Forums are back in action! ×

A couple questions

So my wife and I just started the paleo diet, and she is under the assumption that we can only have eggs and fresh sausage every morning. the problem is, she really doesn't like eggs, or protein shakes. I'm looking for suggestions on what else could be a good breakfast food that can be made rather quickly in the morning as we both get out of bed and have to leave an hour later to get to our job/classes.

Another question is this: I love salsa, I make my own salsa every year, and so does my wife's father. Now that I'm cutting out grains, I need something else to eat with my salsa. I would prefer some sort of chip, but unless there is some recipe that only requires veggies to make the chips, any suggestions for a suitable substitute would be more than welcome

Lots of paleo folks have disregarded the "breakfast food for breakfast" notion. I am not one of them...I lurve mah breakfast!

What about eggs doesn't she like? Is it eggs cooked in a particular way? Maybe you can find a creative use for them. And you don't HAVE to have them...they are just a good source of protein.

Aside from that, I don't really have any good suggestions. I eat a breakfast monster every morning (and boy it's delicious and filling).

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

eat whatever you'd eat for another meal. this a.m we had chicken simmered with peppers and tomatoes. Made the other day and just reheated. I try to work in a bit of fat for breakfast too (although didn't get there today).

But I'm eating eggs for lunch. LOL.

Salsa - with veg. Sorry that's my best advice. Or plain. I eat guacamole by the spoonful. And honestly, not joking, I put it all on eggs.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I don't know how Paleo you are looking to get (I didn't think eggs were Paleo, so I'm assuming not to strict), but Greek Yogurt or Cottage cheese is also a good source of protein. Smoothies make a great breakfast. Home-made trail mix could be another option; just mix some berries, nuts, and raisins (maybe a little dark chocolate?) and bag them up.

Marsupial Assassin - LVL 3

STR 10 || DEX 3 || STA 5 || CON 8 || WIS 11 || CHA 7

Fitocracy || MyFitnessPal

I don't know how Paleo you are looking to get (I didn't think eggs were Paleo, so I'm assuming not to strict), but Greek Yogurt or Cottage cheese is also a good source of protein. Smoothies make a great breakfast. Home-made trail mix could be another option; just mix some berries, nuts, and raisins (maybe a little dark chocolate?) and bag them up.

Gonna disagree. Eggs are most definitely paleo.

actually, dairy is often not considered very paleo. Eggs, yes.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Lots of paleo folks have disregarded the "breakfast food for breakfast" notion. I am not one of them...I lurve mah breakfast!

What about eggs doesn't she like? Is it eggs cooked in a particular way? Maybe you can find a creative use for them. And you don't HAVE to have them...they are just a good source of protein.

Aside from that, I don't really have any good suggestions. I eat a breakfast monster every morning (and boy it's delicious and filling).

She really only likes them if the yolk hasn't been broken, or if they are scrambled with sausage. I'll eat them however since I'm usually the one making them >_<

What do you mean by breakfast monster?

Well, there's tons of foods for breakfast. Don't have to eat breakfast food. Chicken, beef, pork, vegetables, fruit, and healthy fats. There's literally thousands of paleo recipes for stuff.

Yeah, I was thinking of making steak cubes (think stew meat) for breakfast tomorrow. the wife is kind of a picky eater so tis all about finding something she will eat. I'll eat pretty much anything at least once. then if I don't like it, I try it again in a couple years

What do you mean by breakfast monster?

Hehehe. I love when people ask this question. Although to be honest, I stole it from CoreyD.

Eggs (12-24 depending on your lifestyle and desired amount of monster)

Meat (I've used ham, pork, chorizo sausage, and BACON - although not at the same time)

Random veggies (zucchini, tomato, mushroom, green bell pepper, spinach, whatevs)

Sometimes cheese

Mix.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

You have a delicious breakfast monster that lasts the entire week. Well, for one person anyway.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

actually, dairy is often not considered very paleo. Eggs, yes.

Yep, Cline's got it. :)

Yeah, I was thinking of making steak cubes (think stew meat) for breakfast tomorrow. the wife is kind of a picky eater so tis all about finding something she will eat. I'll eat pretty much anything at least once. then if I don't like it, I try it again in a couple years

There you go! :D

eat whatever you'd eat for another meal. this a.m we had chicken simmered with peppers and tomatoes. Made the other day and just reheated. I try to work in a bit of fat for breakfast too (although didn't get there today).

But I'm eating eggs for lunch. LOL.

Salsa - with veg. Sorry that's my best advice. Or plain. I eat guacamole by the spoonful. And honestly, not joking, I put it all on eggs.

my whole thing with making chicken and veggies (or something similar) is that I don't have much time to prepare it, I'm almost always on the move. I literally only have an hour between waking up and having to leave to get breakfast made and get ready for the day. I would prepare it the night prior but I'm usually at work or school from 8 am til 10pm and at that point I have to do my schoolwork and then get to sleep to wash rinse and repeat the schedule.

I eat salsa on my eggs and steak and chicken all the time, never thought about eating it on veggies, I'll have to give that a try, thanks!

Hehehe. I love when people ask this question. Although to be honest, I stole it from CoreyD.

Meat (I've used ham, pork, chorizo sausage, and BACON - although not at the same time)

Random veggies (zucchini, tomato, mushroom, green bell pepper, spinach, whatevs)

Sometimes cheese

Mix.

You have a delicious breakfast monster that lasts the entire week. Well, for one person anyway.

O.o that sounds flipping amazing. I will def have to set that up sometime soon

I'm curious where you got this notion from. I've never seen any interpretation of Paleo eating that didn't encourage eggs.

I'm not Paleo, so I was just going with the general description, but I just figured that cavemen wouldn't have eaten eggs for the same reason that they wouldn't eat dairy. Sorry for the confusion.

Marsupial Assassin - LVL 3

STR 10 || DEX 3 || STA 5 || CON 8 || WIS 11 || CHA 7

Fitocracy || MyFitnessPal

Sometimes cheese

Mix.

Ok, first read through & I thought you were saying you ate that WHOLE thing in one sitting, I thought well, HOLY SHIZZ I'll go broke!

I like the sound of your breakfast monster, MirGSS! When you mentioned it though, I thought of one of my favorite breakfast smoothies - a green monster!

My favorite simple, easy and quick recipe: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/13/classic-green-monster/

Ingredients:

1 cup almond milk, or milk of choice

1 ripe banana, preferably peeled + frozen

2 handfuls organic spinach

1 tbsp chia seeds OR 1 tbsp ground flax

1 tbsp nut butter, optional

1-3 ice cubes

protein powder of choice, optional

Directions: Starting with the liquid, add in 1 cup of milk of your choice. Now add in the chia or flax and nut butter. Next, add in the spinach followed by the banana on top. Blend until smooth. Add in your ice cubes and blend some more. Serves 1- about 2 cups.

Level 1 Wood Elf Druid

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 1 | CON 3 | WIS 2 | CHA 3

First Challenge

1 ripe banana, preferably peeled + frozen

Always peel THEN freeze. I learned that the hard way after freezing half a dozen - nearly lost a few finger tips trying to peel them with a sharp knife! And if you try to thaw them they just go all black and gooey :(

Level 2 Ranger
Aspiring to awesomeness