Sea-to-Sky takes things slow

I am still getting over a horrible virus so right now the current plan is to take things slow and not push myself too much til i am feeling better. 

Definitely a time for being kind to yourself and not trying to juggle too much. 

that said, i am going to put a few small goals on here, which the possibility of adding more when my energy levels are less dire. 
the majority of this i am very much going to be playing by ear and try not to push myself too hard til my energy levels bounce back.

reduce the TBR: 

this went well last month so is going to continue. Trying to get through more of my to be read pile is going to be ongoing as it is quite big, but progress is good for my mood and my shelf space. 
as per last time, trying not to buy any more books. Though i will allow myself a couple of new ones i desperately want if i can stick to the “do not buy more books” throughout the rest of the month. 

Food that loves you back

@Harriet mentioned this in another topic and it got me thinking. When i am at a low point health wise i am prone to comfort eating highly processed empty calories. Which is kind of the opposite of what you need when recovering from something. 
This is a habit i want to break in the long run as it does not serve me well health or happiness wise.

so, goal is to cook some new foods and see if i can find healthier alternatives. things i enjoy i can reach for instead of the usual endless fried snowballs, sugar and chocolate. 

1-2 new recipes a week (energy levels depending). 
try to make healthy choices as well as fun ones. Preferably low complexity so i can repeat next time i get a bug. 

sleep cycle

to aid with the recharging, im continuing to try for good sleep habits. 
this goal did not go the best last month, due partly to life getting very stressful half way through. Now everything is back to some form of normality i want to try again. So, as before. 
Lights out 10-10:30 pm.

i also felt i needed to sort the other side of the equation, so for this round i am going to try

get up at a sensible time (eg. within half an hour of waking up, or 7:00 if before then. Maybe give myself one lie in a week. Im thinking sundays?)

Afternoon nap

i hate them but right now its needed. 
CFS/M.E lashback after a virus is not the most fun so i need to do the sensible things. 

Build the Bard skills

Besides learning new tunes, i want to crack chords on the mandolin. 
as im a session player this means also learning the guitar chords and which mandolin chords correspond to them so i can copy others when i tune i don't know come up (which will be just about all of them as im new at this) . 

upside: i did used to play guitar, so have some familiarity with the guitar chords. 

downside: mandolin chords are so completely different it is going to be a certain amount of relearning things to stop making the wrong G chord shape automatically. 

Practice mandolin 2x a week

at some point, i want to crack crosspicking, but right now i think not pushing the boat out too far, too fast is probably sensible. 

Room sorting

Due to last month going to pot, this kind of fell by the wayside slightly. But its now back on the agenda.

chances are this will flip over to the next challenge, but the to do list currently reads 

-finish sorting book shelves

-sort top of desk

-finish sorting boxes

-sort and organise art supplies

-finish sorting jewellery hoard (be more ruthless)

-sort top of cupboard

- frame and hang pictures

- take things to charity shop

-go through blanket box

want to go back to trying to do a little a day as it does make good progress. 

• Like 9

the creative spelling comes as standard. Enjoy! 
A journey of thousand miles, begins with a single step - Lao Tzu

Challenge: #1#2#3

I am here! That looks like a well rounded challenge. I am glad you are grounding it in kindness and gentleness, you deserve all of the rest and recovery. 

• Like 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Learn to love the nap! Naps for health!

Nap Time GIF

Naps feel good and help things heal.

I have eyes-closed-rest rules, which may or may not become naps when sleep is needed. When the brain is tired, it must be rested.

(If it helps with the TBR pile and the rest, Rivers of London has unusually and absurdly good audiobook versions. Audiobooks that please audiobook haters. Audiobooks so good they shifted the author's take on one of the characters. Like, genuine major TV drama grade performances on every character. They're great for lying down and closing your eyes.) ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

15 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

I like to make and freeze chicken and rice soup to have on hand when I am ill.  That way, low energy doesn't get in the way of good choices, since it is as easy to choose well as poorly.

This is a good idea i will have to try.

7 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

If it helps with the TBR pile and the rest, Rivers of London has unusually and absurdly good audiobook versions. Audiobooks that please audiobook haters. Audiobooks so good they shifted the author's take on one of the characters. Like, genuine major TV drama grade performances on every character. They're great for lying down and closing your eyes

I already have the first book in the series but will have to check them out at some point. 

58 minutes ago, Sea-to-sky said:

as per last time, trying not to buy any more books. Though i will allow myself a couple of new ones i desperately want if i can stick to the “do not buy more books” clause. 

How are you going to buy more books without buying more books? 

58 minutes ago, Sea-to-sky said:

Food that loves you back

@Harriet mentioned this in another topic and it got me thinking. When i am at a low point health wise i am prone to comfort eating highly processed empty calories. Which is kind of the opposite of what you need when recovering from something. 
This is a habit i want to break in the long run as it does not serve me well health or happiness wise.

so, goal is to cook some new foods and see if i can find healthier alternatives. things i enjoy i can reach for instead of the usual endless fried snowballs, sugar and chocolate. 

May I suggest more meat if you don't already get a decent bit and if it does not offend? 

• Haha 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

2 minutes ago, Harriet said:

May I suggest more meat if you don't already get a decent bit and if it does not offend

I am a carnivore in a house full of carnivores (plus our token vegetarian ❤️. Who is amazingly tolerant of us lot) so no offence at all. am actually trying to up the meat intake a bit as it seemed like an easy way to up the protein in my diet without upping the fat too much. 

7 minutes ago, Harriet said:

How are you going to buy more books without buying more books

Yes, that did come out quite confusing 🤔. Maybe i mean, let myself have 1 or 2 new books a month max…or something. Coherent Englishing is hard when i am tired

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Sea-to-sky said:

This is a good idea i will have to try.

Any sort of bulk cooking works for low energy periods. Soups, stews, easy curries. Rice cookers are low energy, and when sick, just make the maximum and portion it out. Get the most meals out of every bit of cooking effort. Eat one, store five.

I was sick most of January. It was the worst. I did lots of bulk meals so they were grab and go. But I also filled a huge fruit bowl with oranges to decorate my germ quarantine space and also snack on, put cough drops in a nice glass jar, and so on. Healthy snacks can be good here, and will be more fun to grab if they look nice. Fill the cookie jar with healthy mixed nuts. Get a bowl of fruit. Buy the pre-sliced cheese to grab and go. Pots of yogurt that just need a spoon. Bank some cooked meals for sure, but also just plan for recovery and the need to conserve some energy by having a little zero prep food and a few things you can keep in reach. Cooking is a lot easier if you can save up the energy to do it.

26 minutes ago, Sea-to-sky said:

I already have the first book in the series but will have to check them out at some point. 

I highly recommend them, which is unusual for me, because I hate most audiobook readers. The reader on these is seriously good, possibly even better than the written book. If your local library does digital loans, it may have them.

• Like 4

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

21 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Any sort of bulk cooking works for low energy periods. Soups, stews, easy curries. Rice cookers are low energy, and when sick, just make the maximum and portion it out. Get the most meals out of every bit of cooking effort. Eat one, store five.

I was sick most of January. It was the worst. I did lots of bulk meals so they were grab and go. But I also filled a huge fruit bowl with oranges to decorate my germ quarantine space and also snack on, put cough drops in a nice glass jar, and so on. Healthy snacks can be good here, and will be more fun to grab if they look nice. Fill the cookie jar with healthy mixed nuts. Get a bowl of fruit. Buy the pre-sliced cheese to grab and go. Pots of yogurt that just need a spoon. Bank some cooked meals for sure, but also just plan for recovery and the need to conserve some energy by having a little zero prep food and a few things you can keep in reach. Cooking is a lot easier if you can save up the energy to do it

Thanks for All the good ideas. 

The house always has a lot of fruit, so i have been having many blueberries and grapes in an effort to choose healthy snacks. I always struggle when i am over the bug but in the low energy recovery stage. Its one part boredom/low mood, one part not being up to making more tempting food.
Need to put a tad more effort in and make some things like bruchetta as we have all the stuff in the fridge. and its just throwing it at the toast and then in the oven

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Laghail said:

Following no matter what, but I want mando tunes and pic of your jewelry horde as you sort through

Mando tunes are a given (i mean, who doesnt love new mando tunes). No promises on the jewellery hoard photos as it is kind of all over the place and in many boxes and man do i need to dust my dresser top 😆. Plus i have kind of done one big sort already and got shot of a ton of things i just was not going to wear again. Might photo some of my faves if i remember

• Like 2

Here for all the gentle recovery and kindness!  Following. 

• Like 1

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Svastha: Standing in One’s Own Power

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Continues her Quest of Strength

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 , #6 , #7 , #8 , #9#10#11

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

Getting a few things done between chilling today. Had most of a bulb fennel in the fridge hat needed using, so even though i cant eat it right now as my stomach is still a bit sore, i made a massive double batch of tomato, chilli and fennel soup. (Recipe at bottom for anyone who hasnt seen it before).
Haven't blitzed it yet so its still chunky. put a few sun dried tomatoes in there too for extra tomatoeyness. 
going to freeze it in batched for another day. 

IMG_8168.thumb.jpeg.1ee8c7c962702fe1697c7362526e30ed.jpeg

couple of new bujo pages. As usual, they are in a semi permanent in progress stage

IMG_8167.thumb.jpeg.e8cf2ce3b433affa546a7b3e92f6c4b7.jpeg

IMG_8166.thumb.jpeg.ceaac197c44d2e895537577e567d43bd.jpeg

Did try to write in blue on this one, but the mildliner disappears slightly when its used over the brushpens. Would be nice to have a few coloured fineliners eventually. They’re something i want to experiment with drawing wise as ive seen lovely work done in them and they’re a medium that really appeals to me. 

want to play with blending the brush pens, if anyone knows of any good tutorials for them a pointer in the right direction would be amazing. 
starting and art sketchbook for practice and experimentation (eg. All the crud that looks so messy but it very important to the learning process) is on my list of goals along with the calligraphy. All things for another week though when i have more energy though. 

slept well last night. Lights out and trying not to slug a bed all went well. Definitely helps me have a better start in the mornings, despite the temptation to lurk in bed and read. 
chilling marine life GIF by pikaole

going to chill now, drink my jasmine tea and continue watching my way through resident alien. Finally managed to get the second season here, so very excited about that. Brilliantly funny show. If you like scifi and /or Alan Tudyk i seriously recommend you check it out. 

reading through A.J. Sherwood’s “how i stole the princesses white knight and turned him to villany” again at the moment, as i love it and want to reread the new book in sequence. 

chilli, tomato and fennel soup

1/3 -1/4 of a bulb fennel (depending in how much fennel you like)

1 onion 

sprinkle of chilli flakes

2 tins of tomatoes  (400g ones, incase your country has different size tins)

chop the onion and the bulb fennel. cook off the onions and chilli flakes (or you can add the chilli later if you like it hotter). Add the fennel and Cook off. Add tomatoes then cook. Blitz it well with a blender before eating. 
good with a spoonful of greek yogurt in it. If you find you've made it too hot, you can also cook a few spoons of yogurt into it. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Sea-to-sky said:

Getting a few things done between chilling today. Had most of a bulb fennel in the fridge hat needed using, so even though i can eat it right now as my stomach is still a bit sore, i made a massive double batch of tomato, chilli and fennel soup. (Recipe at bottom for anyone who hasnt seen it before).
Haven't blitzed it yet so its still chunky. put a few sun dried tomatoes in there too for extra tomatoeyness. 
going to freeze it in batched for another day. 

IMG_8168.thumb.jpeg.1ee8c7c962702fe1697c7362526e30ed.jpeg

That looks so delicious!!

going to chill now, drink my jasmine tea and continue watching my way through resident alien. Finally managed to get the second season here, so very excited about that. Brilliantly funny show. If you like scifi and /or Alan Tudyk i seriously recommend you check it out. 

I dunno man, I love Tudyk but I'm still not over losing Wash in Serenity.

reading through A.J. Sherwood’s “how i stole the princesses white knight and turned him to villany” again at the moment, as i love it and want to reread the new book in sequence. 

Doing the same series!! Just a delightful read, especially at bedtime.

• Like 2

Level 38 [TBD]

Fennel is a most excellent vegetable. Enjoy your soup! 

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

56 minutes ago, Laghail said:

I dunno man, I love Tudyk but I'm still not over losing Wash in Serenity

Yeah, broke my heart too. Definitely a yelling at the screen moment

glad your enjoying the book. One of my go to comfort reads and always makes me laugh. Such a fun twist on classic fantasy tropes. 

5 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Fennel is a most excellent vegetable. Enjoy your soup! 

Thank you. 

Woke up tired today. Not ideal as today i have a family birthday party to go to. Not a large one, but it is something I've been looking forward to so am rather annoyed today is not a better day energy wise. So frustrating.
image.gif.9328218bff90e7fc1c42584c8355b5c4.gif

unsurprisingly today is mostly going to resting with a side of reading just so i can actually enjoy going. 
small upside though, there was left over pancake mix for breakfast so i made a blueberry pancake for breakfast (with about half a punnet of blueberries, just how i like them). 

• Like 4

I hope the party will be okay regardless of the tiredness. Oooh, blueberry pancakes sound wonderful.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 3:30 PM, Sea-to-sky said:

Maybe give myself one lie in a week. Im thinking sundays?)

YMMV, but for me this actually makes things harder. As much as I like a lie in, it throws out my sleep schedule for the next could of days. (Within reason that is - I can get up at 6am on weekdays and 7am on weekends and that's fine, but if I lie in until 9 on a Sunday it messes things up a bit.)

On 3/22/2024 at 11:26 AM, Sea-to-sky said:

chilli, tomato and fennel soup

1/3 -1/4 of a bulb fennel (depending in how much fennel you like)

1 onion 

sprinkle of chilli flakes

2 tins of tomatoes  (400g ones, incase your country has different size tins)

Oo, thanks for this. I just for a bulb of fennel in our veg box and I was wondering what the hell to do with it. WW hates fennel, but I might just make a big batch of this for myself to have through the week,

• Like 2

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 16  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 9  -  SAN: 19 -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Downtime

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70 71

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up