Forums are back in action! ×

BSG vs StarWars

Adama1508

Erm ... Original star wars and new BSG ... Don't ask me to pick between those two.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Oooh. Star Wars. But only just. I love me some new BSG. I mean, come on. It's like a space soap opera with bonus fighter jets and explosions and drug trips, what's not to love? And it has Starbuck, who is seriously, seriously messed up and also awesome.

That said, I haven't actually seen all of the series. Huh. I should do something about that.

I can only please one person a day.

Today is not your day.

Tomorrow doesn't look good either.

I just gotta go out there and say... Star Trek!

Just messing, I never watched BSG, and I've seen all of Star Wars except Episode 3 and the Clone Wars movie and cartoon. So, I'm saying the Wars win this round for me.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Guest Snake McClain

BSG. The only thing good about the Star Wars Universe is the universe. the movies are kids. The clown shoes of sci fi in my opinion and isn't even all that original. BSG shows up knocks out 4 seasons and built an entire complex world of characters and mythology. Just a better story. better acting. Better directing. More interesting scenarios. More complex characters. interesting battles. I never once when watching star wars even as a kid thought, "oh no i hope they make it out alive." in star wars i always knew they would. I always knew the good guys would be fine and unscathed. With BSG you get a real sense of danger. anyone can die at any time. anything can happen. It's a better plot. better drama. and better source material and they don't need fancy special effects to make up for what they lack in a turd of a movie.

of course i'm talking the new BSG. haven't seen the orig.

Guest Snake McClain

I'll just say. as a writer myself. if my finished product was star wars I'd be ashamed to put my name on it. it made a ton of money. because of kids. it is geared for kids. and that's fine...when i was a kid. but now as an adult i've just grown so out of it. i look at star wars and just think it's stupid. except Empire. Empire is great. I just don't think that i could write star wars and look at it and say, "yeah this is good." I would seriously write it and then look at the finished product (if i could get that far) and say "this is bad. what was i thinking?" Then go do something else.

I think the best star wars material is either clone wars cartoon or the comics.

I'll just say. as a writer myself. if my finished product was star wars I'd be ashamed to put my name on it. it made a ton of money. because of kids. it is geared for kids. and that's fine...when i was a kid.

I'm just curious, what sort of context are you seeing this in. I mean Star Wars at the time of its release was the greatest action / special effects movie ever made. By a longshot. Compared to what came before there really is no comparsion. Even the new trilogy was a pretty big step in digital filmmaking, but the old trilogy was revolutionary in that respect.

But you are right that it is a kids movie. The fact that the Empires elite ground forces were taken out by a tribe of teddy bears should be a pretty strong hint.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

I'm just curious, what sort of context are you seeing this in. I mean Star Wars at the time of its release was the greatest action / special effects movie ever made. By a longshot. Compared to what came before there really is no comparsion. Even the new trilogy was a pretty big step in digital filmmaking, but the old trilogy was revolutionary in that respect.

I believe that it is in the context of it being a sci-fi fairy tale. In its deepest sense, it is a good-versus-evil fairytale with (of course) good ending up as the winner. But it still was (and still is) some of the greatest action movies made. The new trilogy, while being a precursor to the events of the original, did seem to be more directed towards kids though, especially Episode 1.

Snake, you knocked Star Wars for being childish, but you said your favorite material from it was the cartoon (made for kids and shown on the Cartoon Network, as was the Clone Wars movie) and the comics (though not specifically made for kids, it has an appeal to them). Want to explain that one?

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Haha... This is how I know this site is truly full of nerds! And I love it! For me its BSG all day... The character developments is amazing and the physics of their space flight is as close to accurate as you will see out of pretty much any sci-fi.

SOME SPOILERS BELOW

Here's why BSG

1. The flight physics (I'm an engineering student, don't make fun!) of their Raptors and Vipers are amazing

2. Col. Tye... Nuff said.

3. The ending to BSG leaves you wrecked. You can't tell if you want to watch the whole thing again, or throw your tv out the window because you have nothing left.

4. The use of Jimi Hendrix is phenomenal

5. My friends and I have debates about humanity based off of the end of BSG

6. The Adama Maneuver

7. They shoot nukes at each other. Freaking nukes!

8. The women are so smoking hot..... SO HOT!

Now, I will say that Star Wars is pretty good, but it is good because it is classic... And it is classic because it was the top of its game and the first of its kind when it came out. And I love Ewoks and Wookies as much as the next guy (the plan is to make enough money to fund the creation of an Ewok species), but at the end of the day, BSG is mind-blowingly, out of control, Sex on the Beach, Space Epicness. Even though light sabers and the Force is awesome.

That is all.

-What do you hear?

-Nothing but the rain

-Then grab your gun and bring in the cat.

STAR TREK IS THE BEST...PERIOD

Babylon 5 is second

Now...for the fight for 3rd place....and the winner is....

Battlestar Galactica (both versions)

star wars sucks...hella sucks... Stupid story about a whiny brat who sires another whiney brat. The only thing that sucks worse than star wars...and I really hate to say it because it's really insignificant... was firefly. That REALLY sucked.

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

Archived