Forums are back in action! ×

LGBTQA and Ally Safe Space

Something says (in my gut) this is not going to end up good with these businesses tactics. Maybe we shouldn't be stooping so low (to lows of some of these Christians).

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

I don't think it's real. Satirical online articles are becoming rather popular these days.

Hope that's true because lot of sites (including "news") is rolling with it

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

My Inspiration

My challenge

Instagram

Why can't we just grow up and honestly say sex is between two consenting people that happens behind closed doors, honestly who gives a flying fuck if you like your lover to wear a horsehead while whipping you as you sing the Star Spangled Banner, I mean really what the fuck does that have to do with anything important

Love is love and until people realize that we are going to stuck in adolescent  years forever

• Like 6

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

One of the arguments I've heard (besides "the bible says so") is it being a slippery slope. I have heard that pedophiles are now petitioning for their right to be attracted to underage children, under the assumption that one cannot choose who one is attracted to. Not many people may be okay with that at the moment. I'm sure there are discussions about how it's not the same thing, but it's all semantics dependent upon whomever is listening.

"No matter whom we choose to love, be they heterosexual, homosexual, asexual, bisexual, trisexual, quadrisexual, pansexual, transexual, omnisexual, or that thing where the chick ties the belt around your neck and tinkles on a balloon, it has absolutely nothing to do with who we are as people." (I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry)

• Like 1

Why can't we just grow up and honestly say sex is between two consenting people that happens behind closed doors, honestly who gives a flying fuck if you like your lover to wear a horsehead while whipping you as you sing the Star Spangled Banner, I mean really what the fuck does that have to do with anything important

Love is love and until people realize that we are going to stuck in adolescent  years forever

All of a sudden, I really want to draw that because that made my day.

~Paulo Coelho

My Inspiration

My challenge

Instagram

One of the arguments I've heard (besides "the bible says so") is it being a slippery slope. I have heard that pedophiles are now petitioning for their right to be attracted to underage children, under the assumption that one cannot choose who one is attracted to. Not many people may be okay with that at the moment. I'm sure there are discussions about how it's not the same thing, but it's all semantics dependent upon whomever is listening.

yeh its "just semantics" if you're belligerently missing the point of the debate. but guess what? this isn't the "lets discuss the ethics behind letting them gays get married"-thread, this is the "let queer people talk about their lives without having to justify themselves or their existence for a change" thread. so put down and piss off. 

• Like 4

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

yeh its "just semantics" if you're belligerently missing the point of the debate. but guess what? this isn't the "lets discuss the ethics behind letting them gays get married"-thread, this is the "let queer people talk about their lives without having to justify themselves or their existence for a change" thread. so put down and piss off. 

Yes to this. 

• Like 1

SHAEON

Jedi Apprentice

Druid Character Sheet

Daily Battle Log: Shaeon Restores Balance to the Force

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Current Challenge: Shaeon Focuses

"With great boots comes great responsibility."

Wait, was someone debating here? I saw "why" on a previous post, and I answered it. I was not aware that I was debating.

Anyway, I don't know what "put down" means, but I do believe I know what "piss off" means, and I believe that's negative. I probably deserved that. We all know that I'm the biggest opposition for homosexuality around here, as evident in my frequent, long, extremely homophobic previous posts from many pages back.

Sometimes I feel like it's the alphabet soupers that are sabotaging the movement. You can see the same thing with feminism (terfs *sign*).

• Like 1

~Paulo Coelho

My Inspiration

My challenge

Instagram

Wait, was someone debating here? I saw "why" on a previous post, and I answered it. I was not aware that I was debating.

Anyway, I don't know what "put down" means, but I do believe I know what "piss off" means, and I believe that's negative. I probably deserved that. We all know that I'm the biggest opposition for homosexuality around here, as evident in my frequent, long, extremely homophobic previous posts from many pages back.

The debate in question is the debate over gay marriage - meaning a world wide debate, not one happening right here specifically. Comparing homosexuality to pedophilia is rather taboo. Perhaps you didn't know this. However, common sense should dictate that comparing most things to pedophilia is taboo. You were responding to someone who said why - but not someone who said why can't we legally marry. It was to someone who said why can't people get over what two consenting adults choose to do. And you answered with a response that was quite specifically not about consenting adults. Furthermore, you've identified yourself as straight - it's all very well for you to say it's all semantics. To us, it is not. To us, it's our real actual lives. 

Having said that, this is meant as a safe space for those of us living this life. And as such, the kind thing to do is to let this argument rest now. 

• Like 3

SHAEON

Jedi Apprentice

Druid Character Sheet

I *think* that he was saying that some people think of it that way, and would argue the semantics, not that he feels that way or thinks its valid.

I agree that this should be a safe space, and should be held as such, and I dont believe he was trying to attack anyone. and that sometimes we Alphabet Soupers are so used to having to be on the defensive, that we see attacks where there is just misunderstanding of intent.

• Like 1

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

I didn't see it as an attack. But the pedophilia argument is old and many of us have heard it entirely too many times, and as noted, it's not nice to compare people to pedophiles. Just isn't. Shouldn't have to explain that, really. 

Part of being in a safe space means not having to answer to the tired old "maybe this is why you don't get to have rights!" arguments that so many of us have answered to before. Safe space means you understand that we don't want to constantly explain our side in response to the arguments of the most reactionary people out there. It means that you get that it's pretty rotten that people actually think "because pedophiles" is an ok thing to say about people who want to have consenting adult relationships.

It doesn't mean you can't ask questions. It doesn't mean you're not permitted to make mistakes. But it does mean that you should be mindful of how what you say would sound, if you were in the shoes of the person you are speaking to. 

• Like 2

SHAEON

Jedi Apprentice

Druid Character Sheet

I *think* that he was saying that some people think of it that way, and would argue the semantics, not that he feels that way or thinks its valid.

I agree that this should be a safe space, and should be held as such, and I dont believe he was trying to attack anyone. and that sometimes we Alphabet Soupers are so used to having to be on the defensive, that we see attacks where there is just misunderstanding of intent.

I thought that's what he meant.

I know I have to be on the defense with other alphabet soupers sometimes. Oh the fun of being femme lesbian.

~Paulo Coelho

My Inspiration

My challenge

Instagram

ill admit to coming on strong, but this is not the first time we've had to establish that this is not a debate thread. nor is it a place to play "devils advocate" - as machete is so fond of doing elsewhere on the boards. i dont see his actions as threatening or an attack, just plain rude and unwelcome.

Did I miss something here?

Quick change topic to GAY PENGUINS!

Preferably the episode of Parks and Recreation where Leslie marries gay penguins.

tumblr_luo31jnDuW1qmha4qo2_500.gif

• Like 2

~Paulo Coelho

My Inspiration

My challenge

Instagram

Maybe it's just me, but isn't there other issues in the community we should be fighting over about (all for gay marriage, but seriously). How about how alphabet soup community has the problem of member discriminates against other members, who don't fit the mold?

~Paulo Coelho

My Inspiration

My challenge

Instagram

How about how alphabet soup community has the problem of member discriminates against other members, who don't fit the mold?

i think we had that a few pages back, but yeh go right ahead. do you have something you want to get off your chest?

Maybe it's just me, but isn't there other issues in the community we should be fighting over about

if you're talking about my response to machete here, neither post were dealing with "fighting for gay marriage", but rather enforcing the rules of participating in this thread as a safe space.

• Like 1

Hi all. Someone mentioned that something was upsetting was said here, and out of pure curiosity, I wanted to see what it was. I quickly lost interest, maybe because I am not Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Taco, or Quesadilla (though, I am an Asshole). But I found a new interest; wtf is Alphabet Soup? I googled Alphabet Soup and I could only find that disgusting noodle soup I sometimes ate as a child when whoever was feeding me was being lazy.

• Like 3

Goal weight: 135 lbs (61.2 kg), Starting weight: 200 lbs (90.7 kg)

Current Weight: 196.6 lbs (89.2 kg)

5.2%
5.2%

Battle Log | Challenge

The chronicles of my journey through mental illness.

The Stories Not Told

Break the silence. Fight the stigmas. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Level 2 Half-Elf

|STR| 4 |DEX| |STA| |CON| |WIS| |CHA| 5