Forums are back in action! ×

Choosing between AmEx and Visa

Hey friends!

So hubby and I have one joint credit card and we each have our own. We are going to get rid of our individual ones and are looking to get one more joint card. (this is happening, not an option.) Anyway, we pay off our balance each month and are just looking for something to earn us good points to travel. We like Hiltons and usually stay at one when we go places anyway, so we're looking into a Hilton HHonors credit card.

They offer an American Express card (no annual fee), which earns a lot more points per dollar on more categories, and a Citi Visa card. My first thought is that the Visa would be more versatile... but does anyone have any thoughts or advice? I know this is a fitness forum, but I also know a lot of you are smart cookies and could help me out here!

Or, any other suggestions would be appreciated. We looked at the Chase Sapphire card, but it looks like you get the most points when you actually travel... which we do not really. We just want points so we CAN travel :)

I'd say it depends on what you'll use the card for. If its travel, and major purchases, the Amex will have far better protection and customer service quality, but if its for meals, incidentals etc, the Visa will be a lot more versatile in where it is accepted.

Amex have much larger fees for accepting businesses than the Visa, but generally in my opinion, the service is worth it.

My main Card is a BA Amex, and I just tend to put major stuff and travel on it, and pay day to day with a generic debit card. Seems easier and works well for me.

My husband has AmEx HiltonHHonors card and we love it. Most places accept it these days; it's pretty rare when we run into places that don't. We've racked up some serious hotel points - we got like 4 free nights in London when we went last August.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Amex, no question - especially with no annual fee. Amex offers better purchase protection (and a bunch of other protections/insurances that I didn't even know about for a long time). If it earns more HH points too, that makes it a no-brainer.

I'm a Delta/Marriott guy myself, and I put almost all of my spend through my Delta Amex. I still carry a Marriott Visa, for the rare occurrences when a place doesn't take Amex (or when I'm actually at a Marriott and it earns 5 pts per dollar), but the Amex benefits far outweigh the limited number of places that don't take it (mostly mom-and-pop type places).

The AMEX seems good, I think most places take them these days.

If you don't mind the extra hassle of dealing with multiple accounts and so forth, you might want to get multiple cards for different purposes. I have a Capital One card that I use for international travel since it is one of the few cards that don't charge you a foreign transaction percentage. I also just got a Delta AMEX, couldn't resist the free miles.

Chasing all the introductory offers for free miles can become a hobby in itself, as I think some of Steve's posts have shown.

Depending on where you're travelling, Visa might be better. In my experience in Canada, Australia, and New Zealand most places won't take Amex - it's not rare, but still unusual in Canada, and Amex is virtually non-existant down under.

The card will be for racking up points in order to travel... we don't do a whole lot of traveling regularly. :) Thanks for everyone for your responses - we applied for the AmEx over the weekend!

Why, if you don't mind my asking? I'll put a stick of gum on a miles earning card if the merchant will let me. Those little purchases add up over time.

In a nutshell, I never used to be able to be trusted with small items. If I put them on a credit card, I'd spend and spend until I couldn't afford to pay it off at the end of the month. I got into quite a lot of debt at that time (first real job, moving to the big city etc) and while I'm debt free now, I still haven't been able to let go f that, so it's just habit for me.

I'm sure if I thought about it I could do it now without worrying, but I just haven't yet.