Forums are back in action! ×

GoRuck Challenge - Anyone ever done one?

cline

Forgot - an even better recommendation re blisters - get liquid skin (new skin is brand name I think). Medical grade is the best. It's a glass jar, so pack it carefully, but it's AWSOME for hot spots, cuts, blisters, etc. And it can get wet without impact. I use a lot of it b/c I often have abrasions (still healing from Hero Rush). OH and you can use it on calluses that are getting a little too roughed up. It's awesome stuff.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

That is personal preference but I suggest making sure the shoes you are going to do it in have been broken in. I used to Switch out my foot wear each march so I wouldn't wear them down to much but again it's all personal preference. As for blisters if you get them pop them and then cover them up with something. You can also get what's called moleskin and apply it to the hot spots on your feet and it will help prevent blisters but I don't remember how expensive it is. Beyond that bring extra socks and foot powder and that helps take the risk of developing them way down. Hope that helps you out.

Very helpful. I'm making a checklist of things I'll need to pick up. Being that were talking about feet and shoes, I'm curious as to what shoes you actually wore on your challenge, and did you switch them out or just power through the whole thing on one pair?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Look out world, I'm smokin' TNT and I'm drinkin' dynamite, so if you know what's good for ya, get out of my way. - SK

Challenge 1: http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?15703-Scooter-McGee-1st-Challenge

Forgot - an even better recommendation re blisters - get liquid skin (new skin is brand name I think). Medical grade is the best. It's a glass jar, so pack it carefully, but it's AWSOME for hot spots, cuts, blisters, etc. And it can get wet without impact. I use a lot of it b/c I often have abrasions (still healing from Hero Rush). OH and you can use it on calluses that are getting a little too roughed up. It's awesome stuff.

Great call. I'm definitely going to go for the preventative maintenance approach, and try and avoid getting blisters/abrasions in the first place. I guess I'll have a better idea what to expect once I start my training.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Look out world, I'm smokin' TNT and I'm drinkin' dynamite, so if you know what's good for ya, get out of my way. - SK

Challenge 1: http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?15703-Scooter-McGee-1st-Challenge

so cline...maybe a spring one? :)

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Word of advise: think very, very, carefully about wearing Vibrams or the like to a Challenge. It's no secret that I dislike them in general, but hey, to each his own in most things. And in the Challenge, really. But I would absolutely consider not doing it. Before posting this, I wanted to know if I was just biased against them. So, I put the question to the GRT community of alumni. Several people were devoted Vibram wearers in their everyday lives, and not a single one suggested wearing them for a Challenge. Two Cadre themselves chimed in, saying it's a bad idea. Trust them.

Even minimalist non-toed shoes can be pushing it, and I really love training in minimal shoes. For the Challenge, though, I went with an old pair of clunky crosstrainers, and had I more time to prep and break them in, would have gone with trail shoes. For regular running and such, sure, a minimalist shoe is great, because it encourages "natural" mid-sole/forefoot strides. Throw a significant weight on your back, though, and a lot changes. I had to settle into a heel-strike even though I know it's less than ideal, but that's the idea of the Challenge: nothing is ideal. You'll also be running/shuffling in a tight formation where it's hard to take a full, true stride. You'll also be running around parks at night, though parking lots, canals, river beds, all kinds of things. One of the most common medical drops is foot wounds via broken glass and the like. You defintiely want something tough!

Just another thought I had, but everyone's mileage, of course, varies!

(except in the Challege, of course. There, everyone's mileage is the same, which is to say "the exactly right amount", or "until the Cadre says so". ;) )

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

so cline...maybe a spring one? :)

Dudette, I am really thinking about March in Philly. There's also april in NYC or OOOOOOoooooo June 1 in Philly. Would probably eliminate need for windbreaker and risk of hypothermia. Not sure I'm keen on being in the river in either city. :P

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Word of advise: think very, very, carefully about wearing Vibrams or the like to a Challenge...Even minimalist non-toed shoes can be pushing it, and I really love training in minimal shoes. For the Challenge, though, I went with an old pair of clunky crosstrainers

Is a bit off topic (my choice!) but I have to say I'm in this camp too! I fell in love with my minimalist shoes, adopted a decent running style (right foot strike), bought barefoot shoes, fell even deeper in love (I'd go everywhere really barefoot if I could) and then developed two stress fractures and a torn muscles. So back in running shoes I went. I've done 2 obstacle courses in two weeks - including trails and beach running and had very happy feet and legs. Even though I hate that I wear them. Being able to bail on an obstacle is a lot different from bailing on a run in the neighborhood. And honestly, I spent both courses wet for most of them and the shoes were awesome. I find vibram soles very slippery sometimes (esp on moss, etc.).

Anyhow... back on topic.

I AM going the distance

If we do this, we should start a GoRuck Training thread.

I'm seriously thinking about this.

I AM going the distance

Word of advise: think very, very, carefully about wearing Vibrams or the like to a Challenge. It's no secret that I dislike them in general, but hey, to each his own in most things. And in the Challenge, really. But I would absolutely consider not doing it. Before posting this, I wanted to know if I was just biased against them. So, I put the question to the GRT community of alumni. Several people were devoted Vibram wearers in their everyday lives, and not a single one suggested wearing them for a Challenge. Two Cadre themselves chimed in, saying it's a bad idea. Trust them.

Even minimalist non-toed shoes can be pushing it, and I really love training in minimal shoes. For the Challenge, though, I went with an old pair of clunky crosstrainers, and had I more time to prep and break them in, would have gone with trail shoes. For regular running and such, sure, a minimalist shoe is great, because it encourages "natural" mid-sole/forefoot strides. Throw a significant weight on your back, though, and a lot changes. I had to settle into a heel-strike even though I know it's less than ideal, but that's the idea of the Challenge: nothing is ideal. You'll also be running/shuffling in a tight formation where it's hard to take a full, true stride. You'll also be running around parks at night, though parking lots, canals, river beds, all kinds of things. One of the most common medical drops is foot wounds via broken glass and the like. You defintiely want something tough!

Just another thought I had, but everyone's mileage, of course, varies!

(except in the Challege, of course. There, everyone's mileage is the same, which is to say "the exactly right amount", or "until the Cadre says so". ;) )

Thanks for the tip, I've got just the pair in mind. An old beat up pair I got from Big 5 for about $40 bucks ages ago. They're pretty tough and not ridiculously cushiony, so I feel like they'll stand up to the beating. Once I get my GR1 I'll see if I can fit an extra pair of shoes in it with my bricks (likely my Nike Lunar Glide 3's), but I highly doubt it being that I wear size 14. I might just have to suck it up and deal with wet shoes and just powder the hell out of my feet at each stop.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Definitely should do a GoRuck Training Thread (or just allow this one to morph into it).

I'm thinking about doing GoRuck Trek in NYC in March, assuming I survive mine (crap, its in 15 days) but would be down for the April one. Or I might just come follow you guys around for a bit and take pictures.

I've been training with 3 bricks + my bike lock (15lbs). I need to go appropriate (steal) 3 more from my parents labor day weekend. Mostly, training consists of hiking for a couple hours around Manhattan with my ruck. I'm relying on crossfit for the mobility stuff, with the full expectation that I'll be exhausted and spent 2 hours in and just have to tough it out.

Half-Elf, Half-Dwarf Ranger

Level: 4 STR: 10.5 DEX: 6 STA: 11 CON: 5 WIS: 2 CHA: 1

Height: 5'9" Weight: 175lbs Age: 25

"Under Promise, Over Deliver"

The only pair of sneakers I have are them rebook zig zags, bought back when I thought cushioned shoes actually did something. I'm not to thrilled at buying a pair of sneakers just for a goruck. As I said I'll be bringing the pair with me as a just in case thing. I doubt I'll heel strike even in shoes, the barefoot running method is so ingrained in me I do it regardless.

This Saturday I did a 6 mile fairly tough mud run in my vibrams , 4 of those miles were on my kind of good livin, jogging up and down mountain dirt trails full of stones, rocks, and boulders. I completed it in 1:44. 240th out of 780 people.

4 days later I broke my distance records and did a 7.2 mile jog barefoot on roads in 1:47. My goal is to be able to do a half marathon by feb 1st I've already been able to do nearly half the 15-20 mile distance they state nonstop jogging. I have no injuries, I use a short bent knee barefoot runners stride(should be perfect for column shuffling)

I also am no stranger to running wilderness paths with packs full of stuff, I do it for fun and I have a variety of survival backpacks of different shapes an sizes. I'm excited for when my goruck comes. I actually gave up boots in the wilderness in favor of good wilderness sandals a few years back, the vibrams/barefoot running thing for me is only a couple months old although I researched it on and off for a year before taking the plunge.

I'm not trying to say this to brag or be a jackass, and im certainly not thinking its gonna be easy at all.. But someone would have to give me some pretty damn good logical reasons as to WHY wearing a sneaker would be better or safer.

I understand that there are people that go "omg cool barefoot" and jump into ot like idiots or wear vibrams because they are "cool" so i understand why a cadre would say its not a good idea.

All I'm saying is, if you want to train like a soldier, we should be wearing boots ;p lol.

Assassin: Rank: 6 (Disciple) STR: 10 DEX: 20 STA: 7 CON: 6 WIS: 6 CHA: 5
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha
Height: 5'9" Weight: 215lbs Age: 34
|RW's Chronicle(log)| RW's Introduction|Fitocracy|Challenge|

with the full expectation that I'll be exhausted and spent 2 hours in and just have to tough it out.

This.

Yeah, like I said, after a few hours, everyone's pretty much on the same page, whether they came in under or hyper prepared. From that point on, there will be some things that let you shine because they're reliant whatever strength you have left, and some parts where you'll have to put aside the ego and let the team help you, because it's bringing your weaknesses into sharp focus and the fatigue magnifies it. For me, the strength was just shutting up and carrying stuff, and the weakness was a few-mile stretch of shuffle-jogging in formation. By the end you're all just relying on each other, and it's allll mental. Nobody, even the GR vets with 10 challenges under their belts, is gonna move that tree alone!

Sounds like you've got the right attitude. Just smile, enjoy the absolute hilarity of whatever nonsense you're doing, and put one foot in front of the other. You'll get that patch, and the GRT family will wlecome you warmly.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Here is a great source for GORUCK reviews as well as training tips, etc etc. Scroll down to tips at the bottom. Ben O'Grady has a number of great links if you click on his name at the bottom.

https://www.goruckchallenge.com/Training/Index

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

thanks for that link! I missed that tips part when I was on the website the other night.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha

cline -- april. nyc. let's do it.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

If you guys do this, you can count me in as well... I want to celebrate my 35th birthday in April with good livin ;p hopefully then I'll be sporting my goruck tough patch from February.

I got my six bricks and started building my wall of bricks today, my gr1 should be in tomorrow. Gonna do a short 2.5 mile inaugural jog this weekend!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Dudette, I am really thinking about March in Philly. There's also april in NYC or OOOOOOoooooo June 1 in Philly. Would probably eliminate need for windbreaker and risk of hypothermia. Not sure I'm keen on being in the river in either city. :P

I'd be down for June, I may even be persuaded for March, but that would be hard to do on your part. As for going to NYC, I'll be moved down to MD by this point hopefully, so that would be harder.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

So I went to my father(a landscaper) and picked up 6 paver bricks.. I also found this video that I followed the instructions for.. the bricks I used are the same exact ones in the video. Each Brick weighed 6lbs x 6 = 36lb. With tape and bubble rap the final weight is about 37.8

here is the video -

here are the pics of mine , following the instructions as best I could(says files are too large to show at under 2mb.. so I had to link)-

http://smphotographystudios.com/personal/photo2.JPG

http://smphotographystudios.com/personal/photo1.JPG

http://smphotographystudios.com/personal/photo.JPG

ya know its funny, I've had backpacks on me with at least 40lbs of equipment.. but it felt much more ... even... when I put the bricks in one of my daypacks and put it on.. it felt like.. well a ton of bricks taped up LOL.. gonna have to really get use to this.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

First look on your brick bundle made me think of something else...

weed_001.jpg

http://www.eldoradonews.com/news/localnews/2012/01/21/massive-bust-executed-38.php

Don't wanna get searched while running with it. Haha

By the way, each of the above bundles weigh about 26 pounds, so it could be a good warmup before carrying all the bricks, right?

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

I love that this thread was started. I stumbled across the GORUCK site a few months back and I'm booked for my first one in March 2013 in Santa Monica Ca. However none of my friends will commit as they say it looks "f'in insane". Regardless, I'm doing it with or without them. Have yet to receive my Ruck, but once I do I will start training.

Knightwatch, could you speak a little bit about what you wore and what you packed. I assume you had a camelback, but I'm concerned about clothing. Being that I live in LA I guarantee I will be getting in the ocean, and wonder if I should wear quick-dry compression gear? Also, how far out do you recommend starting training for the GORUCK?

ps: totally down for a NF GORUCK.

Hmmm... I'm in the LA area, and I gotta say I was totally tossing the idea around when I first saw this thread. March 2013 you say? I might be in for that.

-jj

NF: Treedwelling assasin. Druidish leanings. Gnome.  

IRL: Amateur circus geek.  Mad cook. Mom. Mad Max junkie. 

Hmmm... I'm in the LA area, and I gotta say I was totally tossing the idea around when I first saw this thread. March 2013 you say? I might be in for that.

-jj

Sure, I'll keep you posted when I sign up. They also have an events page on FB where you can organize with all the other people who have already signed up for your challenge.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm 80% in. Gotta talk w WMAT. But I'm groovin on this

I AM going the distance

Oops just checked NYC date, April 6 might be tough bc I might do primal con this year. Is there another date?

I AM going the distance

So I went to my father(a landscaper) and picked up 6 paver bricks.. I also found this video that I followed the instructions for..

ya know its funny, I've had backpacks on me with at least 40lbs of equipment.. but it felt much more ... even... when I put the bricks in one of my daypacks and put it on.. it felt like.. well a ton of bricks taped up LOL.. gonna have to really get use to this.

Lol this is awesome. I'm tempted to go buy 2 bricks and toss them in my current backpack just to try...

I AM going the distance

Archived