Forums are back in action! ×

Nerdy ways of meeting women?

I tried calling a girl who gave me her number, she got weirded out and stopped talking to me =) lol I usually just text now.

Most people I know prefer texting, at least at first, cause you can think more about your answer and you're not 'on the spot,' so to speak. I know that even if I'm talking to someone I know, but don't know super well, on the phone I can feel awkward.

With regards to the body language thing/knowing if someone is interested: it's sooo hard to tell if guys are interested because of the whole lack-of-body-language thing, so make a move or do something so that she knows you're interested. Girls aren't mind readers! :)

Guest Eduard
I can never tell if a gut likes me , it's so complicated .

Yeah, because guts are quite hard to see below all the fat, muscle and skin, and they look the same when they like you and when they don't. I think that's why it's so hard to tell if a gut likes you or not.

Or if you're really into it...roleplaying? I did some of that a few years ago, was fun.

*snicker*

Anyway, yeah, I'd say conventions and game stores. I knew a few chicks I would have dated that I met back when I played magic the gathering if they weren't a few years older than me.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Yeah, because guts are quite hard to see below all the fat, muscle and skin, and they look the same when they like you and when they don't. I think that's why it's so hard to tell if a gut likes you or not.

Thanks for the laugh. :P

I've found an excellent way of initating conversations. You need:

- A Rubik's Cube

- Mad skills: A sub-minute solving time is recommended, but a sub-1:30 will do

- A train/bus/underground ticket

Here's what you do:

1. Enter train/bus/underground

2. Sit down

3. Perform multiple Rubik's Cube solves

4. Look up

5. Catch someone looking

6. Say: "Interesting, huh?"

And then you go from there.

Haven't gotten a girls number yet, though. Girls that like it enough are rare.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

- A Rubik's Cube

Here's what you do:

2. Sit down

4. Look up

5. Catch someone looking

My best friend has gotten numbers doing this. We're both into the cube puzzles (he much more than I). He has everything from a 3x3x3 up to I think a 5x5x5. We also have dodecahedron called megaminxes. Anyway, he's pretty quick with them and between that and the unusual puzzle, it's a conversation starter.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

- A Rubik's Cube

Here's what you do:

2. Sit down

4. Look up

5. Catch someone looking

It's a great conversation starter! It would probably work with me.

Thanks for the laugh. :P

- A Rubik's Cube

Here's what you do:

2. Sit down

4. Look up

5. Catch someone looking

Maybe you'd have better luck if you learned some magic tricks? :)

Edit: Also nerdy guys seem to come into their own around 30 y.o. when your being a nerd or not becomes less important than long term qualities, like being caring and financially stable.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

In my studies of memorization I ran across a professional speed-memnist who'd "make his move" by seeing how many random numbers he and the girl could memorize. Of course, the girl only gets about 7 numbers but he gets anywhere between 20-30. He only gets 20-30 because he's almost always drunk when he does this and "one's ability to memorize is inversely correlated to one's inebriation". Did I mention he does this in bars? If I recall correctly, his name is Ed Cooke.

To be clear about the skills of these professionals: Memorizing the order of 2 randomized decks of cards in 10 minutes or less is pretty normal, as is memorizing strings of numbers hundreds of digits long in as much time. Talk about nerdy...

Maybe you'd have better luck if you learned some magic tricks? :)

Edit: Also nerdy guys seem to come into their own around 30 y.o. when your being a nerd or not becomes less important than long term qualities, like being caring and financially stable.

At 30, a lot of guys are significantly less shy than they were a decade before. Also, the 'financially stable' thing is not that noticeable at first, so it doesn't really matter when you are meeting people for the first time. Interesting guys get women; the shy/socially awkward guy may be very interesting, but if he doesn't show it, other people have no way of knowing that.

Actually what I meant is that around the age of thirty women seem to widen their horizons as to what is appealing and interesting, for whatever reason. The why is he is still single question is important too. The answer, "He's nerdy," is a lot easier to deal with than many other possible answers.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Actually what I meant is that around the age of thirty women seem to widen their horizons as to what is appealing and interesting, for whatever reason. The why is he is still single question is important too. The answer, "He's nerdy," is a lot easier to deal with than many other possible answers.

I think people in general do that as they get more mature. By the time you're 30, the surfer Adonis who's painfully stupid is less interesting than he was when you were 20. He's still gorgeous, but if you can't have a five minute conversation with the man...

Unless, of course, you don't want any talk. :devilish:

Meeting girls is not as complicated as you guys are making it out to be haha . If a guy wanted to get to know me , just say hi and be yourself

For us Nerdy guys, You'd be surprized how difficult just saying hi is, Gemeaux. I'll admit to you, that if I saw you in the middle of a market, I'd hesitate to walk up to you.

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

For us Nerdy guys, You'd be surprized how difficult just saying hi is, Gemeaux. I'll admit to you, that if I saw you in the middle of a market, I'd hesitate to walk up to you.

True that. The nerds in the TV shows aren't necessarily untrue stereotypes.... :P

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

I agree with the role-playing comment. Geeky clubs in general. All my boyfriends, I have met through role-playing, LARPing, or the sci-fi/fantasy club I used to run. Places I have also found interesting guys - the board games club, the anime club, local steampunk group, and my German Longsword class. Unfortunately, I know the gender balance is often tilted my way at such things. :(

Gigs are also good. Lot of cute geeks at the Amanda Palmer concert. Standing in line waiting to meet her and Neil Gaiman, would've given my number to one or two of the people I was waiting with if they'd asked. Just get out to fun stuff, and try to be outgoing a bit! It can be tough, but it falls flat surprisingly rarely. Best way to do it is just get them talking about themselves. Everyone loves talking about themselves. And listen, so you can ask good questions, and then you'll find out you both love Angelic Layer and Go Betty Go and BAM, soulmates.

Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving the body.

Blog | Pinterest | Fitocracy

Yeah, if it were as easy as just saying "Hi" to an interesting woman, we wouldn't need this thread! My problem is that when I do meet interesting women that have common interests, they are usually already involved with someone. It's remarkably difficult to meet nerdy, punk rock women for some reason. I think that I am in a bad age group for it as well. If I were in my 20s, there are tons of them in this area, but since I am 40 there are not as many options.

I've tried the internet thing, but there are way too many boring mid-western housewife type women on those sites. The interesting ones never seem to write me back (or delete their profile after sending a few messages back and forth -- it's giving me a complex that I am doing something wrong!).

Oh, and I have to admit that I am clueless when I am actually getting flirted with. I think someone would actually need to hit me in the head with a brick or something. This just happened to me in December. I went to a concert, and after the show there was light frost on my windshield. As I was scraping it, two girls who were parked next to me came to their car. One of them went about the business of scraping her car. The other was going on about how cool my car was, how she always wanted to ride in one, and kept complimenting my music selection. When I finished scraping my windows, she hesitated and said that she had better let me get going. I didn't even realize what was going on until I was almost home. I need a wingman! All my old wingmen have moved or are married with children and can't get out anymore.

Guest Gemeaux

Well you wouldn't have to , I'm friendly :)

Well you wouldn't have to , I'm friendly :)

Well there's no doubt, but what if this is the first time I've laid eyes on you? I've no idea the kind of person you are, just the Cute girl at the Super market. that's all I have to work with, and from my point of view, that's enough to cause me to hesitate.

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

I can never tell if a guy likes me , it's so complicated .

Are you talking about the initial meeting? If I talk to you, and I don't know you, it probably means I find you attractive enough to take you out atleast once and see what happens.

But to the original topic: Starbucks as cliched as it is. I met a cute little nerdy girl there but it didn't work out because of ex issues with her and stuff.

My life. My dreams.

http://dreambigsquatbigger.blogspot.com Hey! I'm actually updating this thing now