Forums are back in action! ×

Fat. Not so fat. Fat again. Soon not so fat again

Hey all

I'm an Aussie currently living in New Zealand on the off chance that there are more in the forum! Anyway, I'm getting myself back in the gym after a few years of doing absolutely nothing. Been going for about 10 weeks now doing the stronglifts 5x5 but I can't keep up with the squatting 3 days a week while running and doing the rest of my cardio.

As of yesterday I've started on 5/3/1

Current Lifts (Haven't truly tested my 1RM):
Squat: 95kg

Deadlift: 110kg
Bench: 75kg

OH Press: 55kg

Not watching my diet 100% yet. But. Work in progress. If there is any interest I may start a daily log with training and diet.

• Like 2

Hi! 

Welcome to your NF journey - I'm new here too. From Yorkshire, UK. Opposite side of the world to you though. 

On 18/07/2017 at 0:15 AM, Loyster said:

If there is any interest I may start a daily log with training and diet.

I love to look at other people's progress as inspiration and motivation for myself so I'm sure there would be interest in this - even if not then do it for yourself! Accountability seems to be a theme of NF that is helping me so far. Seeing an empty entry might be the motivation you need to avoid "gaps" in your progress. Battle logs also seem the place to do this sort of thing, if you have yet to come across them :)

So welcome, and good luck with your NF journey! 

"Little by little, one travels far."
J. R. R. Tolkien (1892 - 1973)

~ Constantly Respawning ~

Hey Loyster,

Welcome aboard!

It sounds like you are already way ahead of me in the gym-department!

While I'm from Europe myself I am sure that I have seen a couple of people reporting from NZ.

Maybe look around in the meet up section for other rebels in your area.

Maybe stop by in the warriors General chatroom of this month challenge?

I'm sure you'd find a lot of like-minded people there.

And if you feel up for it you could address the things you feel to lack in a rebels challenge?

But those are just ideas to feel your way around.

If something turns up feel free to ask or tag an ambassador.

Have fun around here

Casbin

Gesendet von meinem SM-A520F mit Tapatalk

• Like 1

Challenge: 0.1, 12, 3, 4, 5th, current (lost track)

Character

Hey Loyster, 

your numbers look ok for an end of stronglifts 5x5 (in fact, the OHP is really good). 5/3/1 worked for me for a while as well, in fact it was the program I used the longest (almost 7 months) and it dovetails quite well with a cardio/conditioning program. Bonne chance!

my journey to kickass-dom

E1RM: SQ: 130.9kg (Jul18); BP: 103.2kg (Aug18); DL: 150kg (Jun18); 
FSQ: 103.2kg (May18); OHP: 66.9kg (Dec17); PP: 72.5kg (Jul18)
2.4km/Cooper's Test: (10:22, Jun18)
Vitals: 40 yo, 1.7m, 74kg (Jul18)

11 hours ago, Caeleth said:

I love to look at other people's progress as inspiration and motivation for myself so I'm sure there would be interest in this - even if not then do it for yourself!

Thanks for that! After I've had a better look aroiund the forum to see what is on offer, I'll definitely start one.

9 hours ago, Casbin said:

Maybe stop by in the warriors General chatroom of this month challenge?

I'm sure you'd find a lot of like-minded people there.

And if you feel up for it you could address the things you feel to lack in a rebels challenge?

I'll check these out today! Thanks for the suggestion.

7 hours ago, godjira1 said:

Hey Loyster, 

your numbers look ok for an end of stronglifts 5x5 (in fact, the OHP is really good). 5/3/1 worked for me for a while as well, in fact it was the program I used the longest (almost 7 months) and it dovetails quite well with a cardio/conditioning program. Bonne chance!

I think I could of kept going for a while on 5x5 but the issue was I stalled on the squats. I wasn't able to keep it going raising the numbers while trying to run every night. Squatting 3 times a week is tough. Besides that I really miss volume. 5/3/1 BBB is amazing! Do you have a log? 

• Like 1

hey yes, my log is in my signature. 

I find volume the hardest variable for me to be honest. I respond well to high frequency, med-hi intensity, but low volume. Else I feel beat-up when I do my bjj, running, etc. 

Re squats on strong lifts - yes I thought it was quite mad!

my journey to kickass-dom

E1RM: SQ: 130.9kg (Jul18); BP: 103.2kg (Aug18); DL: 150kg (Jun18); 
FSQ: 103.2kg (May18); OHP: 66.9kg (Dec17); PP: 72.5kg (Jul18)
2.4km/Cooper's Test: (10:22, Jun18)
Vitals: 40 yo, 1.7m, 74kg (Jul18)

On 7/19/2017 at 3:00 PM, Loyster said:

I think I could of kept going for a while on 5x5 but the issue was I stalled on the squats. I wasn't able to keep it going raising the numbers while trying to run every night. Squatting 3 times a week is tough. Besides that I really miss volume. 5/3/1 BBB is amazing! Do you have a log? 

Hah, man after my own heart. Stronglifts squat stalls are inevitable and I did the same thing as you, eventually settling into 531. Imma stalk your log, but make sure you stalk the warrior challenge section. Most of the lifter community happens there and we gripe about programing, hate on cardio, and generally shit on crossfit; a good time is had by all.

Level 38 [Raveling Bard]

2 hours ago, Laghail said:

Hah, man after my own heart. Stronglifts squat stalls are inevitable and I did the same thing as you, eventually settling into 531. Imma stalk your log, but make sure you stalk the warrior challenge section. Most of the lifter community happens there and we gripe about programing, hate on cardio, and generally shit on crossfit; a good time is had by all.

Not going to lie, that sounds awesome! I'm always up for shitting on cardio and crossfitters so I'll check it out later today!