Forums are back in action! ×

Failure of the Will

Amazon Grimm

Okay so I tried to squat last night to start my third SS workout.

Now, this was at the end of a 12-hour workday, 17 hours after I woke up that morning, I had come home, made love to my wife, made and and made and ate a light dinner. My knee was bothering me from the car ride after sitting all day.

I just gave up after my first two warmup squats with the bar.

I need someone to help me psych myself into just picking up where I left off tomorrow.

GrimmThing - Warrior

Maybe I'm just too dumb to collapse - - too ugly to die !! I'll let you figure out the reasons...

Current ChallengeNF Workout Log

Are you usually able to crank out a full balls-to-the-wall workout that late in the day? I know that if I'd had (a) a 12-hour work day, (B) sexy funtimes, and © warm food in my belly, my body would shrug and say, "Mmmmm....naptime." It took some experimenting before I found the best time of day/set of circumstances to get my best workout in. I know that not everyone's circumstances are as flexible, but from what you've written here, I wouldn't call this a "failure of will." I'd call it "basic natural response of the animal body."

Wood Elf Ranger

LEVEL 1, It don't mean a thing if I don't hear that ding: My Epic Quest

I have a real hard time working out after eating. I do it in either a fastest state or a little while after a light snack.

One thing that has helped me.....

I do it the same time, every day, 7 days a week. Working out after we put the little one to bed is as much a habit nowadays as peeing first thing in the AM. The few times that I don't (been a while, last time was because of an injury) I'm going absolutely bonkers because my body doesn't know what to do itself. This doesn't mean that I go hard every day. Some days I do some Yoga or jog for a litte bit. Or if not not able to do higher intensity activity, I just get on the 'mill and walk. What you are trying to do, more than anything, as you level up, is to form new habits. Habits are much easier to form when you are consistent about it day after day, and once something becomes a habit, motivation really isn't a factor.

Now, this was at the end of a 12-hour workday, 17 hours after I woke up that morning, I had come home, made love to my wife.

Hmm, must be newlyweds.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

What do you think that YOU need to get the motivation to get back at it?

There's lots of things you can listen to or watch to be inspired, but translating that external encouragement into action is something that you've got to do.

What motivates you?

If you can figure that out, you're 90% there.

IDDQD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Current Challenge

Race: MALIETOA

Class: WARRIOR

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 1 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 4

What motivates you?

If you can figure that out, you're 90% there.

FYI, for someone who is struggling with finding motivation, this is a discouraging percentage as it means the thing I'm having trouble with is 90% of the problem. :)

GrimmThing - Warrior

Maybe I'm just too dumb to collapse - - too ugly to die !! I'll let you figure out the reasons...

Current ChallengeNF Workout Log

FYI, for someone who is struggling with finding motivation, this is a discouraging percentage as it means the thing I'm having trouble with is 90% of the problem. :)

Don't look at it that way. Since you're struggling with it that means you already know what the problem is. You went to the gym and at least gave it a go. You didn't do your full workout but at least you showed up. Most folks can't even do that much. What made you get up and go do those warmup sets? None of us did that, that was you. Finding that inspiration within yourself will get you a lot farther than anything anyone here could say or show to you. Don't look at it as a negative that the thing you're struggling with is a major hurdle to success, look at it as a challenge. Once you do figure it out, you'll be that much better off having worked for it.

My $0.02 at least, coming from someone who is struggling with a different major hurdle (consistency with diet) that has ~90% to do with my future success.

IDDQD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Current Challenge

Race: MALIETOA

Class: WARRIOR

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 1 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 4

Yeesh. Morning workouts might be the best option for yah buddy. All that stuff + work out at the end of the day? I couldn't do it.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Also this.

And this.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

I can understand you struggles. I face them too. Remember that you did make it to the gym. A better start than most. You gave it what you had. No shame in that. Just keep it in mind should you find yourself in a similar place next time and work for that one more rep.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

STR - 7.2 Dex - 2 Sta - 7 Con - 4 Wis - 3 CHA - 4

"Do or Do Not. There is no try."

"Why do we fall sir? So we might learn to pick ourselves up ."

Round 2 - Faster, Stronger, Leaner and more Pious?

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

Also this.

Spezzy? :P

Thanks for the Encouragements, I got through my workout this morning.

Whoo! Go Grimm! I've been lurking around the forums, watching your progress, and it's been exciting to watch. I also struggle with motivation sometimes, but when I see what you go through and your dedication and hard work, it inspires me to get off my butt and go do something.

So congrats in overcoming your wall, and thanks for the inspiration.

Piccolojones, a level Half-Elven Warrior 

STR- 5.25 | DEX- 2 | STA- 1 | CON- 2.75 | WIS- 4.75 | CHA 7

Join the HEROES vs. Villains PVP!! FOR NARNIA AND FOR ASLAN!

Current Challenge

Past Challenges: The Return

Benching Bodyweight for 5 Reps: 

Aug 8: 110/143 lbs | Aug 13: 115/140 | Aug 20: 120/142 | Sep 8: 135/144 | Oct 14: 140/143 | Oct 23: 145/143!!!

101.3%
101.3%

Archived