Forums are back in action! ×

First computer build by myself!

I decided that Mr. Pirate's computer was not up to par. So for his bday gift last week, I built him a new computer.

As in, I researched all the components,

bought them all individually

wrapped them and put them around the house in a scavenger hunt for him to find.

Then, I spent yesterday afternoon putting it together.

And I nailed it on the first try!

Plugged the case and the monitor into the wall, and pushed the button while holding my breath, and it came right on!

Booted up, and loaded the OS in!

This was my first solo build.

I think its safe to say, that I'll never buy premade again!

Im pretty pleased with me-self!

~It's when Pirates count their booty that they become mere thieves.~My Fitness Pal TrackerMy 6 Week Challenge Page- Scout

Congratulations! You learned the number 1 way to save money on computers. Now we can just work on getting Windows out of your life and you will be set.

Every time I take a computer apart or build one, I still hold my breath when first powering it on hoping for no magic smoke to be released.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

I've built four or five of them over the years ... still occasionally have to break them down and rebuild when they won't power up on the first attempt. Congratulations.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

thanks everyone!

Chipmunk-if it was for me, and not someone else, I would be totally willing to get windows out of there!

Pixie! Hugs :) you're too cute

Tinman - Im not sure who's more excited about using it, him or me!

Maledictus- I was totally prepared to do that! I wasn't expecting to get it right this time! beginner's luck i guess

~It's when Pirates count their booty that they become mere thieves.~My Fitness Pal TrackerMy 6 Week Challenge Page- Scout

I decided that Mr. Pirate's computer was not up to par. So for his bday gift last week, I built him a new computer.

As in, I researched all the components,

bought them all individually

wrapped them and put them around the house in a scavenger hunt for him to find.

Then, I spent yesterday afternoon putting it together.

And I nailed it on the first try!

Plugged the case and the monitor into the wall, and pushed the button while holding my breath, and it came right on!

Booted up, and loaded the OS in!

This was my first solo build.

I think its safe to say, that I'll never buy premade again!

Im pretty pleased with me-self!

Specs or didn't happen :P

But grats! I love putting together new computers! Just got my tax return in last week, which means I ordered a new computer right away! Just waiting for my case to come in later today and I will be setting up a new beast of a machine!

Specs or didn't happen :P

Yep, that's right, this is NerdFitness!

Years ago I started building my own machines and hackintoshes and have never looked back. The only pre-built machines I will get from this point forward will be laptops, or if I ever upgrade my Mac Mini to a new one.

Congrats on the solo build!

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

well, fine! PFFFTTTTT!

:smug:

CPU: Support for Intel Core i7/i5/i3/Pentium/Celeron processors in the LGA1155 package. Chipset: Intel H61 Express Chipset

Memory: 2 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB of system memory. Dual channel memory architecture. Support for DDR3 1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules. Support for non-ECC memory modules.

Audio: Realtek ALC887 audio codec. High Definition Audio. 2/4/5.1/7.1-channel. LAN: 1 x Realtek 8111E chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)

Expension Slots: 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16. 3 x PCI Express x1 slots.

Storage Interface: 4 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATA2 0/1/2/3) supporting up to 4 SATA 3Gb/s devices. 2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (GSATA3 0/1) supporting up to 2 SATA 6Gb/s devices. Support for RAID 0 and RAID 1.

Back Panel Connectors: 1 x PS/2 keyboard/mouse port/1 x D-Sub port/1 x DVI-D port/4 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports/2 x USB 3.0/2.0 ports/1 x RJ-45 port/3 x audio jacks

Internal I/O Connectors: 1 x 24-pin ATX main power connector/1 x 4-pin ATX 12V power connector/4 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors/2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors/1 x CPU fan header/1 x system fan header/1 x front panel header/1 x front panel audio header/2 x USB 2.0/1.1 headers/1 x Clear CMOS jumper

USB: Up to 8 USB 2.0/1.1 ports. Up to 2 USB 3.0/2.0 ports on the back panel.

Processor, Memory, and Motherboard

Memory Slots: 2

Ports and Connectivity

USB Ports: 10

Free PCI Slots: 4

Cases and Expandability

Size (LWH): 11 inches, 10 inches, 3 inches

Archived