Forums are back in action! ×

GoRuck Challenge - Anyone ever done one?

cline

Anyone ever done a GoRuck Challenge?

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I'll be doing one with a bunch of my buddies on New Year's Eve.

https://www.goruckchallenge.com/Events/Details?id=122

If you're interested in a write-up and training for it, check out 70's Big. Justin has done a few articles on it.

http://70sbig.com/blog/2012/06/go-ruck-challenge-review/

Thank you!!! Am seriously considering one.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Indeed I have! In fact, my pic over there on the left is the last few moments of the one we did. Easily one of the coolest things I've ever done. If I can be of any help at all, don't hesitate to ask! :)

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Holy crap I'd so do this... Now I just need an actual team lol. I need to make more fitness friends

Assassin: Rank: 6 (Disciple) STR: 10 DEX: 20 STA: 7 CON: 6 WIS: 6 CHA: 5
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha
Height: 5'9" Weight: 215lbs Age: 34
|RW's Chronicle(log)| RW's Introduction|Fitocracy|Challenge|

Holy crap I'd so do this... Now I just need an actual team lol. I need to make more fitness friends

It's great to do with a a few friends, but you can jump in on any Challenge that hasn't sold out yet. Trust me, the entire Challenge is about forging a bunch of strangers into a cohesive team; that's the Cadre's sole mission in what he puts you through. My Challege was basically filled up with friends and gymmmates, but we had a very good number of total strangers, too, and they were brought right into the group, and we're all fast friends now. It's really a terrific way to meet people.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

It's great to do with a a few friends, but you can jump in on any Challenge that hasn't sold out yet. Trust me, the entire Challenge is about forging a bunch of strangers into a cohesive team; that's the Cadre's sole mission in what he puts you through. My Challege was basically filled up with friends and gymmmates, but we had a very good number of total strangers, too, and they were brought right into the group, and we're all fast friends now. It's really a terrific way to meet people.

Good to hear!! Thanks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha

So I wonder about training for something like this. I know a lot of it's mental and that's actually why I want to do it. I need to break through mental barriers I make and I'm really good at team things - I work really well in a team. My mental stuff comes when I work alone. So I thought this might be good.

Normally, I strength train 5 days/week (plus one day of active recovery and one day of mostly rest). I train with heavy lifts, functional fitness, strength and endurance, etc. I'm not a good runner - am slow and am still coming off injuries. I'm doing the Civillian Military Combine in Sept.

So how would I train and is the whole distance running?

I AM going the distance

there is one in Atlantic City(40 min from me) in February.... I think im gonna do it! I Think it's time to do some trail running with a heavy backpack!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

there is one in Atlantic City(40 min from me) in February.... I think im gonna do it! I Think it's time to do some trail running with a heavy backpack!

I might maybe be a teammate in march in philly if you are interested. Still haven't decided

I AM going the distance

alright.. I am fully registered for AC in February( ironically I did a polar bear plunge last Feb.. love that water baby!) I also purchased a GR1, hell for that price and 20% off that bag is worth it.. bags are expensive. Plus it's a damn MOLLE system bag as well!

If I survive this one I'd be more then willing to do one with you guys in the future!

I'm doing the NYC one on September 7th at 2000, Ive had the GR1 since June and I carry it everywhere now.

I already do nutty crap like run up and down hilly trails with backpacks haha, so now I will be doing it with bricks. I think I'll start doing my runs with it as well. I now have 6 months to become better, tougher, stronger, and faster for this challenge! can't wait.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I haven't done one, but I am planning on doing one as the last test to my becoming a Spartan goal.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

For training, number one thing is getting under a ruck. I wouldn't worry too much about long runs so much, as you're very rarely outright running at a Challenge. But you are always, always, always under your ruck, for 12+ hours, with the exception of those times you lose strap privledges and need to carry it by the handle.

Remember though, it is all about the team, and nothing else. You only move as fast as your slowest member, or you're punished with extra good livin'. Actually, you'll probably be punished with good livin' either way, but that's the insane fun of it all.

So yeah, most of the time you're walking/marching or shuffling. Because remember, you'll be carrying trees and each other and such for several hours. There's no running under the tree, trust you me. :P Sometimes you'll be doing indian sprints, which is the last people in the two column formation sprint to the front of the line, and you just cycle through that a bunch. Depending on the Cadre, he might throw something at you like, "but the rucks need to stay in the same order. figure it out. go". If your system sucks (dont worry, it will), you'll get another bit of good livin' till you're functioning as a team again.

So for training, I'd work on general marches with a ruck, with the proper load of bricks (currently 4 if you're under 150, 6 if you're over), or some other sobstantial weight. Occasionally do a light shuffle with a short sprint every now and then. Too much ruckrunning in training will actually lead to injury, so go easy. If you use bricks, buy a bunch of bubble wrap and gorilla tape and wrap them. It'll also tell you whether your current pack is gonna suffice. It used to be that you needed to use a GoRuck pack, though now they allow you to use whatever. There have been tales of packs breaking halfway through a Challewnge though, so be sure you're using something legit.

Also, do calisthenics with the ruck. Pushups with holds at the bottom, squats, lots and lots of walking lunges, and bear crawls. To be honest, though, whatever shape you're in, the PT at the beginning is gonna smoke you. It's supposed to, and that's OK. But don't be like me and go in totally unprepared (first time I put on the loaded ruck was 24 hours before the event, as I wasn't sure if I was doing it. Don't be me.) Also, get used to carrying it by the grab handle. Take it for a trip around the block like that, just in case it comes up at the Challenge.

Start learning how to fireman carry a buddy, if you don't know how. Though really, you'll learn the technique real fast at the Challenge.

So yeah, do some training, mostly based around wearing a ruck for a long periods of time, because that thing will not touch the ground for the entire time. But mostly it's a gut check. After a few hours, physical preparedness has sorta leveled out, and you've always gotta stick with your weakest/slowest anyway. There will be parts where you'll thrive, and parts where you suck. It's all part of the process. Trust me, you guys can do it!

It you are interested in a detailed program, millitaryathlete has a 5 week prep course for the GR Challenge. I don't really know too much about it, but they generally know their stuff.

And this is just a really good post by GR's founder, Jason:

http://www.gorucknews.com/military/the-goruck-challenge-explained/

this is GREAT help! Thank you. I already workout in a weighted vest sometimes - I know it's not the same but the concept of the ruck isn't alien at least. I also work on farmer's carries sometimes, so that would help. The training program link is really great.

Hmmmm... am seriously considering. I really want a strong team experience to help me get over individual fear of failure. I really like working in a team.

I AM going the distance

Knightwatch, did you do yours during the winter? I'm wondering if we will still get to do the water part in February due to the cold, that would suck if we could not.

I've done polar bear plunges so I'm not worried about myself, but I dunno what their policy is.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Knightwatch, did you do yours during the winter? I'm wondering if we will still get to do the water part in February due to the cold, that would suck if we could not.

I've done polar bear plunges so I'm not worried about myself, but I dunno what their policy is.

Hmmm, that I do not know, as mine was in the spring. Some friends did one in late October, and they definitely got wet, via a city fountain, haha. All depends on the Cadre. I would image under a certain temp they wouldn't do it, since they are very clear on required gear dependant on temprature. If they require a jacket for certain temps or you're not allowed to take part, I think they'd be careful about exposing folks to certain conditions. But again, I'm really not sure. Some Cadre are more maniacal than others. :P

Also, in case this discussion is generating wider interest in GoRuck Challenges, Im'ma just leave this here. Ultimate NF Meetup??

https://www.goruckchallenge.com/Events/Custom

I'm not sayin', or nothin'. I'm just sayin'.

;)

Hmmmm... am seriously considering. I really want a strong team experience to help me get over individual fear of failure. I really like working in a team.

Honestly, I'm the same way. I'm super not-competitive. But I'll will go the extra mile or seven, push myself way beyond what I wanted to do, if someone's at my side. Because I just love helping people past barriers, and the commaderie of recieveing the same.

I think you'd love GoRuck!

Knight thanks again for all your help on these, and I would travel a decent distance to do a nerd fitness goruck, not cross country or anything but still lol. I plan on wearing my NF shirt and hoodie for this one in February!

I hope my cadre is maniacal lol, I want to be crawling off the beach at the end. Then when I get that patch and put it on my Gr1.. I'll know I accomplished something.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Honestly, I'm the same way. I'm super not-competitive. But I'll will go the extra mile or seven, push myself way beyond what I wanted to do, if someone's at my side. Because I just love helping people past barriers, and the commaderie of recieveing the same.

I think you'd love GoRuck!

oh oh oh.... am kind of excited. Hmmmm.... must think about recruiting at least one friend...

Do a lot of women do it?

I AM going the distance

All the videos I've seen there's at least one woman in each group

My group on Facebook only shows 3 people doing it on the day I signed up, hopefully more will do it. If AC gets cancelled maybe I'll do the Philly with you.

I'm excited to forge new friends in the experience, as I never have any friends who do this sort of stuff and I'm looking for some. I'm the only one I know who does stuff like mud runs an etc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived