Forums are back in action! ×

Hi there,

I'm new to these forums. Actually, I made an account with NF quite some time ago, but this is the first time I've had the guts to do anything with it. This is waaay out of my comfort zone!

I'm here because I need inspiration and accountability to get in better shape. Inspiration because, well, I'm kind of a geek, and NF is the only platform (with its characters, classes and quests) that, for me, turns health and fitness into a fun challenge. And accountability because, as you know since you're here, community is important, and I need to be talking to other people about my fitness goals, successes and struggles.

More about me: I'm a Californian living in the UK. I'm a fairly accomplished musician and play(ed) guitar in a progressive rock band back home. I read a lot - theology, philosophy, politics, history, fiction. I love music, television and film. And food, I love food (ugh). I'm 30 years old, married, and have a four month old daughter. 

Yesterday I started a nutritional and fitness regime with the aims of losing about 25lb, getting leaner and hopefully building a bit of muscle, or at least toning. We're going back to California on holiday in November, so I hope to hit my weight loss targets and make some noticeable changes to my physique by then. You wouldn't look at me and think I'm terribly unfit, but I am a bit doughy these days. I walk a lot and get to the gym when I can, but I'm not in great shape and am not eating as well as I should be. Jason Bourne, Star Wars and watching baseball are the things that best motivate me to want to get my ass to the gym! 

One question about the classes: I've narrowed it down to choosing between an adventurer, assassin, monk or ranger. How should I choose between them? How did you ultimately choose your class? Basically, which class would Bourne fall into, because that's the badass I'd like to become in my dreams haha. 

Anyways thanks folks, nice to meet you and hopefully see you round!

On 7/8/2017 at 3:15 AM, mynameis_wepeel said:

More about me: I'm a Californian living in the UK. I'm a fairly accomplished musician and play(ed) guitar in a progressive rock band back home. I read a lot - theology, philosophy, politics, history, fiction. I love music, television and film. And food, I love food (ugh). I'm 30 years old, married, and have a four month old daughter. 

One question about the classes: I've narrowed it down to choosing between an adventurer, assassin, monk or ranger. How should I choose between them? How did you ultimately choose your class? Basically, which class would Bourne fall into, because that's the badass I'd like to become in my dreams haha. 

Hey, welcome to the rebellion! Similar tastes in reading and life stuff, but my four month old is dog. Basically the same as a human that age - weird smells and loud noises from either end.

Classes sometimes can seem complicated, but the reality is most forum people will try a challenge in several different guilds, and the distinctions between the guilds are more a matter of size than anything else. Folks cycle between the guilds trying to find the right fit, or they will have their definite guild home, but occasionally take a challenge holiday with a different guild. The adventurers and monks are smaller, which can suit many people that enjoy a community where they can know everyone. The assassins are larger, and the rangers are easily the largest. A ranger challenge often looks like many people stopping by to say hi and shout encouragements and you can reciprocate, but you'll notice many veteran rangers tend to find their own smaller pack of rangers to keep up with.

• Like 1

Level 38 [Raveling Bard]

On 7/8/2017 at 4:15 AM, mynameis_wepeel said:

Bourne is definitely a Ranger, as defined here - somebody who does a little bit of everything.  For the most part, the classes are just funny names for what your primary (physical) training method is.  Rangers are going to usually have a mix of lifting, running, hiking, gymnastics, martial arts, and other odds and ends.  Warriors mostly will do lifting, Monks mostly train in their Art, Druids do the yoga thing.  But as @Laghail alluded to, the class choices are a bit fluid - Warriors can do a Druid challenge, Monks can do Scout challenges, Adventurers can do an Assassin challenge.

The advice I give - figure out what you have the *most* fun doing while physically training.  Use that to indicate where you go.  And if that puts you in a guild you're meh about - just pick the one you want.  (Ages ago when I joined and had the same problem of picking my class, my Art lined up more with the Druids.  But I decided that I was definitely a Monk, even if the description at the time wasn't something lined up with the "classic" monks presented here.  Picked Monk, and never looked back - even though these days I have challenges more similar to Rangers than most Monks.  But at the end of the day, my happy place is being on the mat, so Monk it is.)

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Welcome!

Jason Bourne would hands-down be a modern day Monk/Assassin.  Strip away modern technology and he's a combo of Parkour and Martial Arts.   If that's who you want to emulate, I'd recommend hitting up those guilds.  Maybe switching between them from challenge to challenge, depending on which thing you feel you need more help/support with in any given month.

• Like 1

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano