuff besides reading - but I read a LOT on it. :)

I bought the Flyer for its pressure-sensitive pen (for drawing) and the smaller footprint is nice, but the romance fizzled pretty quickly and I came back to my iPad, all flowers and apologies.

I only buy books from Amazon, so I can read them no matter which device I'm using at the time (phone, iPad, Flyer).

I have a Nook from Barnes and Noble--my reasoning at the time (2+ years ago) for purchasing this one was because of the option to loan books to others and borrow books from the library, as the Kindle did not have that option at the time. However this has changed, and if I were to purchase another one I would probably go with a Kindle.

My main suggestion would be to assess what you want out of it. I have an iPhone so I had no need (or money) for apps or anything of the sort, and my main concern was whether or not it was easy to read. I cannot read at a computer screen for a long time or else my eyes get sore, so none of the bright screens were for me.

Something else to check out is the price of books. Some people claim that Kindle books are cheaper than Nook books, but I haven't checked it myself.

iPad has worked out really well for me. Great for reading on planes, or in a dark room, etc. Having a web browser and so forth is also really nice for trips where you don't need to bring a laptop.

Kindles are pretty cool. Never owned one, but my parents have one. The Kindle looks like it would be better if you are using it to read on a commute by bus or train due to smaller size and lighter weight. Or if you do a lot of reading outside. I commute this way sometimes, but I usually read actual magazines.

Love, love, love, love LOVE my kindle. Beyond all reason. I like that it's not an LCD screen -- the e-ink is a lot easier on the eyes, it doesn't heat up while I'm reading, etc. I can borrow and loan books, and it's so small and convenient. I never thought I'd be willing to walk away from paper books, but now I get offended if something isn't available in a Kindle version.

LRB, Lifelong Rebel Badass  ||  June 3 challenge thread

"What I lack in ability, I make up in stubbornness" -me

"Someone busier than you is working out right now" -my mom

I had a look around at ebook readers a few years back, so my info's probably a little out of date, but I found that most of the e-ink ones had horrible interfaces. In contrast, the iBooks app on my iPad is lovely and does the trick, plus you get all the extra bells and whistles. Depends on how much you're willing to spend I suppose.

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

Love, love, love, love LOVE my kindle. Beyond all reason. I like that it's not an LCD screen -- the e-ink is a lot easier on the eyes, it doesn't heat up while I'm reading, etc. I can borrow and loan books, and it's so small and convenient. I never thought I'd be willing to walk away from paper books, but now I get offended if something isn't available in a Kindle version.
I had a look around at ebook readers a few years back, so my info's probably a little out of date, but I found that most of the e-ink ones had horrible interfaces. In contrast, the iBooks app on my iPad is lovely and does the trick, plus you get all the extra bells and whistles. Depends on how much you're willing to spend I suppose.

I agree with both of these...a lot. If I wasn't clear enough before, I love my Kindle, and prefer reading on it 100:1 over my ipad. Dawsy is right - the interface isn't as nice, and the ipad does a bunch more stuff - but how much do you really need the interface on your reading device. I mean, most of the time is spent...reading. The ipad does so many other things though, if I could only keep one - I'd keep that one.

I find the Kindle app on my iPhone and my PC sufficient, and I was an early adopter of the very first model Kindle. I prefer the iPhone because it's backlit, and I can read in dim light without a booklight. That said, I pretty much use Kindle books for fiction; I still like being able to flip around in a reference book quickly and easily, which I can't yet do with an ebook. Also, most of my reference books are rather obscure (Iron Age textiles from Scandinavia and the British Isles, anyone?), depend on illustrations and diagrams, and aren't available as ebooks.

It really depends what all you need it for. If you don't have any other "app" devices (Apple/Android smartphone or tablet) and you think you'd make good use of the other functions, then a multi-function device like an iPad or Android tablet are good, if you are willing to spend the extra money.

If you don't see a need for the extra stuff or you already have something portable but want something that's just straight up good for reading, then I recommend a real eReader with an e-ink display. They are generally the best device for just reading, and you can't beat the price.

I have a Kindle, which I prefer to do most of my reading on (when at home or travelling). It's a nice size, awesome battery life and I love the e-ink display for reading. I also take advantage of the Kindle App on my iPhone and the Kindle Cloud Reader on my desktop/laptop when I don't have my Kindle with me - it's great that they can all stay in sync!

Mmm... kaik.

Twitter - flickr

I have a nook color tablet and I have no complaints. Any books that are not available in epub format, I have calibre for.

Nook has apps, web, etc and can be hacked although I haven't tried it yet. The touch screen works really well..I have almost no trouble posting on here using the keyboard...and it's fast.

It doesn't have the kindle's e ink technology which is the only drawback for me.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

You first need to make a decision on whether you want an e-ink screen or an LCD one. If you are going to be using it mostly for reading for with e-ink as it will be much easier on the eyes and you won't be using all those apps anyway. I would strongly recommend going with e-ink.

I've always had Sonys and I've never had a problem with them although there are reports of some issues, which is why I presume they aren't as popular. The main thing I like about the Sony is that they accept a wider variety of book formats than other readers.

You will also need to have a look at where you are getting your books from. Ifyou already buy from Amazon, then one ofthe Kindles is probably the way to go.

"I lift heavy things. Sometimes these things are people."

You first need to make a decision on whether you want an e-ink screen or an LCD one. If you are going to be using it mostly for reading for with e-ink as it will be much easier on the eyes and you won't be using all those apps anyway. I would strongly recommend going with e-ink.

I've always had Sonys and I've never had a problem with them although there are reports of some issues, which is why I presume they aren't as popular. The main thing I like about the Sony is that they accept a wider variety of book formats than other readers.

You will also need to have a look at where you are getting your books from. If you already buy from Amazon, then one ofthe Kindles is probably the way to go.

Now if you live in the states I know the kindle can be used in some libraries, the Sony one can be used at any library as long as they are on-line. When I was selling Sony, the E-book was the easiest things to sell, and I think I had 8 returns for every 50 sold. keep in mind this was Christmas time and some were gift exchanges(which most of the time went to a tablet). I can type for a while about the Sony e-book but I will not, but here is some basic info; It is the lightest e-book (weighs less then an I-phone or Samsung galaxy), the most amount of different book types, about a month battery(Completely depends if you use the Wi-fi like crazy or not(if you do its about a week to two weeks) If not its about a month), and charges using the computer.

Also taking a look at LCD v.s E-Ink

LCD

Pro: Can read in the dark, Bright screen, colours, normally more then just reading

Con: normally really bad in sunlight, Glare, Much shorter battery life

E-Ink

Pro: Can read in any natural or artificial light, Great on battery life, Tricks eyes into believing its paper, and costs less then a tablet, some can do basic internet.

Con: Can't read in the dark with out light, no colour, most e-readers only do text and sound so no apps or what not.

My top 5 e readers (in no order)

Sony

Kindle

I-pad or android tablet (Android can get 5 different e-reader apps)

Kobo

nook

Ive been trying to figure out the same thing - I want to get a Kindle, but don't know if I should go e-Ink or get the Fire.

The only reason I would get the fire would be to watch tv shows while I'm on the treadmill - though I guess I could do this on my iPhone too?

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
Ive been trying to figure out the same thing - I want to get a Kindle, but don't know if I should go e-Ink or get the Fire.

The only reason I would get the fire would be to watch tv shows while I'm on the treadmill - though I guess I could do this on my iPhone too?

Maybe we can get one of each? :emmersed:

I had a 2nd generation Kindle and loved it dearly, especially for the e-ink benefit of reading in the sun. However, now that I received a Kindle Fire for my birthday, I'd never go back to my old Kindle :-) The cool apps make it much more useful, especially being able to watch Netflix on it! It doesn't have all the bells and whistles the iPad does, but I figure that's what my laptop and iPhone are for. The biggest deciding factor for me is that I'm a raving Amazon fan (Prime member and all) so being able to use my Amazon account for everything is a big draw for me. If you are more of an Apple fan (iTunes and all), the iPad is probably for you. For $199, the Kindle Fire is a cool toy :-)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Level 3: Outcast, Tweets, Pinterest, "Nerd? We prefer the term Intellectual Badass"

I have a kindle (the last generation, not the current one) and I love reading on it. If you really love reading, then I think the e-ink is the way to go. There isn't much difference between reading on the kindle and a real book. Reading on a kindle fire or ipad is very tiring on the eyes and is like reading on a computer. If you are going to read for hours,then I say go e-ink.

E-Ink for the Win,

eInk displays rule for just plain reading. I have a first generation kindle and a first generation ipad and for plain reading I choose the kindle every time. I'm probably going to spring for a kindle touch real soon now.

Plus, for those of us who are already wearing bifocals and have reading glasses on to, the kindle's ability to switch the font size to accommodate our aging eyes and as you get tired is beyond compare.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

I ended up buying the kindle touch. Looks good so far. But want to give it some use before I review it. I figure that when I get a tablet, I'll do it right and get an ipad. So between e-readers, it seemed like the touch has the best of both worlds.