Forums are back in action! ×

Best Credit Card for Travel Hacking?

Booba

Hey,

I'm a senior in college looking to get a credit card and start earning flyer mile points. I currently have a credit score of 707. What options do I have in terms of credit cards that will give me flyer points with a "good" credit score?

There's not really a single card that's best for travel hacking. Travel hacking, sort of by definition, involves churning a lot of cards in order to game the sign-up bonuses. In all honesty, as a college senior getting your first credit card, you are probably best off with a cash back card (I usually recommend either the Amex Blue Cash or Blue Cash Preferred depending on your spend levels). Unless you already travel a lot, using a miles earning card as your primary cc is usually a sucker's bet. You will very rarely earn better than a 1-1.5% return on spend, and you can only use it on plane tickets. You can do better than that with a cash back card - and it gives you, you know, cash.

Get yourself established with a safe cash-back card first, then when you are ready to "travel hack" for real - go ahead and sign up for an airline card, meet the initial spend requirement, get the 50k+ bonus, then cancel the card. That's what travel hacking is all about.

Archived