Forums are back in action! ×

Planet Fitness Visit = Facepalm

So as some know, my wife and I recently got new jobs 3 hours away from our old ones and have moved in with my grandmother while we look for a house. As such, I need to find a new gym, which is a shame, because the old one was awesome.

The closest "gym" is Planet Fitness. Even though we both have seen the commercials, my wife convinced me to go check it out with her just to make sure it didn't have the equipment I wanted.

We walk in and tell them we're new to the area and would like to take a look around. The girl is friendly and offers to take us for a tour. We happily accept. She begins walking then turns around and says word for word, "The first thing we like to tell everyone is that we like to keep a judgement free zone. We cater to normal people, not to bodybuilders or power lifters."

I almost choked. I was expecting something along those lines, but not something that straight up while she stared right at me. I really had to resist asking her how intentionally not having the equipment for power lifters and bodybuilders wasn't judgmental. The only reason I held back was to not embarrass my wife. They really need to change that slogan to be "This is a completely judgmental zone, just not against "normal people".

We continue the tour. There are MINIMUM 120 treadmills/ellipticals/hamster wheels. Not gonna knock them, I use them in the winter when it's too cold to run outside. Then I cringe. The weight section has no free barbells, but it does have 5 smith machines, one next to the other. The only free weights are dumbbells up to 60 lb. I knew at this point that there was no way I was going here, but politely let her finish the tour, heard her payment shpeel, and told her we'd think about it.

My wife is welcome to go back if she wants to, but there's no way I will be.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Equipment fail. I had a similar reaction when I took my parents to their first day at the gym in their hometown (I live 4 hours away); row after row after row of treadmills. The free weight section was a tiny corner of the sprawling complex. It had everything I needed, but my golly was it cramped. The squat rack was buried behind some other, moveable equipment, like no one ever used it.

And then I cried.

Kewilson - Misfit Adventurer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Operation Phoenix: 6-Week Challenge Thread

STR: 2 (+2), DEX: 0 (+1), STA: 3 (+0), CON: 4 (+0), WIS: 5 (+0), CHA: 1 (+3)

I'm having an issue finding a place with free weights less than 30 min away. I'm driving 1:20 to and from work every day, I don't have the time to drive that far to and from a gym. Maybe google maps just isn't showing the results and I need to use better keywords. Might have to go old fashioned to the yellow pages.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I'm having an issue finding a place with free weights less than 30 min away. I'm driving 1:20 to and from work every day, I don't have the time to drive that far to and from a gym. Maybe google maps just isn't showing the results and I need to use better keywords. Might have to go old fashioned to the yellow pages.

What about a place near work?

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

If you need research help, there are several librarians (aka research experts) on this forum, y'know :)

Hobbit Ranger seeking balance (and cookies)

Current Challenge

Moved out of new jersey, back in Philly area. Will be moving to around Newark Delaware once we find a house.

We have a free gym at work that has a squat rack. The issue is I take 1 1/2 hours per workout and my wife takes 1/2 hour, and we share a car to and from work. She'd be waiting around for a hour for me, and since work is so far, it would mean no weights on weekends.

If you guys wanna help research, I live in zip code 19014 right now.

500 / 330 / 625

Oh, Planet Fatness.

Philly is a weirdly gym-free zone. There are a couple of LA Fitness places and a local chainlet or two, but that's about it. Speaking of Planet Fatness, though, your area code is only about ten miles from Iron Sport Gym in Glenolden, source of the infamous (and hilarious) r

I don't know what your wife is looking for, or whether you're looking for something with classes and whatnot, but maybe you could go there on weekends?

[table=width: 600]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 3 Elf Warrior

STR 9.5|DEX 6|STA 9|CON 7|WIS 8.5|CHA 2

Challenge thread

Twitter

"There is never an absolute answer to everything, except of course that you have to do your squats." - Mark Rippetoe

[/table]

Yeah, we are talking about that video in chat. Iron gym is 25 min away and further with rush hour, but it may be the winner. Ridley Y is in the race as well as my wife would be more comfortable there. Thanks for the help guys!

500 / 330 / 625

Quick Google search says that you're 4 hours and 7 minutes away from my gym. That's not too bad, right?

I'm gonna be about 6.5 hours closer one night next month. It'll be my first business trip with the office, I'll have to see if I can snag one of the cars one night.

500 / 330 / 625

Well for 10 bucks a month I'm good with planet. I just stay in either the stretching area or the free weights. I'll use the occasional machine. Not a big fan of the smith machines. Besides they are always being used at mine. Just wish they had a tbar. I do miss that. But hey, for 10 bucks, you could do worse.

Weretiger Assassin

Pwr Lvl 1

(wannabe)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

.....you could always say to hell with it with the weights, get yourself a pullup bar or some rings, and join in the bodyweight fun. All the cool kids are doing it.

This!

Though all the really cool kids squat and deadlift alongside that. When their knees aren't injured.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

Archived