Forums are back in action! ×

"What’s wrong with females having muscular bodies?"

Lachy

I considered posting this in the women's guild, but really I think it's a general topic.

The link leads to an article written for an Australian newspaper's supplimental's online section, regarding not only athletic women and their image in the media, but also how female athletes are considered second rate to their male counterparts. It's sort of a rant, but I think it raises legitimate points and I think it's of interest to our forum. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

http://blogs.bodyandsoul.com.au/what-body-soul-thinks/article/whats-wrong-with-females-having-muscular-bodies/

this article was posted in nf before... the gist of the discussion is that the media exists to make money, not to further the causes dear to women... sometimes those two goals are aligned... most of the time they are not...

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

nah that's just "bad lighting" becoming "good lighting".

As a photographer, that's about right. The original picture was probably taken indoors under bad florescent light in a gym or some other space with minimal available light. Still, I don't get why you wouldn't put "powerful athlete" before "skinny girl."

I guess the whole world can't think like NF...

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

I did not read the article, I read the other comments, and started to read the article and after I saw the author was "getting on the soapbox" I decided I'll pass on reading a rant.

With that said, I'm going to address the original question, and title of this post; "What’s wrong with females having muscular bodies?"

Absolutely NOTHING! I love a woman that has muscles. It is one of the most beautiful things that I have ever seen. I used to not like it until I recently (since joining this forum) when I saw that strong and even muscular women do not look like this...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3645[/ATTACH]

I'm sorry, but that is just scary, and not in a good way...

Then again, my opinion may be biased. I've always gone for girls that could beat me up in a fair fight (not that I would ever fight back), it seems to keep me in line. Haha

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

It's a shame that the media seems to want to push a perfect image of women (and men) I guess we have to just keep rejecting that image and doing our own thing. However rant does help the stress levels lol

I really don't see what is wrong with the media's idea of a perfect male body. While it pushes an unhealthy body image for most women, that isn't the case for men at all.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

this article was posted in nf before... the gist of the discussion is that the media exists to make money, not to further the causes dear to women... sometimes those two goals are aligned... most of the time they are not...

Didn't realise it had been previously posted, sorry. You're right, the media's goal isn't always about furthering causes. I think it's interesting that an picture of an athlete was automatically photoshoped by PR, for an athletics article. The woman wasn't a model posing as an athlete, she was an actual athlete. I think it was good the editor regjected the 'shopped photo. Mind you, there are plenty of PS'd photos of women on that site anyway!

Atlethic women are awesome.

Agreed. Need more of them.

our culture's about just image. As in skinny must equal healthy. But since gaining some muscles (and want more More MORE!) I get the healthy part of it. Muscles = healthy body functions now. And discipline, and thinking about the future - not just here and now. I saw a Crossfit challenge on TV recently, and all those girls were beautiful as they did pull-ups and the clean press.

Well, shoot, even Playboy centerfolds are airbrushed, so even cultural "perfection" isn't perfect.

<--<< Daughter of Artemis >>-->

My muscles are no where near where I want them to be (YET!) but I have never felt more beautiful, powerful, and confident than I feel now... not even on my wedding way when I was super skinny. Eff being toned!!!

I really don't see what is wrong with the media's idea of a perfect male body

to me this isn't an issue if you're reading fitness rags or about movie stars, but once you start to go away from that the most common male image is straight up hipster. Skinny everything, usually tan-less, over developed fashion sense. Nothing wrong with it if that's what you're into, and it's easy to see why it's popular in the media (boundless consumerism). i guess men just have a few more pigeon holes than women when it comes to "media-ready" bodies.

my favourite version of this though is definitely fight club: brad pitt makes fun of underwear models by comparing working out to masturbation. takes of shirt to reveal 4-5% bf and ripped. ahh fight club :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AZSF - lvl 4 assassin

STR - 9 | DEX - 12 | STA - 10.5 | CON - 7 | WIS - 8.5 | CHA - 1

my favourite version of this though is definitely fight club: brad pitt makes fun of underwear models by comparing working out to masturbation. takes of shirt to reveal 4-5% bf and ripped. ahh fight club :P

Plus he was like 150lbs at 6ft in that movie, the epitome of 90s small.

I have never felt more beautiful, powerful, and confident than I feel now... not even on my wedding way when I was super skinny. Eff being toned!!!

totally agree.. i was 20kg lighter but could have been blown over in a light breeze when i got married.. I still have a long way to go, but I just love being strong rather than skinny

| lvl3 | Amazon Warrior |
|str
6|dex1|sta5|con5|wis8|cha2|

| challenges | two | one | 

| mfp | l4dyh4wk |

Archived