Forums are back in action! ×

Common sayings that we hate!

Guest Snake McClain

My mum turns everything I do into an "ing"

Are you Gymming tonight? Are you Zumba-ing tonight? Are you quizzing tonight?

No! I'm going to the gym! I'm going to Zumba! I'm going to the quiz!

Okay, I am totally guilty of turning nouns into verbs. I "google" all the time. :)

The two that kill me the most - irregardless and "supposably". It's regardless and supposedly. Not hard.

People who actually say O M G instead of "oh my god/goodness" verbally. Okay, people who say any text initials while speaking in general. I was once told "B R B" at the drive thru window. Are we so lazy we can't speak whole words now?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]The Horror Geek Half Dwarf Adventurer!

My Challenge Thread is here.

I have zombies to outrun! Failure is not an option!

Oooh and people who say "literally" all the time and inappropriately every single time. For example, once heard on The Biggest Loser, "He literally killed us" in reference to a particularly difficult workout from Bob. No, I'm pretty sure he didn't, since you're currently being interviewed on television.

I always thought the second 'so' in "so far, so good" was more about it flowly nicely rather than grammar.

George Carlin once did a sketch on this that I always loved, including stuff like "down the tubes", "piece of cake/easy as pie", "near miss", and many others. Here it is:

Also, these aren't sayings but I CANNOT STAND when people use the wrong forms of words.

HorrorGeek this is for you: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/literally

Ooooh the wrong forms one drives me nuts too. After a few hours of reading Yelp, I was driven to rant on FB about that very topic.

And thank you for that link - that was hilarious! And true...very, very true.

ok, (okay) for real this is what bugs me:

"Who wants to champion that?"

"Task". - I just all around hate this word.

That's really about it. oh except for:

I hate it when you have to listen to a lecture, or speech, or a sermon, or anything that involves you to have to be listening to someone talk about boring stuff for an undetermined period of time, and the person says a bunch of crap, and then they say "...but we'll discuss that a little later"

-- this statement implys that your "undetermined" period of time just got waaaaaaaaay longer, because now there is a "later", and you have to wait to get to it.

Never let your fear decide your fate.

i actually sort of like it when people say "totes". it makes me laugh.

Totes Magotes!

I had a friend who, whenever someone said "epic" would say "you mean long and boring?"

I hate it when people say "begs the question" when they mean "RAISES the question".

I always saw the difference as raising the question just following logic (if a, then b, this raises the question of why a first)?, whereas begging the question came more from challenging an extraordinary or dubious claim (gained 30 lbs of muscle in a week you say? This begs the question of exactly which ROIDS you were using)

Or I could be totally wrong.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

"It is what it is." Never before have so many words been regularly assembled to convey so little meaning. I'm starting to think there is a secret group of tautologists out to take over the world and this phrase was just the beginning.

"Totes" There were maybe three weeks where 'totes' instead of 'totally' sounded cute if you were a petite blonde posh British chick. It no longer sounds cute from anyone.

I always saw the difference as raising the question just following logic (if a, then b, this raises the question of why a first)?, whereas begging the question came more from challenging an extraordinary or dubious claim (gained 30 lbs of muscle in a week you say? This begs the question of exactly which ROIDS you were using)

Or I could be totally wrong.

I think it COULD be used in that respect: The word beg in this context means to dodge or evade. Begging the question is the same as a circular argument, because it doesn't answer the question (My foot hurts because it is in pain. That doesn't explain WHY your foot hurts). But I think you could make an argument for using it for a dubious claim (claiming to gain 30lbs of muscle in a week dodges the obvious question: What steroids are you on?). That being said... it would probably still bother me.

"It is what it is." Never before have so many words been regularly assembled to convey so little meaning. I'm starting to think there is a secret group of tautologists out to take over the world and this phrase was just the beginning.

That does beg the question. What is it?

"It is what it is."

Hate this one too, and as a Bostonian I get a steady stream of it from Bill Belichick during football season. Actually, listen to almost any sports interview and you will get a series of cliches and meaningless or completely obvious statements.

There used to be a higher up that was obsessed with the word "processes", but instead of saying the last es as "is", he would say it as "ease". So he was really saying "process e's". Drove me nuts until he left.

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

I have to agree with the all caps, that drives me nuts. I get all kinds of things at work "It is what it is" is becoming more popular, I've even caught myself using it from time to time. I get in trouble for saying "Dude", but I blame the 90s.

~Havock
N7 Lycan. Scout at heart, training with the Rangers.

{Level 1} STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 2

I am a pretty positive and accepting person, until it comes to grammatical mistakes, and stupid sayings, like many of you have mentioned here. I especially hate the overuse of the word 'epic'... I think that this person does a fantastic job of describing why it's horrible to use it so often:

http://itstartswith.com/2012/02/rant-words/

Level 1 Wood Elf Druid

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 1 | CON 3 | WIS 2 | CHA 3

First Challenge

seriously can't stand that phrase. i feel like it's just someone's way of not having to articulate a thought, or an excuse for not trying to make something better. 'oh well, i can't fix that. it is what it is.' blerggggg no it's not.

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

I love this thread!!! I'm a civil engineer, so I get to hear annoying things all the time. The phrases/ commonly misused words that irritate me the most have already been given here, but I just want to repeat them:

- Here's an FYI for ya (What? Here is "an for your information" for me?!?!?)

- Utilize (this is supposed to mean when you use something for something other than it's intended purpose, not just to sound fancier than saying "use" You don't sound fancy, you sound like an idiot!!)

-irregardless! It's not even a real word! From the Urban dictonary:

irregardless- A word used by uneducated people intending to sound intelligent.

-Let's take that offline (If you are on a conference call, fine, but if we are all in the same room, there is no offline, moron!)

In general, I just get really irritated when people use lots of big words just to try to sound smart. When something is written in an overly wordy style, my eyes glaze over and I have to read a sentense three times to try to make sense of it. Here is a classic example: However, it appears that reporting at the detailed level would be limited in the current state or significant data could be moved to a higher level in the data hierarchy to facilitate reporting ummm, what?

Warrior Princess Lisa

Super Hero in training- Ranger Squad C

STR-2 DEX-1 STA-4 CON-1 WIS-4 CHA-3

How can a Super Hero Ranger not win?

http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?10910-Super-Hero-in-training-challenge-log!&p=153311#post153311

Archived