Forums are back in action! ×

NF User Videos

Thrillho

People prefer the stooges? Really? :sad face:

Some people just don't get the refined humor of the Marx brothers. I mean... some people don't like British wit. Too much talking or something... you have to be able to pick up on things. With things like the Stooges... and movies like Tommy Boy (sorry, but I hate this)... you just have think people getting hit is funny.

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

In their defense, have you not laughed when someone falls? And I absolutely love Monty Python. I even went to see Spamalot. But I didn't care for the stooges when I saw them as a kid, and never had a chance to check out the Marx Brothers, though I do know of them.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

I love Monty Python also. And sure, I've laughed when someone fell... but it was usually someone I knew and they were laughing too. My initial reaction is something close to mortification. I can't watch Funniest Home videos because I just sit there and judge the person for holding the camera while their child hurts him/herself. I worry about people too much.

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

There's a wikipedia article on what should be common knowledge.

I'm already getting ready to film the parkour instructional videos. I think putting it all in the ranger guild would simplify things, but I think maybe a howto folder for every guild would work. We just would have everything in the ranger guild?

Also i can do some cooking videos too. Maybe a requirement for the videos is that you are wearing NF merch? And spezzi can have the final say so on if it goes into the forums? Or whatever.

Also I'm all for calling it the training grounds for the ranger guild.

My first reaction when someone falls is to run over and help them, and once they are ok my next reaction is to jest and have a laugh and get them to laugh about it. And I can't watch shows like that either, not because I worry about people, I just pity the state of stupidity we have reached. You shouldn't win $10,000 dollars for watching your kid run head first into a swinging bat and you just watch it and laugh, you should get the kid taken off of you or at least fined for child endangerment. I can understand an accident happening, but not doing anything afterwards is just wrong.

Level 1 Woodwose

Also i can do some cooking videos too. Maybe a requirement for the videos is that you are wearing NF merch? And spezzi can have the final say so on if it goes into the forums? Or whatever.

Final say I think is definite. If it's something instructional in the NF realm there should be some sort of quality control for both informational content and general public consumption. Especially if someone is wearing NF merch. That said I like to think they're loving this train of thought coming from the community.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Is it ok if we make our own NF gear, or is that coypright infringement?

You'd definitely have to talk to spezzy and Steve about that.

Well what's spezzi and steve's opinion on all this? I say we make the videos and send 'em to them. If they give the go ahead and create the sub forums. We post them and get it done.

They haven't weighed in on it yet.

I'm up in the air between having each training ground in the class' guilds, or having a separate video/instruction only section. Either way could work equally well, the biggest things would be what about the stuff that isn't related to a specific class. Such as life skills, and "knot tying, meditation, sewing, and making chainmail." Where could that stuff go? Would there be a video section in the Off Topic forum? Or would they just be slid into whatever place best fit it? Like chainmaile going in with the warriors, and meditation going in with the druids or monks.

And I would suggest instead of having NF gear, at the very least we should mention NF in the video or even possibly put a watermark on it. I'm sure some of the people that would like to contribute don't have any merch yet.

Level 1 Woodwose

Yep, I think it's unfair to require everyone to have NF merch to make videos. What if you have skills but no money?

Also, I think we're making this too complicated. Rangers, let's just make the videos as planned. Other people are welcome to watch our videos and make their own to post in their forums. They'll all show up under "What's New" anyways :)

Yep, I think it's unfair to require everyone to have NF merch to make videos. What if you have skills but no money?

Also, I think we're making this too complicated. Rangers, let's just make the videos as planned. Other people are welcome to watch our videos and make their own to post in their forums. They'll all show up under "What's New" anyways :)

Exactly. I agree. If other classes want to make videos, that's fine too. :)

I don't think requiring NF gear to make videos should be included at the moment. That would alienate many nerds. HOWEVER, If we could think of a way, aside from/in addition to talking about NF, to make sure NF is represented then that would be cool. It could even be as simple as having the site loaded on the computer in the background (not suitable for all skills.. but hey.. we can get creative).

I think those who were going to make videos should start and if this develops and Spezzy and Steve think it's a good idea we can work out the forum wide semantics then. Everything can be moved... but I really love the idea of a community wide sharing. I also like the idea of moderator approval of some sort but that's really up to them.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I don't think requiring NF gear to make videos should be included at the moment. That would alienate many nerds. HOWEVER, If we could think of a way, aside from/in addition to talking about NF, to make sure NF is represented then that would be cool. It could even be as simple as having the site loaded on the computer in the background (not suitable for all skills.. but hey.. we can get creative).

I think those who were going to make videos should start and if this develops and Spezzy and Steve think it's a good idea we can work out the forum wide semantics then. Everything can be moved... but I really love the idea of a community wide sharing. I also like the idea of moderator approval of some sort but that's really up to them.

And to be completely honest, I think most of this is unnecessary.

Just make the video private and only available by link. Only people who come to the site to read the forums will see and have access.

As far as community wide sharing and whatnot... the videos will all be here and be public to all users. I don't see the need for moderation either (normal forum moderation would suffice).

Guest Tigger
And to be completely honest, I think most of this is unnecessary.

Just make the video private and only available by link. Only people who come to the site to read the forums will see and have access.

As far as community wide sharing and whatnot... the videos will all be here and be public to all users. I don't see the need for moderation either (normal forum moderation would suffice).

^^Completely agree

I can't wait to see what you guys come out with :)

P.S. can there also be scaled versions of the basic skills for noobs like me?

I love Monty Python also. And sure, I've laughed when someone fell... but it was usually someone I knew and they were laughing too. My initial reaction is something close to mortification. I can't watch Funniest Home videos because I just sit there and judge the person for holding the camera while their child hurts him/herself. I worry about people too much.

I am the SAME way -- movies based on laughing at other people in awkward situations just don't do it for me; I sit there feeling mortified and awkward. Nothing enjoyable about it AT ALL. Maybe I just have too much sympathy for the underdog.

And, back to the topic at hand -- we're getting too f*cking complicated about this. You have a skill to share? Make a video. Upload it to your favorite video-sharing site (vimeo, youtube, whatever). Make it open only to people who have the link, and post a link to it somewhere appropriate in the forum. Done, and done.

If it's offensive or horrible or mean or whatever, then Spezzy & Steve have the right to delete the post, as they have with respect to any post here.

The Ranger Guild was working on topics and a schedule as much to make sure there was demand/interest and that it didn't all come flooding us at once. But if you have a video you want to make, go ahead and make it. If there get to be a significant number of them, maybe someone will make a thread collecting them all.

Just my $.02

LRB, Lifelong Rebel Badass  ||  June 3 challenge thread

"What I lack in ability, I make up in stubbornness" -me

"Someone busier than you is working out right now" -my mom

I have a video that I did for a class project about how to do fancy makeup for a night out. But I doubt anyone here would be interested in that since it has nothing to do with diet or fitness. So.

I need to know how to do my makeup!

NED talks is the best thing ever, and yeah - we're working on trying to come up with a cool solution for user uploaded videos in the NF realm. anybody have any suggestions? We're listening :)

Hope all is well guys - cheers!

-Steve

Rebel Leader. I post videos of my dog on Instagram, and sometimes even share fitness wisdom. SOMETIMES.

Archived