Fluffy cheats her way through life - The Ronger Way*

*that's a mix between a Rogue and a Ranger... what the heck did you think that was?

Welcome to my consistency diary, or, as I like to call it: Do the thing!

A bit about me, so you know who you yell at, when I don't drop a "Done!" on time:

My name is Kat, I am 37, Star Wars fan for 27 years, roleplayer for 17, LARPer. I sell computers. 

So far so average. Things get complicated when it becomes clear that I was born in the body of a mage with the brain of a warrior and the temperament of a Hobbit. 

First challenge: Motivation. 

The best time for me to train is in the mornings when everything is still silent and clean and nobody out there who can annoy me. I am also a night owl. See the problem?

I am notoriously difficult to get out of bed. 

Just now I set myself a timer to 6:30 every morning and my alarm clock to 6 and I must be fucking crazy!

Who does that???!!!!

Number two: Disability. I suffer from Ehlers-Danlos-Syndrome (makes my tendons soft and vulnerable) and Rheumathoid arthritis (makes my joints go ouch and imflammated)

I tend to have one or two areas in my body that I can't use at any given time. One of my biggest dreams is to get really nice shoulders and do pull-ups. Right now I can hardly bend and only with heavy difficulty put weight on my left wrist, due to a tendonitis in the base tendon of my left thumb. And if i do, I'll regret it. I have major trouble grabbing anything because putting strain on the thumb, means putting strain on the tendon. 

I also do love to walk. Usually until something in my arch gets strained to the point that I cannot walk for two months. 

Which is, why we will be having a collection of workarounds.

I set the timer to three times C25K running each week and on the rest day, the Beginner Body Weight Workout Routine. Modified version. 

Why? Who cares? Those who can't do that shit care. 

• ·        20 body weight squats (knees) - gently and carefully. Variations to take strain off injured areas? 

• ·       10 push ups (wrist) - Neutral position push-ups using dumbbells or on fists. Difficult against a wall. Table?

• ·       20 walking lunges (Knees) - lunge gently and hold onto something for balance

• ·       10 dumbbell rows (using a gallon milk jug) (Shoulders, wrist, fingers) - Shoulders: no idea, Wrist: replace with wrist weights, fingers: tape or strap it in place (how?)

• ·        15 second plank (elbow, maybe shoulders) - elbow cushion, damn bursitis, shoulders: good form! (anything else?)

• ·         30 Jumping Jacks (feet) - get proper shoes! They cost you half your monthly food budget, but it's worth it! Or find another exercise. (which?)

As it stands at the moment, I need a work-around for the dumbbell rows. The Push-ups can be done with a neutral position wrist, but since I probably need to do them against the wall, I am looking for a good and safe workaround still. Table might be an option, or the couch. 

Number Three: The rest.

I travel a lot. Don't look at me, I'm going to France next week to meet a dear friend, eat croissants, drink cafe au lait and generally be a tourist. I have two small kittens, who sometimes make doing anything impossible AND who eat my yoga mat. (Thanks pals!)

Ook, neither are real reasons, are they? So it comes back to motivation and ability. 

Something I found important with my disability is to not look at it as an illness or a disability. It automatically pushes you into a category of weak people who need sitting in a chair excercises. And yes, some of us DO, but we need to be challenged too, not coddled. 

Look at it as a chronic injury! Injuries are cool! Injuries are what you get when you slay an Ogre!

In LARP I am semi-famous for playing a battle healer and trust me, injuries are cool. Being sick is just... 

Look in the mirror and tell yourself "You're sick" and then go for "You're injured, but you keep going." BAM!

I just like to be cool.  

But, Number Three, since the previous number three was nothing but a whiny cop-out: 

The plan!

Monday: C25K

Tuesday: Bodyweight

Wednesday: C25K

Thursday: Bodyweight

Friday: C25K

Saturday: like I would get up before noon on a Saturday, excuse me?

Sunday: Slow and easy bodyweight. 

Thursday evening: PT

Wednesday: gym

Tuesday: write at least 600 words

Every day: spent ten minutes with the kittens, pet them, play with them. Cleaning up after them doesn't count.

Full plan starts on Monday, October 8th. 

Until then: eat baguette!

I'm writing this on a train to Heidelberg, sitting in the first class carriage while admiring the Franconian landscape in the dewy morning light. No matter how cheesy it sounds, I swear, it's true.

On my way to France. First class. Like a successful bohemian person.

Have you ever sat among businessmen with your spindle and spun wool? 

Do it for the looks alone!

No workout today except carrying a 30 lbs bag and a modified sun salutation this morning. 

Gods, this is so beautiful!

I also successfully spent 20 minutes snuggling with the kittens this morning.

PS: special price contingent tickets rule!

Someone did the Beginner's Bodyweight workout this morning and now is insanely proud of herself. 

Surprisingly, that someone even is me. 

Unbelievable, I know. 

I also did not, in fact, gain a shit ton of weight in France, although, being in France, I was eating baguette for breakfast and cheese for

lunch.

If you've never been to Lyon, I highly suggest you go, because the city is fucking magical. Especially if you like to eat. And walk up and down the Croix Rousse and the Fourvière a few times while you're there. The pain is worth it... oh wait, that came out wrong. 

Lyon.jpg

Now it's back to not eating cake all the came. I need to meal prep again... when I find the time between Chaos and the Hellbeast keeping me on my toes.

Chaos & the hellbeasz.jpg

Another thing to try: Yoga with kittens. Behold Chaos and the Hellbeast. 16 weeks. 

Hah! No post since Tuesday!

Guess who didn't fall ;)

Me again! yay.

Did the c25k week 1 run on both Wednesday and Friday. 

Skipped the body weight workout on Thursday, though. Got my flu vaccine on Wednesday and did really feel like doing anything to my muscles. poor guys suffer enough. 

Reconnected with an old friend in the US whom I have wanted to write to for ages. 

hey ranger rogue

DO THE THING :P

I love it

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

4 hours ago, alienjenn said:

hey ranger rogue

DO THE THING :P

I love it

on it ;) 

First things first, got me a new part for my continually growing exo-skeleton. My left wrist hurt so much while running that I convinced my doc to prescribe me something to keep the strain off until my appointment with the surgeon in November. It's a black splint and it looks like it's a fucking ppiece of my Post-apoc gear. I love it. 

The other good news is, I think I accidentally managed to outwit myself. 

How?

I am a natural night owl. I know, nerd keep saying this all the time when they fall through a rip in space time continuum and end up at 3am somewhere in Fallout, BUT... I literally have been like this since I was... 8-9 years old? I just function better when it's dark. 

Sadly, I also run better in the morning when literally nothing can distract me. See, where this is going?

Yeah. Slugging my way through the fog filled darkness of my hometown's parks at 6:30 in the morning. The worst part? And I swear, if you tell anybody we'll have a problem... I like it. 

I like that fog filled darkness more than you can possibly imagine! I love that nothing is distracting me and I just feel so at home!

Although I'm literally just crawling along... but hey...

so much better than summer. 

Anyways, the thing that doesn't get better? 

Getting out of bed. Chaos and the Hellbeast are not helping either... they love every minute spent in bed snuggling. 

Thanks guys, very supportive!

You should take a sheet out of alienjenn's book. Now THAT is supportive. 

PS: That was a rather long winded way of saying: Went snail pacing through the park this morning ^^

The bad news: I don't fucking manage the body weight workout. I have no idea, why. Probably the pain ;)

So if anybody has any ideas how to do pushup n stuff without aggravating my thoroughly aggravated wrist: spill

The good news: we reached level 2 in C25K. 

Next one tomorrow morning, looooong before getting up time. 

Why am I doing that to myself again?

I'm not sure what the wrist thing is. Sometimes I use the pull up bar ( mine is designed to use on the floor too)

It's similar to those "perfect push up" things

As for night owl? There is a reason I work nights ;)

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move