image.png.6b4e801cb39153449b67fa3e693bafb7.png

“Into every generation a Slayer is born: one girl in all the world, a Chosen One. She alone will wield the strength and skill to fight the vampires, demons, and forces of darkness; to stop the spread of their evil and the swell of their number. She is the Slayer.”

Follow along as I search for the true slayer among the crowd of promising potentials - the true slayer is a comedian who can excel at the the four marks of destiny - laughs per minute (LPM), story telling, presence, and X factor. I also shouldn't have to say this, but because of woke I'll be very clear, a comedian is a woman. I have no time for so called "male-comedians", those men who make a career of voice acting r/incel posts. I understand there are queer men, disabled men, BIPOC men, Jewish men, and men with hilariously exploitable trauma who can do a passable job as actual male-comedians; but the true slayer slays, without a hyphen.* 

To find the true slayer, I need to train like a slayer, and I'm focusing on the following areas for this challenge:

• Lore 
    • Head on pillow in bed reading fiction by 11pm - 5x/week
    • Continued Duolingo streak by noon -  7x/week
  • Meditation
    • Ass on meditation pillow for 5 minutes or more - 7x/week
    • Bodhrán meditation 3x/week
  • Strength
    • 3x8 65% work - 4x/week
    • 15 mins HIIT - 4x/week
  • Punching 
    • Empty the attic
    • Attend one Stammtisch 
    • Attend one open mic
    • Learn "the Ballad of Jed Clampett"
    • Complete the book and workbook "Change Your Story Change Your Life" (CYSCYL) by Carl Greer
    • Design and produce statuettes
      • St Sebastian / Apollo
      • The Norns
      • The Black Madonna of Czestochowa Erzulie Dantor
      • St Rita of Cascia / Marsha P Johnson
    • Produce pre-designed statuettes
      • Eve-Asherah
      • Gullveig-Freyja
    • Redesign and produce statuettes
      • Brigid
      • Persephone
      • Fro-ingvi
    • Produce prayer beads
      • Green agate and oak choker
      • Unakite and rose quartz counting bracelet malas
      • Obsidian and agate counting bracelet malas
      • Jasper and copper counting bracelet malas
      • Jasper "dude" bracelet
      • Coffee-tone steel "dude" bracelet 
    • Get two tattoos

*Expect lots of standup clips, and a decent amount of AI generated images of vampire slayers as comedians

image.png.ee3315dca0fcbc9da4e20043b722bf4f.png

• Like 8

Level 38 [TBD]

11 minutes ago, Laghail said:

To find the true slayer, I need to train like a slayer, and I'm focusing on the following areas for this challenge:

• Lore 
  • Meditation
  • Strength
    • 3x8 65% work - 4x/week
    • 15 mins HIIT - 4x/week
  • Punching 
    • Empty the attic
    • Attend one Stammtisch 
    • Attend one open mic
    • Learn "the Ballad of Jed Clampett"
    • Complete the book and workbook "Change Your Story Change Your Life" (CYSCYL) by Carl Greer
    • Design and produce statuettes
      • St Sebastian / Apollo
      • The Norns
      • The Black Madonna of Czestochowa Erzulie Dantor
      • St Rita of Cascia / Marsha P Johnson

*Expect lots of standup clips, and a decent amount of AI generated images of vampire slayers as comedians

image.png.ee3315dca0fcbc9da4e20043b722bf4f.png

Boobs! I mean, um, good luck with your challenge. 

• Haha 4

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

2 hours ago, Everstorm said:

Buffy The Vampire Slayer GIF by Pop TV

Sounds interesting.  How is it so far?

Good and very bad; it's a Jungian therapy book, so the very bad parts are it has a metric fuck-ton of journaling prompts. Good for me but I loath this kind of work, too much history of high-control environments which were partially administered through violations of privacy around journaling and diaries. Probs very healthy to work through my blocks as an adult where I can guard my own privacy and then burn the workbook afterwards if I want. The excellent parts are that it's self-mediated therapeutic work with build it meditative assignments, which always makes my actual therapy sessions more productive.

• Like 7

Level 38 [TBD]

Following!

• Like 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Following!

• Like 1

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Svastha: Standing in One’s Own Power

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Continues her Quest of Strength

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 , #6 , #7 , #8 , #9#10#11

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

image.png.da2ef4e9437e9596ecf62e5d18687efb.png

Our slayer for the day is Dulce Sloan, and there's a reason she's the first slayer we're encountering in this challenge. It's difficult for me to to put into words how much I love her, sweet Jesus; the best moment of my life was hearing that NPR's "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" had her on as a panelist. I dropped a 21 min full set from her 2019 Comedy Central spot and it is the apogee of comedy.

Spoiler

Also a 4:55 minute clip for the especially ADHD of us.

Spoiler

LPM

Storytelling

Presence

X Factor

image.png.88788f1769a21c3138e767b8f4199bb0.png

Slayer Training (zero week doesn't get reporting, instead this is me fucking around with formatting)

• Lore 
      • 🔲 🔲 🔲 🔲 🔲  
      •  🔲 🔲 🔲 🔲 🔲 🔲 🔲

• Meditation
      •   🔲 🔲 🔲 🔲 🔲 🔲 🔲

•   🔲 🔲 🔲 

• Strength
    • Bench
      • 5x5 80%
      • 3x8 60% 
    • OHP 
      • HIIT 15 mins
  • Punching 
    • Empty the attic
      • Liam and I surveyed the attic and broke the whole thing down into discreet tasks yesterday. Not the worst start to the project.

Life Stuffs

• Glad it's zero week because I got caught up in Neverwinter Knights 1 last night and was up until 1:30. I have some regrets.
  • Had a great lesson on Tuesday and got assigned the Beverly Hillbillies theme to work on. Surprisingly fun little piece, below is a modern recording. Also assigned to go to an open mic as a spectator in April and a participant in May. Let the anxiety commence!!
  • I've been procrastinating on getting Liam's dissertation printed and bound, and my deadline is now 8 days away. Someone please yell at me tomorrow if I haven't ordered it by then?? 
  • I've been weirdly promiscuous with the gents lately. Something about spring fever has my introvert self going to queer men's events of the type that I've shunned these past few years. I'm sleeping well and making decisions that support my long term goals, or else I'd wonder about my family mental health history and bipolar II. Luckily I have great mental healthcare in place to rule that possibility out, and apparently I'm just going through an exploration phase?? Weird to do this in my late 30's but I suppose it beats buying a sports car (ethical non-monogamy paradigm here, this is a commentary on my normal introversion preference, rather than any kind of ethical breach).
  • Are people watching X-men '97? I have thoughts
  • Like 6

Level 38 [TBD]

Oh she's a delight lol Dulces delivery is 🙌🏼 I started with the short video but now I think I need to watch the long one lol. 

Oh exploratory stage can be fun though! Yours sounds way more fun than mine right now. As long as you are having fun that's great! 

• Like 1

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

1 hour ago, Laghail said:

Also assigned to go to an open mic as a spectator in April and a participant in May. Let the anxiety commence!!

Oh, are you doing a live performance? Comedy? I didn't realise you were actually training for a real event!

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

7 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Oh, are you doing a live performance? Comedy? I didn't realise you were actually training for a real event!

Nooooo, my depressive episodes can be impressive but not enough to do standup. This is a music open mic and I'm doing banjo. And I'm not crazy like @Sea-to-sky, I ain't singing and playing at the same time. Figure I'll get used to open mics and busking with just playing, then worry about singing next year or so. 

1 minute ago, Sea-to-sky said:

Have you tried the expansions yet? Theyre my favourites. Found the main “fix the plague” quest less to my taste.

vampires and blizzards settings are where it is at

I tried Undrentide back 2003 or so, but it's been a hot minute. I was obsessed with the shapeshifter classes back then and loooved the Shifter, but I'm doing a solo playthrough of a wizard/fighter and console commanding to run +3 levels above the intended PC level. Giving me more of a Witcher play experience than the party management style that I wanted to avoid. And agree on "fix the plague" plot, deeply uncomfortable with slaughtering hordes of prisoners to save the cops who were running a recreational torture operation. 

• Like 7

Level 38 [TBD]

17 minutes ago, Laghail said:

And agree on "fix the plague" plot, deeply uncomfortable with slaughtering hordes of prisoners to save the cops who were running a recreational torture operation. 

Oh, i forgot about that bit. No its not the most enjoyable plot in places. 

• Like 1

the creative spelling comes as standard. Enjoy! 
A journey of thousand miles, begins with a single step - Lao Tzu

Challenge: #1#2#3

1 minute ago, Sea-to-sky said:

Still trying to crack the “playing mando with other humans” part. That seems like enough of a challenge for the moment

Oof, same. I had a friend over for the holidays and she played along with fill-in-licks on her ukulele while I worked through a set, but I'm utterly powerless to return the favor if she wanted to play the melody.

• Like 3

Level 38 [TBD]

30 minutes ago, Laghail said:

This is a music open mic and I'm doing banjo. And I'm not crazy like @Sea-to-sky, I ain't singing and playing at the same time. Figure I'll get used to open mics and busking with just playing, then worry about singing next year or so. 

Sweet!

Well this challenge is a whole load of awesome! 

Two questions:

1. What are you reading?

2. What language are you learning?

I must know! 

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

9 hours ago, Laghail said:

Had a great lesson on Tuesday and got assigned the Beverly Hillbillies theme to work on. Surprisingly fun little piece, below is a modern recording.

forgot to attach the video!

5 hours ago, deftona said:

1. What are you reading?

2. What language are you learning?

@Sea-to-sky turned me onto AJ Sherwood’s light novels for when I need brain candy that has great banter and a slow burn M/M romance. 

spacer.png

But for nights when I have some brain left at the end of the day, there’s a lengthy and breathtaking series by David Verbung that expands the range of the fantasy genre. It’s truly exceptional, completely free, and I’m getting a quote from the series tattooed on my leg in two weeks.

spacer.png

Languages, I’m B2 in German and working towards A2 in Norwegian. My Spanish regressed and I’m half-heartedly pushing back to A2; mostly resentful because every American is studying Spanish on Duolingo, but I’m reading Angela Davis’ biography and she’s challenging me to get over the casual racist contempt that Americans feel towards Latin American political thought. Soooo, time to earn some literacy in Spanish I guess. Damnit. 

What led you to study Greek?

• Like 8

Level 38 [TBD]

6 hours ago, Laghail said:

What led you to study Greek?

Two reasons, really. Firstly I wanted a side quest - I'm British and we learn French in secondary school so I picked it up again a few years ago to brush up and I'm nowhere near totally fluent but it's passable and I wanted something new to sink my teeth into. 

Also, my boyfriend is Greek and although they speak English I'd like to make an effort with my in laws and his friends.

• Like 2

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

7 hours ago, Laghail said:

there’s a lengthy and breathtaking series by David Verbung that expands the range of the fantasy genre. It’s truly exceptional, completely free, and I’m getting a quote from the series tattooed on my leg in two weeks

Saving for when the brain hamsters arent on strike

• Like 1

the creative spelling comes as standard. Enjoy! 
A journey of thousand miles, begins with a single step - Lao Tzu

Challenge: #1#2#3

On 3/21/2024 at 5:19 PM, Laghail said:

Ass on meditation pillow for 5 minutes or more

I have to ask - what's a meditation pillow?

On 3/21/2024 at 5:19 PM, Laghail said:

Well, if I wasn't already following this challenge, I would be now!

On 3/22/2024 at 3:34 PM, Laghail said:

Also assigned to go to an open mic as a spectator in April and a participant in May. Let the anxiety commence!!

Exciting stuff! My experience of open mic nights is that almost everyone there has come to play, which means that everyone's a bit nervous but also really supportive of everyone else. You'll be great.

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 16  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 9  -  SAN: 19 -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Downtime

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70 71

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up