Forums are back in action! ×

Heroes Rising!

So I'm stunned there's not a thread on this already, unless I missed it on tapatalk. Anyone else as pumped as me?

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Meeeeee! I couldn't give much (*kicks grad school budget*) but I'm so pumped to try it out.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wannabe Aiel Ranger

Level 2 - Second Challenge in Progress

.: STR: 3 .:. DEX: 3.5 .:. STA: 7 .:. CON: 2.75 .:. WIS: 4.5 .:. CHA: 6 :.

.:Donate to my Down and Dirty Run :.

τὸ χρεὼν ἐπήρτηται· ἕως ζῇς, ἕως ἔξεστιν, ἀγαθὸς γενοῦ.

Death hangs over thee: whilst yet thou livest, whilst thou mayest, be good.

"Hey, at least you are going out there pooping on elevated surfaces and giving your best! That's what matters right?" - Elefevers the Wise

As a long time member of the boards, who watched OMFG start, then get pulled aside for proper development, it warms my Warrior heart that I will finally get to see this in action.

I have high hopes that RH will be as great as everything else in the NF verse.

Oh and I will always call it by OMFG. Because it's a great name. :D

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Looks exciting, but I think the "pay per month for subscription" thing is not the coolest idea. I avoid MMOs like the plague for that very reason.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

well will it be a browser based mmo, or an actual program based one, that is the question.. I'm interested to see where this goes. I've put in my own donation to help the process along. I hope it gives me something even more cool then fitocracy.

Assassin: Rank: 6 (Disciple) STR: 10 DEX: 20 STA: 7 CON: 6 WIS: 6 CHA: 5
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha
Height: 5'9" Weight: 215lbs Age: 34
|RW's Chronicle(log)| RW's Introduction|Fitocracy|Challenge|

well will it be a browser based mmo, or an actual program based one, that is the question.. I'm interested to see where this goes. I've put in my own donation to help the process along. I hope it gives me something even more cool then fitocracy.

The heroes rising page said it was a game/tracking app. Handy dandy!

Level 1 Maenad Adventurer

STR: 1 --- DEX: 1 --- STA: 2 --- CON: 1 --- WIS: 3 --- CHA: 2

MyFitnessPal

Instagram

Im pumped for Heroes Rising.

As the new guy it was the challenges and the game u all play n here that got me to sign up. It sounds like this is taking that to the next level. I gave what I could and cant wait to learn more about it as it progresses!

Onslaught Studios

Fade: Level 1 Gnome Assassin

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 4 | WIS 4 | CHA 2

My First Challenge - http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?16044-A-new-Recruit-My-first-6-week-challenge

Looks exciting, but I think the "pay per month for subscription" thing is not the coolest idea. I avoid MMOs like the plague for that very reason.

Well, most subscription MMOs cost around $15 a month. And really, $15 a month is not very much. I'm sure if you really wanted to, you could scrounge up $15 just walking down the street. And in most instances, you tend to get what you pay for. Want to play a free MMO? Chances are it's going to suck. Want to buy the cheapest whatever-it-is? Chances are it will break or malfunction pretty quickly.

[TABLE=width: 315]

[TABLE=width: 2]

STR:5

STA:7

AGI:6

[/TABLE]

FORTUNE

[TD=align: center]LEVEL II

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

FAVORS

[/TD]

WIS:4

CON:5

CHA:3

[/TABLE]

THE BRAVE

[/TABLE]

Well, most subscription MMOs cost around $15 a month. And really, $15 a month is not very much. I'm sure if you really wanted to, you could scrounge up $15 just walking down the street. And in most instances, you tend to get what you pay for. Want to play a free MMO? Chances are it's going to suck. Want to buy the cheapest whatever-it-is? Chances are it will break or malfunction pretty quickly.

Having tried both f2p MMO's and paid ones, the paid ones are substantially better. My only regrets about this initiative are:

1. That I am poor and cannot donate (I may be able to scrounge up 10 bucks, but not the 100 I want to)

2. I don't know RoR yet, so I can't help with development.

Though I think he really needs to give us at least a screenshot of what to expect. I think more people will donate if he provides something tangible and not just hype.

This too, shall pass.

Though I think he really needs to give us at least a screenshot of what to expect. I think more people will donate if he provides something tangible and not just hype.

I agree. I was surprised to see the post today hyping the shit out of HR with no prototype or even suggestion of actual action on the development. it looks like it's been round-tabled and they know what they want to do, but haven't actually started it yet. The fact that they're still looking for developers to work on the project compounds this. it was a good pitch, but it shouldn't have been put out like a press release when it was essentially just asking for money.

outside of that, it kind of sounds like the "game" is just going to be fitocracy with a character creation tool. i am very skeptical on this project.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AZSF - lvl 4 assassin

STR - 9 | DEX - 12 | STA - 10.5 | CON - 7 | WIS - 8.5 | CHA - 1

They've been working on it a bit, sounded like a lot more than just the beginning stages.

As for the money thing, you need to pay people to make this stuff and even though Steve makes money from the site, I don't think it's enough to pay a staff of 2-5 to create and maintain an app like this.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I am excited, but I am resisting donating until we actually see something. I don't have a job and every penny counts right now. I also don't want to drop a ton of money on something until the beta testing. If t turns out it isn't my thing I don't want to have lost the money.

I did see something about a free play for people who don't have any cash then advanced stuff for payers., which I think is a great idea.

tonic

Shapeshifting Rebel

It is the job that is never started that takes longest to finish. - J.R.R. Tolkien

tonic's taking it back

I did see something about a free play for people who don't have any cash then advanced stuff for payers., which I think is a great idea.

I have to agree with this statement. Although I plan on at least giving the paid zone a try for a few months (I like to test the waters by jumping in head first), it's a very smart move to include free sections as well.

[TABLE=width: 315]

STR:5

STA:7

AGI:6

[/TABLE]

FORTUNE

[TD=align: center]LEVEL II

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

FAVORS

[/TD]

WIS:4

CON:5

CHA:3

[/TABLE]

THE BRAVE

[/TABLE]

Steve has always been absolutely inclusive with any information or anything he's brought to NF. So don't worry about being made to pay to level up.

Its all good, lets see what the team brings next.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Hey guys! Wanted to chime in and answer some of your questions on this.

1) We do have a RoR developer who's lead programmer on this project, who's been in the NF community for years, helped with the initial conceptualization of the game in Dec 2010, and rejoined the team months ago to continue the game. The call for RoR programmers today was to have a list of NF programmers already on hand should we decide to add more to the team. Our current RoR developer is working part time on the project (and has been for months), but expects to move to this full-time within the next month or two. We've had another programmer/designer working on it since last summer as well.

2) It will be a weird/interesting hybrid of RPG and fitness tracking/fitness educational program. There will be a monthly subscription for people that are interested in having all aspects of Rising Heroes open to them. The way I see it, it's going to be a game, but also a fitness/diet educational tool with workout plans, etc. built in. There will also be a free-to-play version.

This is actually pretty similar to how Nerd Fitness runs as a business.

It costs a bunch of money to run Nerd Fitness each month (2.2+ million pageviews between the boards and the site in the past month and climbing rapidly!), along with the costs of hiring Staci full-time (who devotes 60+ hours a week to NF, and most of her hours go to projects, like these boards, that don't bring in any revenue) along with part-time contractors and dozens of volunteers to help run the rest of NF. I know most people won't ever spend a dollar on Nerd Fitness, and I'm more than okay with that. Those that do purchase NF products, programs, and courses allow me to run the site without a single advertisement and make everything else free for the rest of the community.

I think that's awesome, and I'm glad enough people are interested in purchasing or supporting NF projects that we can continue to offer free-to-play and pay-to-play options for everything.

3) To those that have already donated: thank you. Seriously. I've already started dumping as much as I can afford to from Nerd Fitness into the project as well. I have a vision for Rising Heroes in my head that I'm going to do everything in my power to bring to life, though I know it is going to be a tremendous undertaking to get there...your donation means more to me than you realize.

To those that are skeptical or want to wait until they see more of the project - I hear your concerns. It's your money and I don't ever want to make you regret spending it on anything relating to Nerd Fitness, so please don't spend it! Eventually I hope I get a chance to prove to you that a donation is worth it, or that playing the game and signing up is worth it, but not a single second before that do I want you parting with your money.

Why now for the fundraising? This will be a long process and has already been a long process, but I know people have been waiting to be a part of this for the past 18 months, and I'm excited to work with members of the NF community to continually make it better. Initial funding allows us to take our programmer and put him full-time on this project very soon...something that will add rocketfuel to the programming of RH.

I understand that most people would not be interested in putting up any money (now, or ever), and I am okay with that!

4) We didn't do a kickstarter campaign on purpose, because I wanted to keep it within the NF community to start. I actually preferred to keep it small and "underdog"-ish. That's how NF started: a skinny, weak nerd who loved videogames that wanted to help fellow nerds get healthy - $100 to buy a domain and a year of hosting, and then years of hustle. I wanted the same for Rising Heroes: a small dedicated group working with a small group of dedicated beta testers who are financially invested.

Feel free to fire up any other questions you have. I hope the last 3.5 years of Nerd Fitness have shown you that the team and I are going throw everything we have at Rising Heroes to make it something that's fun to use, educational, inspirational, and a kickass representation of what we can do.

Thanks for the opportunity to prove that to you.

For the Rebellion!

-Steve

Rebel Leader. I post videos of my dog on Instagram, and sometimes even share fitness wisdom. SOMETIMES.

I'd definitely consider a onetime payment for an app. That is perfectly reasonable. But ongoing payments for a membership? No way. I mean, I'm not saying it's unrighteous or anything, I haven't seen the content so I don't know whether it's reasonable or not. But speaking for myself, I personally would not pay it. I get suspicious of people who stand by the fountain of exercise selling bottles, when the water is free to drink.

Plus there's something kind of primal about workouts for me, so I like to do them on the cheap. (Aside from, y'know, not having a lot of cash to spare... if I HAD cash to spend on fitness every month, I'd join a swimming pool and at least get to swim.)

I think a freebie program combined with "premium" membership options would be the way to go. (Premium could mean ad-free, bonus content, a special faster server, powerful in-game items, extra in-game currency, access to a premium forum, personal contact with trainers, the opportunity to name NPCs, custom monsters, you name it.) Alternatively, a free program with paid add-ons is a model that has worked for many. But it ought to be at least partly free. For one thing, you'll get at least 10 times more users. Many webcomics and online games give the main product away for free, and make their money from books, swag, ads, endorsements, etc. There's a version of "Angry Birds" that is free, and yet they made millions of dollars.

Just sayin'.

p.s. A lot can be done with crowdsourcing and volunteer work, too... I am sure there are nerds hereabouts who would fight for the opportunity to contribute writing, art, programming, or other brain power to the project. Myself included.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

As long as those that can't pay aren't left in the dust I'm fine.

If I had a job I would likely support this project much more.

I'm thinking of making a small donation in the region of $15 dollars.

Plus buying a NF Shirt. I know it's not much Steve but it's all I can give.

I'm fully looking forward to Rising Heroes, and I understand now how hard it is to both juggle creating and supporting a site and game.

But as all others say, seeing some of the project would be nice. I'll give my small donation in good faith knowing that this will succeed.

P.S, Tell your programmers that they are awesome! I too one day hope to become a programmer, and make videogames for the world to love!

I'm definitely looking forward to this. Even though I'm a newbie I've fallen in love with this community.

This app, in a round about way, lead me to this site. A friend and I were in the process of developing an RPG fitness app. I had figured since Nerds and gamers in general were "addicted" to progress a fitness tracker game would be the perfect hybrid. I was trying to find the best way to combine the two when I did a google search for "Nerd Fitness" and this site came up.

Looks like this niche is filled, on to the next!!!

I'm pumped and will be donating soon. Without my crazy idea, I would have never found and fallen in love with this place that had a better, even crazier version of what I had in mind.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LVL 2 MartianWarrior

STR 9/DEX 2/ STAM 3.75/ CON 3/ WIS 6/ CHA 3

"Fads come and go, but the barbell remains the same. Respect it accordingly." - Jim Wendler

"When I want to be a super hero, I just wake up" - Childish Gambino

I'm definitely excited and quite intrigued by this, I was here when OMFG was still kicking around and loved the idea but, having only ever played video game RPGs rather than pen-and-paper RPGs, wanted something a bit more than a text based character sheet. Then I found Fitocracy and it was a step in the right direction but it was also considerably lacking (it might have improved now, I haven't been on for ages). Looking forward to seeing some screenshots, videos, etc. to get a better idea of what it will be like and like some of the others I will probably hold off from donating for the time being although I'm very tempted to just so I can try the beta out. In all honesty I'm not sure I can see myself paying for the paid version when it comes out. Partly because I've never liked the idea of something like WoW where you have to pay for the game and then pay again to play it, obviously the situation here is slightly different with it only being a monthly charge rather than an up front charge followed by a monthly one and NF not being a massive company like Blizzard. The other reason is similar to what Raincloak said, I stopped using Fitocracy/OMFG partly because it wasn't as extensive as what I wanted but more so because I enjoy training and do it for enjoyment sake, I realised I didn't need to be constantly logging everything I did, getting achievements, having the accountability of having your training regime public to motivate myself. So while I think this is a great idea and will definitely at least give the free version a try I'm not sure I can see myself using it long term

I'm guessing primarily Web based considering Ruby on Rails is a web framework. Which is a shame for me, if it was desktop based I'd offer up my DirectX expertise for free :).

Since they're looking for Ruby on Rails developers, I'm guessing browser. I have some Ruby experience, but not enough game design experience to be helpful. I'll donate and maybe if they need me to, look at code later. I don't mind doing comments and formatting and grunt work.

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge

Just a side note, there's no field for what your username is on the donations form. Or is this not going to be tied to forum handles, but whole new accounts when this goes beta.

First off thanks to the above posts for explaining what ruby on tails is and answering my question. Secondly to the above quote, I used the same email I do for the forums, maybe that's a way to connect I dunno, but also I'm sure it will be that everyone will have to create a user name and pass separate from the forums most likely so the forum user name is not needed

Assassin: Rank: 6 (Disciple) STR: 10 DEX: 20 STA: 7 CON: 6 WIS: 6 CHA: 5
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha
Height: 5'9" Weight: 215lbs Age: 34
|RW's Chronicle(log)| RW's Introduction|Fitocracy|Challenge|

Archived