Forums are back in action! ×

Questions about barbell training

mgage

Hi all,

I am doing my first barbell routine tonight based on Starting Strength and had a few questions for people familiar with it.

First, do you remember the first weight you reached on squat/bench/deadlift? I'm supposed to do warmup sets that are a percentage of my 3x5 working set max, and I'm hoping to get a ballpark of where that is for most beginners.

Second, Mark Rippetoe advocates benching without collars so you can slide the weight off if you don't have a spotter. Is that something people really do?

Thanks!

The iron never lies.

The first workout is really all about finding your starting weights. It's been awhile, but doesn't he recommend starting with the bar, doing 5, adding weight, doing 5, adding weight, doing 5, etc. until you reach the weight you can't do for 5?

As to your second point, I absolutely bench without collars, and I see other people doing it from time to time. All my other lifts get collars, but not bench.

Whooo! Barbells!

1) I actually took the first week to figure out a comfortable rep range before diving into 3x5. As a complete noob I had no idea what I could lift. For squats I ended up starting with like 95lbs, deadlifts 135 and bench was just the bar. OHP well, I had to use dumbbells until i could get to 45lbs.

2) I use collars when I bench. I either get a spotter for the heavy stuff, or do the roll of shame to bail out of it (place bar on chest roll it towards feet, once it gets to hips, sit up and push it off, etc). I have seen other people without collars and it seems okay, just be aware that dumping the plates will cause the bar to go flying in the other direction. See

for an idea of what you'll deal with.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

He does recommend starting with the bar, but then the warmup sets after that are based on a percentage of the working set. Bar only-40%-60%-80% and then the working set. That's why I was hoping to get an idea. With my schedule I have to go at night and I thought it might take a long time to just barely bump it up for all three exercises. But I want to get home at a decent time so I can eat and get plenty of sleep.

The iron never lies.

Similar to bigm.

Squats started around 95

DLs started at 135

Bench was bar, but quickly moved up to 95 the first week

OHP started at 45lbs (had already been doing dumbbell stuff prior to jumping into barbell)

For collars, depends on how lazy I am and what I'm doing. For the most part, weight I know I can handle, I don't bother with the collars.

Squats, no collars for my warm-ups, put them on ~200, but honestly, bailing from a squat is simply lowering the bar, so I don't always bother

DLs, I put them on for my working set. Reason being, when I lower the bar back down to the ground, I don't want the weights shifting and causing off balance issues. Warmups go by quick, so I don't bother.

OHP, any time I have more than a couple weights on, absolutely!

BP, any weight I know I can handle, I don't bother, but if its questionable, I find a spotter or put collars on and plan for the roll of shame. Not a fan of the idea of dumping plates for exactly the reason bigm gives.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

mgage, I recommend using the technique suggested by Blueberries, I've also seen it advocated by Rip. Just keep adding weight until you find a point that's not difficult, but that you can feel the resistance and feel your body working to move it. Again, this isn't meant to find your max, you'll work up to that, just to find a starting point.

As for collars, for all lifts that aren't from the ground I leave the collars off untill I hit working weight, then I add them for stability. This includes the bench. If I fail, I do the roll of shame as described by bigm. I don't like asking for spotters, they're often a little over-zealous and like to help lift the bar. In general though, if I seriously doubt I can make a rep, I won't go for it. I've rarely failed a bench.

Thanks for the advice all. I just got back and put up reasonable numbers for a first time. My working sets were 115 for both squat and dead lift and 95 or bench. Only one minor mishap when I cracked my shin on a deadlift. Next time it will be squats/overhead press/rows, so we'll see how that goes.

The iron never lies.

Archived