Forums are back in action! ×

XKCD has a new Tuesday feature

RaeVynn

The baseball one... so much <3.

A careful reading of official Major League Baseball Rule 6.08(B) suggests that in this situation, the batter would be considered "hit by pitch", and would be eligible to advance to first base.

Warms my nerdy little heart.

Battle Log

"Either you take care of business and give yourself the best chance of survival (while accepting the inherent fuckedupitude and randomness of life), or you relinquish all hope entirely." -- Krista Scott-Dixon

Hmm, so to make a nuclear weapon I need only accelerate the ball to 90% of lightspeed! Igor, please return that plutonium.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

New post yesterday: A Mole of Moles

Favorite line from it:

I can pick up a mole (animal) and throw it.[Citation needed] Anything I can throw weighs one pound. One pound is one kilogram. The number 602,214,129,000,000,000,000,000 looks about twice as long as a trillion, which means it’s about a trillion trillion. I happen to know that a trillion trillion kilograms is how much a planet weighs.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

I like the part after that:

If anyone asks, I did NOT tell you it is ok to do math like this.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I wonder how many of these questions are ultimately going to be answered with, "it will destroy the Earth"...

When I was in high school, one of my classmates did a presentation in our chemistry class on a mole of moles and among other things, calculated how many trucks you would need to carry them all. I forget why we were putting them in trucks. We may have been spreading them over the surface of the Earth -- I think he also calculated how many miles deep in moles we'd be....

Anyone notice that the thought process that lead him to do mol of moles was probably the end of the previous What If? he figures out we'd need a shit ton of yodas to power the earth, then probably started thinking what the mass consequences of a shit ton of yodas would be.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Anyone notice that the thought process that lead him to do mol of moles was probably the end of the previous What If? he figures out we'd need a shit ton of yodas to power the earth, then probably started thinking what the mass consequences of a shit ton of yodas would be.

I doubt it... 100 million Yodas is not really that many, considering the Earth has 7 billion people living on it and there are still many areas completely empty of humanity. That's just ten cities the size of New York. Trillions of moles = a mass larger than Pluto. Big difference.

I'm just saying that it probably got his mind moving in that direction.

500 / 330 / 625

Archived