Forums are back in action! ×

Any Target Shooting enthusiasts?

Fink

In recent years I've really taken to going to the range and enjoying some good ol' target practice. I find that it forces me to clear my mind and focus on the task at hand, much like a good workout forces me to do. So does anyone else enjoy this hobby, if so what do you shoot? What kind of targets do you prefer (I prefer the zombie targets)

Heh, been a while since I shot, but I used to do it a lot growing up (rancher kid). Handguns I was never very good at, my accuracy was only really good for about 25feet. We shot at metal targets that make a nice ping sound.

Rifles though, pretty good. With a .223 and 7.62mm I can iron site 200 yards and hit paper plate targets.

My dad was a big fan of setting up coyote paper targets for practice besides plates and solo cups. Zombie targets would be fun though :D

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Yep. I have a 10-22 Ruger carbine (with a 25 round clip) and a Henry Lever Action 22 in the rifle area. Smith & Wesson 40 M&P and a Baretta 38 in the hand gun. Try to shoot every other month or so. I like the .22's cause they're cheap...

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Not sure if I "target" shoot, exactly, but I get to the range now and then to stay fresh with my duty weapon, a Glock model 22, 40 cal. I should go more often, and hope to when I free up more time.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

I like to shoot, but I hate the price of ammo. So I bought a plinker (a Beretta Neos .22 pistol). I can buy 500 shells for the same price as 50 9mm or .45 (what I used to shoot).

I'd love to get another 9mm, but I don't get to the range enough to justify it.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

Not sure if I "target" shoot, exactly, but I get to the range now and then to stay fresh with my duty weapon, a Glock model 22, 40 cal. I should go more often, and hope to when I free up more time.

Duty weapon? What do you do for a living? Cop, military/govt. or security? Those are the only ones I know of that have "duty weapons".

I love shooting, I mainly focus on my Taurus 1911 .45ACP, as that is what I carry for work and CCW. I just bought a Glock 19 9mm off of a friend last weekend, and this weekend I'm getting a Hi-Point CB9 9mm for a house gun. I also own a 1939 Mosin Nagant 91/30 and a Remington 20ga pump. As for targets, I shoot whatever I have on hand, usually cardboard boxes I get from work.

Skeet is fun, but I haven't done it in a while. Maybe need to get the clays out again.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Love getting in some range time whenever possible. Just picked up my permit to carry and am hoping to buy my first pistol soon. Anyone out there have recommendations/experience carrying? Looking more for a firearm for in the range as I won't carry very often.

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Jabba the Hupp, level 4 Dwarf Warrior

STR 21|DEX 9|STA 12|CON 9.5|WIS 5|CHA 1

[/TABLE]

My Bucket List

I love to shoot! I'm holding my dads beretta hand gun and rifle, and up until a year ago I had lived in the woods for 21 years, so I my target was normally something I drew out and nailed to a tree. I also like to shoot bow and arrow, but I'm limited to whatever my family has as far as equipment and targets. Both my parents are/were excellent marksman (my dad still, my mom doesn't "do guns" anymore) and the first time someone put a riffle in my hands I was shooting the tops off of bottles almost immediately. I live in a new city now and haven't been able to locate a gun range :( .

Love getting in some range time whenever possible. Just picked up my permit to carry and am hoping to buy my first pistol soon. Anyone out there have recommendations/experience carrying? Looking more for a firearm for in the range as I won't carry very often.

1.) Know your weapon and KNOW THE LAWS. I'm not trying to yell, but I cannot emphasize that enough. Is open carry legal in your state? If not, then know the difference between open and concealed, your cover shirt may ride up showing the butt of the gun, or you might be moving around and brush your jacket out of the way accidentally and be open for at least questioning by law enforcement. This is very unlikely to happen, but it still can.

2a.) Get something that you are comfortable with shooting. If you can't keep your grips on it and you can't hit what you are aiming at, don't carry it because you may be more of a danger to yourself or others than your intended target is. If you can't handle a Glock 29 (subcompact 10mm, really small and really powerful), then don't use it, and I would even recommend not owning it until you are comfortable enough to do so. Also, make sure your firearm has enough "stopping power" which is highly regarded as a misnomer, but is still accurate enough. A .22 pistol may not do enough damage to stop a threat from happening, but a .45 caliber has deep enough penetration and a large enough wound cavity to potentially stop a threat. I would recommend nothing smaller than a .380 in an automatic or .38spc in revolver.

2b.) Also related to firearm is size of the gun itself, find something that will fit your hand and will be easily concealable with your method of concealment (see point 3.) If you carry a full size 1911 (as I do), the be aware that it has a 5 inch barrel that can protrude from the back of a shoulder holster and "print" or show its shape through your shirt, it also has a large square-shaped handle that can "print" from an inside-the-waist (IWB) style holster. A Glock on the other hand, being double stack, is wider and that can cause other problems.

3.) Method of concealment. There are many ways to conceal a gun (never "wear" it without a holster of some sort), and each way has its advantages and disadvantages. Shoulder holster (my preferred method of carry) has the gun sit on your weak side under your armpit, it allows for great comfort but some people aren't comfortable with where the muzzle points, and you have to reach across your body to draw. IWB (my second method of carry on days that I don't feel like wearing an overshirt) is less comfortable, but is much more easily accessed and adjusted for the individual. Then there are pocket (remember to get a pocket holster), ankle, O(utside)WB, and many others. Go to a store that allows you to test them out, many will, and see what you like best. Bring a friend along so they can give you advice on how much printing shows up.

4.) Know your firearm and Know The Law. This cannot be repeated too many times.

Oh, and if this is your first pistol, I would recommend finding some friends that are shooters and offer to buy their ammo if they take you to the range and let you try their pistols. This will give you the knowledge to decide what type of pistol best fits your shooting style and comfort level.

Finally, I'll give you the advice of the guy I got my holsters off of. "Carry often, carry well, and hope you never need to use it."

Level 1 Woodwose

1.)

Oh, and if this is your first pistol, I would recommend finding some friends that are shooters and offer to buy their ammo if they take you to the range and let you try their pistols. This will give you the knowledge to decide what type of pistol best fits your shooting style and comfort level.

Finally, I'll give you the advice of the guy I got my holsters off of. "Carry often, carry well, and hope you never need to use it."

Thanks for the great response! I've only shot a few different pistols at this point, none of which have really been ideal for me. I think I will take your advice and continue trying various pistols until I find the right one.

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Jabba the Hupp, level 4 Dwarf Warrior

STR 21|DEX 9|STA 12|CON 9.5|WIS 5|CHA 1

[/TABLE]

My Bucket List

And remember, your final choice for a carry pistol (until you decide to get another) will decide how and when you carry. If the gun is too big or cumbersome, then you will be less likely to have it, on the other hand, if it is too small and you don't notice it in your pocket, you'll be unlikely to remember it in the morning before you step out of the door.

And if you do have a weapon (of any sort), always be prepared to use it for defense of yourself and others. If you are not mentally ready to do so, then do not have it on you. That will only lead to a false sense of security and stupid behavior when/if a situation goes bad.

Level 1 Woodwose

I do quite a lot of target shooting. Action pistol and silhouettes with military rifles right now. Going to try my first 3-gun match in May. I shoot several hundred rounds a month and own more guns than I care to list :)

I even had shooting related goals in my challenge, and probably will again. I've got some lofty 2012 shooting goals that I need to get focused on.

Thanks for the great response! I've only shot a few different pistols at this point, none of which have really been ideal for me. I think I will take your advice and continue trying various pistols until I find the right one.

I have a Ruger LCR .38 that I use as a carry, its got a bit of kick to it, but its right on for size and weight and reliability. Not something I put hundreds of rounds through

Archived