13 minutes ago, Harriet said:

You don't blend them, you shake them. With a cheap shaker bottle with a small metal wire ball for breaking up clumps. As long as you get an adequate quality one, they mix well enough. Can you have dairy? If so optimum nutrition's double chocolate is a fine choice, especially if blended with milk

Ah, this is good to know. Will have to see about giving it a go. chocolate sounds good

i have considered doing fruit +protein powder smoothies, but our blender is not good with liquids so getting a new one has kind of discoraged me from giving it a try

• Like 2

the creative spelling comes as standard. Enjoy! 
A journey of thousand miles, begins with a single step - Lao Tzu

Challenge: #1#2#3#4#5#6#7#8

Chillout and recharge day today. Have to get back into my normal schedule. 
cold here now and very wet, so i skipped going out so i can go easy on the ankle as I've done a lot of walking in the past week and it is sore. Tomorrow we have thunder storms forecast and more heavy rain. Need to take my poor pelargoniums in pots into the greenhouse as it is so very wet out there. 

soup season is here again. Definitely making porridge (from rolled oats, my favourite kind) and soup tomorrow. Might do the tuscan bean soup again or maybe the orzo soup recipe i have floating around. Feel like something non spicy right now. 

Have a jar of tomato pesto in the cupboard i must remember to throw at some hot pasta for lunch occasionally. I have been meaning to make miso again for ages too. Sadly we didn't out any pakchoi in this year, but there is lots of chard and that Works brilliantly in miso soups. 

now the house is free of guests i can start with the mando again. Between sharing the house space and lots of outings its always impossible to do when anyone is staying. 

• Like 6

On 9/24/2024 at 1:08 PM, Sea-to-sky said:

We dont have a blender, so they are kind of a non starter for me. Plus everything ive had with pea protein in it i have hated the taste of the pea protein. Which has not enthused me to try hand mixing one

Dunno what changed in the last couple years, but suddenly we have shelf-stable dairy-based protein shakes that taste okay-ish. They usually come in a 4- or a 12-pack and you literally just open these carton/bottle thingies and down them. Best chilled tbf - The American brands usually run 150-ish calories per and 30g of protein. Nice option for out and about when I'm not sure what food or budget options are going to be. Costs roughly $1.75-$2.50 per bottle here.

The Tesco brand looks like "for goodness shakes" and they're 1.30 sterling, 195 calories, and 25g protein. For all i know, they're the same shit as the American shakes but with more stringent nutritional information. 

image.webp.89c04f00f0b510e04af79fe339f77972.webp

Zero shade if they're not a good fit for you. 

On 9/24/2024 at 1:08 PM, Sea-to-sky said:

Becky chambers books are on my tbr chillout list. I am savings them for the right low energy day

She makes me so happy. Very gentle, but also zero shade if you and Becky disagree with each other. 

• Like 1

Level 38 [Raveling Bard]

14 minutes ago, Laghail said:

Dunno what changed in the last couple years, but suddenly we have shelf-stable dairy-based protein shakes that taste okay-ish. They usually come in a 4- or a 12-pack and you literally just open these carton/bottle thingies and down them. Best chilled tbf - The American brands usually run 150-ish calories per and 30g of protein. Nice option for out and about when I'm not sure what food or budget options are going to be. Costs roughly $1.75-$2.50 per bottle here.

The Tesco brand looks like "for goodness shakes" and they're 1.30 sterling, 195 calories, and 25g protein. For all i know, they're the same shit as the American shakes but with more stringent nutritional information

I live in the absolute back of beyond and have only ever seen The bags of  powdered stuff round here. Next time im near tesco’s i’ll have a look, but am still on the no immulsifyers plan. Which can make finding new foods surprisingly challenging when they are readymade. 
if they look reasonable it would be nice to have something to up the protein content in my energy balls with too. 

• Like 1

went for a (very) short walk today. Wanted to go further but i did alot the last week and a half so erring on side of not messing up the anole again. 
The sea is slate grey and the rain clouds are rolling in. We have lightning storms forecast today but got sunshine unexpectedly this morning (strange localised weather systems 1 meteorologists 0). The weather is picking up though, so i dont think it will be long.

IMG_20240926_103130_360.thumb.jpeg.d6716debc5a39ded3720eed501fd9288.jpeg

had a cup of tea in my local cafe. Sat reading and when they took the cup away i just kept sitting there reasonably guilt free. So personal progress was made.

felt good when everyone else cleared out not long after making me feel like i had worried unnessisaritly about taking up a table. 

someone had the most beautiful window box of huceras . They are such nice low maintenance plants and look amazing. Makes me want to do a plant pot with some, inspite of having a ton in the garden already. 

IMG_20240926_102921_657.thumb.jpeg.b3a65b0995a4fd1904faf9e2251d7c19.jpeg

Spoiler

IMG_20240926_103015_519.thumb.jpeg.5469771ede843fd7542aee488832282a.jpegIMG_20240926_103420_551.thumb.jpeg.7b895e1ce65316cb8697b4a67b71cba0.jpeg

picture from the trip to marazion the other day

IMG_20240924_140544_209.thumb.jpeg.e36d6c12b7cc6a5853b8abd373c471b9.jpegIMG_20240924_130029_546.thumb.jpeg.c34f526cf8752a0c544ad587a7cb8ad7.jpeg

trying to get back to my usual routine now. Going back to being conscious of what I'm eating after 2 weeks of grabbing whatever whilst out is a slight culture shock. Was actually easier to fall into than expected though. Clearly been doing it long enough for it to wear a habit grouve. Yay progress?

Made myself an autumn reading list to work though. And by autumn i mean Halloween.  becuase the end of sept is early enough to start celebrating everything spooky, clearly. 
currently reading Malice by heather walter. Which i have wanted to read for a while (perfect villainy themed) and was onsale. So serendipity. 

• Like 7

On 9/25/2024 at 10:39 AM, Sea-to-sky said:

Definitely making porridge (from rolled oats, my favourite kind) and soup tomorrow.

I misread this as saying that porridge was your favourite kind of soup and I was like "yeah, same, 'soup season' is weird but I love sticky glop when it's chilly." But, er, I guess it's just me. Enjoy your soup, it is the perfect time for it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, Radost said:

misread this as saying that porridge was your favourite kind of soup

Imean, if you screw it up porridge and oat broth are kind of adjacent on the cookery spectrum ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So, finally got round to making soup today. Had an “i need to stop putting this off” moment and just threw ingredients at the pan. Right now it is something tomato and chipotle flakes based which i am going to attack with borlotti beans and yogurt.

Hopefully it will turn out ok.

not much is going on right now it is very wet here and i am trying to rest my foot. If it isn't horrible in the week i need to get out of i am going to start climbing the walls in frustration. Not being able to go for walks is really really doing my head in. 

ho hum. Made myself an autumn reading list, that is really technically Halloween themed. Because why not. having fun working my way through it slowly. 

IMG_2461.thumb.jpeg.bb0ea84217f4fd856e276f561fea4854.jpeg

the cherry tree has lost so many leaves now. We’ve had lost of very windy and wintery days (and wet) that have really stripped them very quickly this year. 

The hawthorn trees are amazing this year and so full of berrys. Lots of berrys everywhere his year to be honest. Usually that means its going to be a really cold winter. Have to wait and see.

adoring Malice so far, but pretty tired. Need to find a good chill out tv show i can watch quietly. 

Spoiler

IMG_2464.thumb.jpeg.d1727e0015af2d3092ea7245164adddf.jpeg

IMG_2460.thumb.jpeg.79a6cc8a32e606d17cb61c033d8876b4.jpeg

IMG_2450.thumb.jpeg.9617390027b250bfb879275082a6660c.jpeg

IMG_2452.thumb.jpeg.11e78fe583d40613bd88e1f5f96a715d.jpeg

IMG_2453.thumb.jpeg.532815f0cc4fc074042102000482d14a.jpeg

IMG_2454.thumb.jpeg.6fe735e72b3aa486f4683f2cc1c4637e.jpeg

IMG_2455.jpeg

• Like 6

The wind has been blowing a lot here, too, and has brought a lot of the leaves in my yard down already. Many trees on the boulevard still have theirs, but it looks a little sad in my corner of the world already. Last year we didn’t get snow until January which is super duper late for us (Normally sometime in October, could be as early as late September) and I just felt lousy until the snow showed up because everything was bleak and grey and lifeless. You still seem to have a lot of green foliage which is such a beautiful contrast to the colours that are changing. ❤️ 

• Like 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 hours ago, Sovalis said:

You still seem to have a lot of green foliage which is such a beautiful contrast to the colours that are changing.

We stay green all year round here. Snow is not a regular thing here. Most years we barely get frost. We are a  mediterranean climate so can grow many semi tropicals all year round. If it weren't so wet in the winter i could leave my pots of succulents out there all year.  I have a few pots of lace aloe and mexican snowball that really dont care and just live outside all year. People grow giant yuccas and things in their gardens as ornamentals too. 

• Like 3

Today started well. Got most of my to do list done. Is very stormy here with much torrential rain so the fire got lit (very cozy).

started next months bujo pages (Halloween themed, because why not)

annoyingly though i now have a cracking headache that snuck up on my during the day, and no amount of water or paracetamol seem to want to touch it. 

have my leggings on today. Have been making a point of standing in front of the mirror when i wear them have got to the point where i feel less self conscious about having them on. Yay, progress. 

otherwise today has been pretty slow due to the weather essentially grounding us.  

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Sea-to-sky said:

Have been making a point of standing in front of the mirror when i wear them have got to the point where i feel less self conscious about having them on. Yay, progress. 

IMG_7763.gif.8ac1b2edcd9650e7a52dd0128702343d.gif

Progress! I take a lot of selfies for similar reasons. Leggings are comfortable and I’m glad you’re feeling less self-conscious about making a comfortable (and probably cute and fun) choice. 

I’m sorry you have a headache! Hope it eases soon. Otherwise sounds like a perfect fall day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Radost said:

s. Leggings are comfortable and I’m glad you’re feeling less self-conscious about making a comfortable (and probably cute and fun) choice. 

They are awesome. They’re blue with pink stars and planets on them. Also have pockets. Am seriously considering getting a second pair in another pattern

thankfully the headache has eased off now. Not sure what it was but i might have just overheated.  The CFS often mucks with my heat regulation.

• Like 4

On 9/28/2024 at 9:00 AM, Sea-to-sky said:

So, finally got round to making soup today. Had an “i need to stop putting this off” moment and just threw ingredients at the pan. Right now it is something tomato and chipotle flakes based which i am going to attack with borlotti beans and yogurt.

Hopefully it will turn out ok.

Oh, how'd it turn out? 

ho hum. Made myself an autumn reading list, that is really technically Halloween themed. Because why not. having fun working my way through it slowly. 

*ahem* sharing is caring.

the cherry tree has lost so many leaves now. We’ve had lost of very windy and wintery days (and wet) that have really stripped them very quickly this year. 

Very much living for this ongoing progression on your cherry trees. They're very special trees to my region of the great lakes. 

The hawthorn trees are amazing this year and so full of berrys. Lots of berrys everywhere his year to be honest. Usually that means its going to be a really cold winter. Have to wait and see.

How stable are your region's weather patterns? I think we're experiencing a 1.5 FH increase that's certainly affecting our winters and the lake effect in our region.

adoring Malice so far, but pretty tired. Need to find a good chill out tv show i can watch quietly. 

GBBO is playing here lately. Do you ever watch Over the Garden Wall? 

On 9/29/2024 at 4:01 AM, Sea-to-sky said:

We stay green all year round here. Snow is not a regular thing here. Most years we barely get frost. We are a  mediterranean climate so can grow many semi tropicals all year round. If it weren't so wet in the winter i could leave my pots of succulents out there all year.  I have a few pots of lace aloe and mexican snowball that really dont care and just live outside all year. People grow giant yuccas and things in their gardens as ornamentals too. 

I've really enjoyed learning about your region. That's wild. 

19 hours ago, Sea-to-sky said:

Today started well. Got most of my to do list done. Is very stormy here with much torrential rain so the fire got lit (very cozy).

started next months bujo pages (Halloween themed, because why not)

annoyingly though i now have a cracking headache that snuck up on my during the day, and no amount of water or paracetamol seem to want to touch it. 

Very here for anything Halloween themed, except a Halloween themed headache. 0/5 stars

19 hours ago, Sea-to-sky said:

have my leggings on today. Have been making a point of standing in front of the mirror when i wear them have got to the point where i feel less self conscious about having them on. Yay, progress. 

Congrats on the progress!!

• Thanks 1

Level 38 [Raveling Bard]

1 hour ago, Laghail said:

Oh, how'd it turn out? 

Soup was good. Especially as i left it a bit long and caught some of the beans. 

How stable are your region's weather patterns? I think we're experiencing a 1.5 FH increase that's certainly affecting our winters and the lake effect in our region

Spoiler

We are getting summer droughts on and off and then very wet winters the last couple of years. Jet stream is pretty bent out of shape now due to global warming messing with our weather patterns. Tends to park weather over us for long periods on and off. This year we had a mini el niño, which is very very not normal for us.  Not good for the sea life at all here as it hasn't evolved for that kind of ecologial insanity. 

GBBO is playing here lately. Do you ever watch Over the Garden Wall? 

Not yet, will go take a look

our cherry tree is awesome, is useless for flowers but i think it is definetly one bread for amazing autumn colour, 

ahem* sharing is caring

Is pretty long. will not get through it all probubly

wicked (for obvious reasons)

evocation by S.T.gibson

Wolfsong by t.j.klune

Long live evil

If found return to hell by em.x. Liu

The god and the gumiho by sophie kim

Blood orange by karine halle

Throne in the dark by a.k.caggiano

the vine witch luanne smith

The crimson crown by heather walter (same writer as malice)

• Like 3

Today was slow but nice. Pretty washed out (still have the corner of a headache).  Kind of have that fuzzy post migraine feeling so took it easy today.

went for lunch with my brother and picked a healthy (grilled) option as i still cant exercise in any meaningful way. 
poked around a few charity shops and managed to score a new long sleeved top, Black with orange botanicals on it, Which will be good for the winter. 

rehomed one of my old and very worn out jumpers i had been keeping in the bottom of my chest of draws “just incase” to my mother (for gardening). So one less thing i never wear in there. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Everstorm said:

That feeling when there aren't enough pages to cover how much story is still left

Ooh that is the worst. 
almost as bad as when they try to jam all the rest of the story into the last chapter of the book. 

i have several series i am not starting yet as i need book 2 to come out first

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Everstorm said:

bow before your superior self-control.  

Its more an “i know my crud memory will force me to reread the whole series before i can read the new book” thing ?
but thanks

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It is sunny here (yes, i know. I was surprised too) so went out for a cup of tea and a cautious poddle whilst the weather is good. Clouds where being very photographic and the light was so pretty. Made me wish i had brought the camera with me. Must set it up and have a play with it. Snapped some on my phone but it is not great at photos (which i have left on my phone, so will retrieve later)

My local has started doing pumpkin spice and other autumn flavours drinks. I am addicted to cinnamon hot in chocolate so ordered one. slight misunderstanding meant it  Came to the table with a humungous mound of whipped cream and a flake and honey comb (a type of burnt toffee we have here) and caramel sauce on top. Looked amazing but i got it switched for one without the 300 unexpected calories on top. (Bonus points for asking for what i ordered and not just lumping it in a food joint). 
may order one with all the frills as a treat at some point, but trying to be careful at the moment as i still am not getting my usual level of exercise due to ankle. Aiming for maintenance calorie wise. 

Experiments in going on one of my usual walks have resulted in my concluding that as long as i don't go too fast or make my stride length too long and take plenty of rest breaks, i can definitely get a decent walk in if the terrain is flat (tarmac preferred). So progress. 

saw a churm of goldfinches on my walk. Rescued a caterpiller. Petted many cool succulents growing in the hedge. Watched corvids ride the updraft from the cliff edge. All the usual things i love about taking a book to the cliffs. 
trying to get as much in as possible before the winter weather closes in.

Going out tomorrow so hopefully the good weather sticks. 

• Like 5