Whisper: Subtraction via Addition

I've been feeling really strongly that what I need to do with this challenge is to cut way back on media and video games. I'm getting stuck on endless and often mindless loops, and fixating on things I have no power over. The endless analysis of every step as they count down to the election is pointless for me. I'm not in one of the seven states where my vote might matter; this breathlessness isn't doing me any favors. And looking around my apartment, I'm in escape / distraction mode. I am not present to the things that I can have an impact on.

So, no MSNBC, no video games, no political podcasts, no scrolling YouTube Shorts, no, no, no, no

Only, I've met myself before. I don't work well with a list of no's, and even if I try to stick to them, I end up not knowing what to do with myself. So, I'm going to say no to the nos. I'm not going to work on removing things, I'm going to work on displacing them. Add things that are pleasant and or beneficial.   

Daily tasks

Morning constitutional

AM & PM prayers

AM & PM oral hygiene

AM & PM Spanish

30 minutes of cleaning / sorting

30 minutes of creativity. Painting, drawing, coloring, violin ect.

30 minutes of growth reading.

30 minutes of fun reading

I feel like I might be forgetting things, but this is good for a start.

• Like 10

We are not sinners trespassing in the garden of an angry God.

We are prodigals come home; fully seen and deeply loved.

Spoiler

Saturday

Daily tasks

Morning constitutional

AM & PM prayers

AM & PM oral hygiene

AM & PM Spanish

2 Ed to Go lessons

Specific goals

Make challenge thread

Schedule eye exam

Renew driver's license

Put groceries away

Hang "Your Attention is Necessary"

• Like 3

Spoiler

woot

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Saturday

Daily tasks

Morning constitutional

AM & PM prayers/2

AM & PM oral hygiene/2

AM & PM Spanish

30 minutes of creativity. Painting, drawing, coloring, violin ect.(coloring)

30 minutes of growth reading.(Sex Differences in Christian Theology) 

30 minutes of fun reading(The 5th Elephant) 

2 Ed to Go lessons/2

Specific goals

Make challenge thread

Schedule eye exam

Renew driver's license

Put groceries away/2 (perishables only)

Hang "Your Attention is Necessary"

/2 (found, put together and placed, but couldn't find what I need to stick it on the wall)

Sunday

Daily tasks

Take meds

Morning constitutional

AM & PM prayers

AM & PM oral hygiene

AM & PM Spanish

2 Ed to Go lessons

Specific goals

Run video at old church

Try new church

Laundry

Schedule eye exam

Renew driver's license

• Like 5

Spoiler

Sunday

Daily tasks

Take meds

Morning constitutional afternoon, but it counts

AM & PM prayers

AM & PM oral hygiene

AM & PM Spanish

30 minutes of creativity. Painting, drawing, coloring, violin ect.? Did a logic/math puzzle for a bit but not sure if I want to count it. Wrong part of brain.

2 Ed to Go lessons

Specific goals

Run video at old church

Try new church

Laundry

Schedule eye exam

Renew driver's license

Monday

Daily tasks

Take meds

Morning constitutional

AM & PM prayers

AM & PM oral hygiene

AM & PM Spanish

2 Ed to Go lessons

Specific goals

Fold clothes

Schedule eye exam

Renew driver's license

I've got the early start this week, at work 2.5 hours early, so no morning connotational. I'll see how things are when I get off and maybe walk then.  Realized I had some questions about my vision coverage, so I've sent that to HR, so hopefully I'll get answers and that scheduled today. 

The new church was nice, if a bit strange. I've been in that church several times, even worshiped in that Sanctuary, but never as part of the normal Sunday morning service.  Knew a few people, could see myself going there, but really want to try out a bunch of places, including traditions that I'm not used to. I've always defaulted to some flavor of Lutheran, I want to experience some of the others before making any decisions. 

• Like 8

Spoiler

On 9/7/2024 at 12:10 PM, Whisper said:

I feel like I might be forgetting things, but this is good for a start.

Absolutely. That is an excellent list of things to do that will make your life better.

5 hours ago, Whisper said:

The new church was nice, if a bit strange. I've been in that church several times, even worshiped in that Sanctuary, but never as part of the normal Sunday morning service.  Knew a few people, could see myself going there, but really want to try out a bunch of places, including traditions that I'm not used to. I've always defaulted to some flavor of Lutheran, I want to experience some of the others before making any decisions. 

I will be curious to hear about the different churches you visit. It is amazing how people who believe mostly the same things have such different ways of sharing worship.

• Thanks 1

Level 80  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

7 hours ago, Whisper said:

I've always defaulted to some flavor of Lutheran, I want to experience some of the others before making any decisions. 

As someone who has done this, I recommend going back a few times  to each contending place before officially joining a church. I really hope you find a good fit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Following!

• Thanks 1

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy” -Nightbirde

“Dreams do not come true all by themselves. They are nourished by the bounty of hard work”  -Unknown Disney Imagineer

2024 Word

Svastha: Standing in One’s Own Power

Current Challenge:

Sepherina Focuses

Prior Challenges

Spoiler

Sepherina:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 , #6 , #7 , #8 , #9#10#11, #12, ,#13#14, #15#16, #17

Avery The Patient:

#1 , #2 , #3 , #4 , #5 

18 hours ago, Mistr said:

I will be curious to hear about the different churches you visit. It is amazing how people who believe mostly the same things have such different ways of sharing worship.

17 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

As someone who has done this, I recommend going back a few times  to each contending place before officially joining a church. I really hope you find a good fit. 

11 hours ago, Sepherina said:

Following!

8 hours ago, Radost said:

Following along! I’m excited for your church sampling project!

Thank you all ?

I'm actually getting really excited about this as a chance to explore and broaden. I'm not totally committed to changing churches, but stepping back from my activities at Good Shepherd is giving me the room I need right now to do some figuring out.

• Like 8

Spoiler

Monday

Daily tasks

Take meds

Morning constitutional

AM & PM prayers

AM & PM oral hygiene

AM & PM Spanish

2 Ed to Go lessons

Specific goals

Fold clothes

Schedule eye exam

Renew driver's license

Tuesday

Daily tasks

Take meds

Morning constitutional

AM & PM prayers

AM & PM oral hygiene

AM & PM Spanish

2 Ed to Go lessons

Specific goals

Get eyes examined 

Fill pill holder

Fold clothes

Renew driver's license

Eye exam is scheduled for today!  Excited to get this done; it is WAY over due. I don't think I've had an eye exam since COVID, but I've paid for the coverage every year. I also want to rule out the possibility that an outdated prescription is causing the headaches. I don't think it is, not with how they seem to move around, and will sometimes come at night or when I wake up; I don't think that's how eye strain would hit. But still, good to get done.

On the subject of glasses, my brain hates me. I put my glasses next to the sink and took a shower. Then, I moved them and [data recording ended] Much searching later, I found an even OLDER pair so I could at least drive to work. At work, trying to move my mouse to wake up my computer, but nothing happens. Laptop is still in bag.  Really hope I don't stay dumb all day.

Had a virtual visit with my psychologist, talked with him about the headaches and if they could be a delayed side effect of the sertraline.  Timing on it seems strange for the onset, but we're going to try dropping the dose a little and see if it does anything.

• Like 6

Spoiler

Picked out new glasses. Was deeply tempted to go for something BOLD

Spoiler

Resized_20240910_173004_1726014559082.jpeg.bed94c0c3cbb7a288738c8daf652437e.jpegResized_20240910_173044_1726014410151.jpeg.08c589ed6cfd72969e926cb178fade28.jpeg

Ended up deciding that what I really needed was a new pair for daily wear. But if I actually use my vision coverage every year, I can start getting more variety in my glasses. 

Spoiler

Resized_20240910_173908_1726014409665.jpeg.66f5bb882907cb1fe3843246ac7611d3.jpeg

Totally exhausted, so missing lots of checks today, but tomorrow is a new opportunity, and I did finally take care of a big one today. 

• Like 9

Spoiler

Tuesday

Daily tasks

Take meds

Morning constitutional

AM & PM prayers

AM & PM oral hygiene

AM & PM Spanish

2 Ed to Go lessons

Specific goals

Get eyes examined 

Fill pill holder

Fold clothes

Renew driver's license

Wednesday

Daily tasks

Take meds

Morning constitutional

AM & PM prayers

AM & PM oral hygiene

AM & PM Spanish

2 Ed to Go lessons

Specific goals

Cook chicken and veg

Fill pill holder

Fold clothes

Renew driver's license

I haven't been on my normal 1.5 mile walk since Sunday the 1st. I've been on a few smaller walks, but not in my normal park, and I've been missing it. Just, really, really struggling to get up and going in the morning.  Once again today, hard to get up and moving, but decided that I really needed to break the inertia, so while I didn't have time for the full walk, I got moving with enough time to at least get to the park and take a shortened walk. 

• Like 7

Spoiler

Well @Laghail, I hope you're happy; you've completely managed to derail my challenge. Thank you very much!

No, sincerely, thank you.  Super Supportive is amazing. It's been years since I was really hooked reading something and part of me worried that I had just lost being a reader.  

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

Spoiler

On 9/11/2024 at 7:04 AM, Whisper said:

I've been on a few smaller walks, but not in my normal park, and I've been missing it.

Non-scale victory? I always feel a bit like cheering, the first time I realize I'm missing something I used to have to push myself to do.  Glad you made it to Your Park, even just for a short time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, trying to pull myself back together. I've reached chapter 60 something, I think there's like 180, so unless I want to do nothing else for the next three weeks (not a totally unappealing option) I need to reassert some level of balance in my life. 

Painting classes started back up yesterday, and while feeling badly sleep deprived, I did go. I've really missed it, and the reasons for it stopping where just tragic. Instructors 30 something daughter died in the fall, then the instructor had a surgery that took her even more out.  I didn't really paint anything while there. I played with some new paint, seeing how it spread on the canvas and blended. Strange consistency compared to my other paint, and fairly transparent. I then painted a big empty section of a canvas orange. 

Got laundry done and a few other things, but mostly just read and read and stayed up too late reading in bed. And woke up this morning and did more reading. I think I'm going to have to find my tablet and limit myself to only reading it on the tablet and out of the bedroom.  I don't even know where to start looking for the tablet, so that's a bit of a challenge.

Back to goal lists. I am a person that desperately needs goal lists.

Sunday

Daily tasks

Take meds

Morning constitutional

AM & PM prayers

AM & PM oral hygiene

AM & PM Spanish

2 Ed to Go lessons

Specific goals

Put goals and daily tasks on white board so I can see them.

Cook food for today and work tomorrow

Hang clothes

Fold clothes

Renew driver's license

• Like 5

Spoiler

I couldn't really get my brain working yesterday for learning and creativity. Did make some progress on cleaning, cooked and have lunch for today.  

Overall, the day did feel more balanced.

Sunday

Daily tasks

Take meds

Morning constitutional

AM & PM prayers

AM & PM oral hygiene

AM & PM Spanish

2 Ed to Go lessons

Specific goals

Put goals and daily tasks on white board so I can see them.

Cook food for today and work tomorrow

Hang clothes

Fold clothes

Renew driver's license

Monday

Daily tasks

Take meds

Morning constitutional

AM & PM prayers

AM & PM oral hygiene

AM & PM Spanish

2 Ed to Go lessons

Specific goals

Pick up Xywave 

Hang clothes

Renew driver's license

Set more morning alarms

I'm not getting myself out of bed early enough to get my walk in before work. I'm moving the "sunrise" to start a bit earlier, I'm moving my nice alarm 15 minutes earlier (5:45), and I'm putting a not nice alarm at 6. If I actually get up at six, there is more than enough time to get stuff together and be out the door at 6:30, giving me plenty of time for my walk.

• Like 5

Spoiler

The changes made to morning alarms seems to have helped; apparently, I do need the adrenaline pop of an annoying alarm to actually get up.  I knew when the lights started coming up. I listened to "Your Grace Finds Me", I started moving with the last one. I'll keep this set-up for the rest of this week before thinking about tweaking it. 

When I got up this morning, it was 56 degrees and raining, which seemed like the perfect excuse to use my umbrella (you thought I was going to say not walk, didn't you?). I like my umbrella, it is nice and big and living in a dry climate, I don't get enough opertunities to use it. What did derail things somewhat we the flashes of lighting over and to the east of where I walk.  I didn't think I was going to get hit by walking in the park, but I'm kind of parinoid about lighting. So, I drove out west to work, and didn't see any flashes in that direction, so did get a smaller walk in before going in to work. 

Last night, I got my violin out if its case and played it for the first time since I decided that I wasn't going to be playing at my church anymore. It felt good, even if a little sad. I put it on its wall hook, so hopefully it won't be weeks again before I pick it up.

Headaches seem to be doing better with the change made to my psych med; hopefully the mental health does well with the reduction too. 

Monday

Daily tasks

Take meds

Morning constitutional

AM & PM prayers

AM & PM oral hygiene

AM & PM Spanish

2 Ed to Go lessons

Specific goals

Pick up Xywave 

Hang clothes

Renew driver's license

Set more morning alarms

Tuesday

Daily tasks

Take meds

Morning constitutional

AM & PM prayers

AM & PM oral hygiene

AM & PM Spanish

2 Ed to Go lessons

Specific goals

Pick up new glasses!

Cook chicken and veggies

Hang clothes

Renew driver's license (I don't know why I'm procrastinating on this; it's just an online form)

• Like 6

Spoiler

Got my new glasses yesterday. They're nice, but for some reason my right eye didn't want to focus right with them, like there was something blurry in part of my vision, but the glasses themselves were perfectly clear. Put them on this morning and had something similar, but it resolved itself by the time I got to work. 

By the time I got home, I felt like I had hit a wall and was totally tapped out. Didn't get much done.

Did get to the park this morning and took a slightly shortned walk. 20min instead of 30. Felt good. If I can get my staring into space down just a bit more, I'll have plenty of time for the full walk and get to work on time.

Tuesday

Daily tasks

Take meds

Morning constitutional

AM & PM prayers

AM & PM oral hygiene

AM & PM Spanish

2 Ed to Go lessons

Specific goals

Pick up new glasses!

Cook chicken and veggies

Hang clothes

Renew driver's license (I don't know why I'm procrastinating on this; it's just an online form)

Wednesday

Daily tasks

Take meds

Morning constitutional

AM & PM prayers

AM & PM oral hygiene

AM & PM Spanish

2 Ed to Go lessons

Specific goals

Cook chicken and veggies

Hang clothes

• Like 6

Spoiler

Do you think you may need to get your glasses checked? That blurriness is worrisome. 

8 hours ago, Whisper said:

I am seeing a lot of other check marks, so I wouldn't be too hard on yourself on this one. But it may be that this simple task has grown teeth, so you may want to sneak up on it. Be super stealthy! You got this

Creeping Panda Bear GIF by Treehouse Direct

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1