Forums are back in action! ×

Any Linux Users out here?

leadchipmunk

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS a.k.a. Precise Pangolin just came out yesterday. I think it is about time to wipe my system and see how they have improved Unity. I've been running Kubuntu for a few months now and am probably going to switch back to it, though the new version, when I'm done playing, but who knows I might just start liking Unity again. Especially for my netbook.

So, who here uses Linux and what distro(s) do you use?

I've used pretty much all of them I've gotten my hands on at one point or another, over the past 6 or so months, I would switch it up at least once every two weeks. Never found anything to settle on until I really started using kde4. Currently I run just Kubuntu on my main laptop, and tried getting Android-x86 on my netbook but never could get it working well enough for me. Might try again if I get the chance to get a touchscreen installed on it. I also keep Lucid Puppy, Backtrack 5r1 and Ubuntu 10.04 on a thumbdrive for fixing broken systems at work.

And at work, I have an approximately 50GB folder on the network that is filled with nothing but Linux distro .iso's.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

I split my time between OS X and Ubuntu. It always used to be that I'd have a reasonably powerful desktop running Ubuntu for serious desk use and an Apple laptop for web browsing on the sofa/ recording music.

Somewhat sadly my Ubuntu desktop has fallen well behind my Macbook in terms of speed by most measures and is now rarely used. I've been meaning to bring the desktop up to date for quite a while but I never quite seem to find the cash. It's a shame, I miss using Linux, maybe the release of 12.04 will be motivation to get me back on it.

Nothing for the desktop anymore. I've gone through several attempts with several distros. Starting from the most recent:

Mint - Most recent linux attempt on a laptop a few months back

Kubuntu - Had to check out a variant of Ubuntu to see the differences

Ubuntu - Debian for the desktop? Jumped on this when it was first released. Used it for quite sometime before going back to my trusty Debian.

Gentoo - Took a brief look, walked away mumbling "To hell with that!"

Debian - The one I always go back to. I've used it for desktop and servers, and I was one of the first (and at least, the first, to write up a guide) to get it on an old Powerbook 1400. Those were good times!

YDL - Yellow Dog Linux. This was my first step into linux. I believe it was a variant of RHL, specific to PowerPCs. I ran this on my PowerMac 533DP for a good bit of time.

Also, a very minimal install of Slackware in the form of unRAID currently runs my media server.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

I started using Linux in 1998 by dual booting Windows and Red Hat. I would use Windows for games and Linux for programming, and use the current OS for anything else. Somewhere around 2004 I switched to fully using Linux. I switched to Fedora. After a year of using it they discontinued support of my wireless card so I switched to Ubuntu. On my personal laptop I have used Ubuntu ever since.

I started a full time job in 2006 and used Windows on my laptop and AIX for development. In 2008 when I saw a coworker using Linux, I decided I could do all my work on Linux and AIX. At first I used Red Hat since that is what my coworker used. When I got a new laptop, I found out my company had fully supported Ubuntu and installed that since it is the same as my personal laptop distro.

My biggest recent complaint of Ubuntu is their focus on the Unity desktop. At least I can avoid using it (for now).

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

We deal with a lot of RedHat at work. Occasionally SuSe, but mostly RedHat now.

I used Ubuntu 11 for about 6 months on a machine I have at home, before I disassembled it with hopes of getting it back together with water-cooling. The pump died and I just haven't wanted to get it running so it sits dead still.

Learned how to code back in College on Fedora Core 2 (I think). But that's about it as far as what I use or used for Linux. I know enough to be dangerous but still have a hard time really doing much of anything on the systems.

I haven't been using Linux for all too long, a couple years back I would try it and then go back into Windows. Finally I got tired of Windows crashing on me, so I went straight into Ubuntu and almost never looked back. That was either 10.04 or 10.10. When Windows 7 came out, I went to a release party and got an Ultimate disk, but after it crashing irreparably multiple times, I went back to Ubuntu.

For a full-ish list, I've done

Android-x86, Arch, Ark, Backtrack, Chrome, Chromium, Debian, DSL, Fedora, Gnome, G-parted, Joli OS, Liquid Lemur, Mint, Peppermint, PMagic, Puppy, Samurai, Tiny Core, The whole Ubuntu family at one time or another, Ultimate, Watt, YLMF, Zorin...

There are others, but that's all off the top of my head.

Level 1 Woodwose

I've been using various distros over last 15 years. Development is done on OS X now but I've used Redhat (I found a copy of 7.2 a few months ago so I really need to throw away stuff more often), Suse, CentOS, Ubuntu, and Fedora mostly until the last few months when I made the switch. It's funny because I spend so much time on the mac using terminal. I am running several servers at work with RHEL 5, CentOS 5 and 6, and Ubuntu 10.04 and probably will be upgrading to 12.04.

Dwarf Monk

Challenge thread

Jcannon, how well does MineCraft work for you in Linux? I had it running fine on medium to high settings in Windows 7 but when I switched to Ubuntu it went downhill, I had to keep it on the lowest settings and it still lagged out on me. And that wasn't even network play.

Level 1 Woodwose

We were encouraged to experience Ubuntu as part of my Computer Science module in about Decemeber. At the same time I updated to Windows 7, which decided to unistall my sounds drivers and stop playing youtube videos, which made Windows slightly pointless. I started using Ubuntu as a back up while I sorted windows out, but ended up loving it and haven't switched back since :D I love the availabilty of free software!

Archived