[Yuen] Slightly above maintenance

It's been a long time since I've posted on NF. I guess I haven't really had a need to post, since I was very consistent at keeping up with my exercise and fitness stuff without any extra motivation. Also I started to get a bit time poor.

However I'm in a small slump at the moment, and have been a bit lazy exercising for the past week. So the little NF bookmark in my bookmark bar beckoned to me...

Really really basic maintenance program: over 1 week I will do 2 days of leg exercises (usually 1 legged squats), 2 days of pull exercises (various pull up variations), and 2 days of push (bench press my body weight - 80kg for however many reps). Core is whenever I feel like it. Cardio is running with the dog (I hate cardio but my dog sucks worse than I do at it).

Goals:

(1) I need to post every day what exercises I have done. That includes tonight even though it is 9:20pm in Sydney, Australia when I am posting.

(2) Aim for slight improvement week by week (ie just above maintenance level).

(3) Err that's it. Edit: Read or catch up one other person's challenge per day.

No theme... I'm boring and I've never really liked doing themes :)

EDIT

Legs (1 legged squats) 5,5

Core (leg raises) 25

Feeling good that I did something today... time for bed :)

Read Hatter's challenge

• Like 5

Welcome back!

• Thanks 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

17 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Are you competing against a greyhound or a sausage dog here? ?

Mikey is a labrador who was trained by guide dogs! https://www.instagram.com/p/C_b-qGBTDdK/?hl=en&img_index=1 I'm not great at picture sharing, but here is an instagram picture of our beautiful Mikey with the family.  Admittedly the picture is mostly focused on a new car, but Mikey is still front and centre :)

Pull (pull ups, no weight, normal technique)

11,12,13,14 reps

Read: Elastigirl's challenge (I'm very excited to see people from over a decade ago who are still going strong!)

Dropped the car off early enough to get to work on time. Coolant issue will be covered under warranty (yay for warranties extendable up to 15 years!) but will take a few days. I don't mind because I have a shiny new loan car to use in the mean time. On my way home, I dropped over a box of Krispy Kremes to the dealership and my service guy to say thanks for getting me in so quickly!

• Like 3

Hey there! Super cool to see you back here. That's great to hear that you've kept up with your fitness.  Looking forward to cheering you on this challenge.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Push (80kg bench)

Core (leg raises)

Read: Rookie's challenge (nice simple goals... same as mine :))

An excellent level of mild muscle ache after moving lots of boxes yesterday. Spent a lot of the day researching a new technique prior to cadaver lab booked in for next Tuesday. Still had time to take the family to Yum Cha :)

• Like 3
18 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

What an adorable floof!

Oooh tell me more! Umm, in a totally non-creepy way.

There is an operation/prosthesis which is finally being made available to Australia, but has been around for 10+ years in Europe. It is a joint replacement for arthritis of the basal joint of the thumb. Lots of people/companies have tried to make a long lasting joint replacement for the basal thumb over the last 70 years, but all have failed (some spectacularly)... until now. This particular prosthesis is looking at a 90% 10y survival rate. It is SOO much better than the option of just chopping out the arthritic bone and chucking it in the bin.

The company has made a cadaver lab a mandatory requirement for any surgeon before they are allowed to put the prosthesis in real patients. That's fine... except they weren't going to have a cadaver lab until Feb 2025. So I pestered them until they gave me and 3 other surgeons from my hospital a special cadaver lab session for the 4 of us tomorrow. I've already been researching and attending multiple talks/demonstrations for this prosthesis... I'm super excited to finally be able to start fixing something I had no good solution for before. 

Legs (1 legged squats) 5,5

Read AerynLee's challenge

• Like 5

We are rooting for you! Is there a little self care thing you can do to bolster your contentment? A cup of tea? A quick walk? A bath, maybe? Sometimes When I am feeling a lack of motivation it is really just a baby burnout and I need some TLC. I hope that this little lull passes for you!

• Like 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, Yuen said:

Push (80kg bench)

Core (toes to bar)

Read: DoubleTrouble's challenge

Losing a bit of motivation. Hopefully it is was the rain (and tax meeting with the accountant) today that got my mood down, and I will bounce back tomorrow..

Some days are just less motivation than others. Hoping tomorrow is better!

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

19 hours ago, Sovalis said:

We are rooting for you! Is there a little self care thing you can do to bolster your contentment? A cup of tea? A quick walk? A bath, maybe? Sometimes When I am feeling a lack of motivation it is really just a baby burnout and I need some TLC. I hope that this little lull passes for you!

18 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Some days are just less motivation than others. Hoping tomorrow is better!

Thank you both for the encouragement! Yesterday turned out to be just an abnormality: I still think it was all the finance-y homework my accountant gave me...  that sort of work just sucks my energy like a dementor. But today I was back in high motivation mode. Lots of pats with my dog, and hugs and quality time with the wife and kids filled my energy levels back up again :)

Pull (pull ups, no weight, normal technique)

6,11,12,13,14,15 reps

(Uneven pull ups)

1,1 - a bit tired so gave up rather than cause myself tendonitis again

Core (toes to bar)

Read: ElectricTrailRunners' challenge

• Like 4
17 hours ago, DoubleTrouble said:

Wow 21 pullups in one go

I ruined my tendons (medial epicondylitis/golfer's elbow) trying to regain a 1 arm chin up, and I had trouble doing a single 2 armed pull up without pain for about 2 years. I'm on a very slow road to recovery, and my main aim now is to avoid further injury (rather than to regain the glory of my youth :))

---

Speaking of avoiding injury... I still felt like I needed time to recover today so I did a very different routine (whilst still mainly focussing on Push)

Core (toes to bar) 5 reps, then immediately Push (80kg bench) for 5 reps

Did that about ?7 times throughout the day.

Read: Jean's challenge

• Like 3
On 9/9/2024 at 1:45 PM, Yuen said:

There is an operation/prosthesis which is finally being made available to Australia, but has been around for 10+ years in Europe. It is a joint replacement for arthritis of the basal joint of the thumb. Lots of people/companies have tried to make a long lasting joint replacement for the basal thumb over the last 70 years, but all have failed (some spectacularly)... until now. This particular prosthesis is looking at a 90% 10y survival rate. It is SOO much better than the option of just chopping out the arthritic bone and chucking it in the bin.

The company has made a cadaver lab a mandatory requirement for any surgeon before they are allowed to put the prosthesis in real patients. That's fine... except they weren't going to have a cadaver lab until Feb 2025. So I pestered them until they gave me and 3 other surgeons from my hospital a special cadaver lab session for the 4 of us tomorrow. I've already been researching and attending multiple talks/demonstrations for this prosthesis... I'm super excited to finally be able to start fixing something I had no good solution for before.

That's so cool! What makes the thumb so difficult compared to other joints? Is it just that the hand is small and delicate or some other reason? How come it wasn't made available in Australia until now?

On 9/17/2024 at 12:20 AM, Mad Hatter said:

That's so cool! What makes the thumb so difficult compared to other joints? Is it just that the hand is small and delicate or some other reason? How come it wasn't made available in Australia until now?

Yes you got the reason first go. Small and delicate makes it hard. The design is very similar to a hip replacement. The hard part is making the socket stable (rather than the ball attached to a stem). In the hip the socket goes into your pelvis bone, which is relatively huge when compared to the tiny trapezium bone in your hand which is like 1cm deep.

It wasn't available in Australia because all the previous attempts did well for 1-3 years, then failed spectacularly after 3-5 years. And no one really started to take notice of this one until it was showing decent 10y prosthesis survival rates. Then the usual red tape got in the way. There still is some left over red tape that is being fought as we speak.

Wed - rest day

Thurs

Push (80kg bench)

5,7,9,14 (true max, ie failed when trying to go rep 15)

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1