Forums are back in action! ×

MEN ONLY THREAD part two

I approve of having no children.

One disadvantage of so many guns - you have a hypothetical burglar searching the place. If these guns are not secured, you'd be best to assume that any burglar has already found one of your weapons when you go to confront them.

^ This is very true. And can lead to dangerous situations. I know people who keep guns in end tables fully loaded in their living room. That's just nuts. 

As a person who was recently (read: two months ago) robbed, I have put a lot of thought into what would i do, how would I secure my house in the event that this happened if I was at home. (I wasn't at home and it happened during the day.) 

A few notes for backstory: 

1) I am a Texan who spent a good amount of time growing up on a ranch.

2) I am familiar with guns and even own a few, although I store them at the ranch. 

3) I am a decent shot with a rifle and handgun. 

Now, even though I am familiar with guns and can use one I don't think I would ever use one in a robbery situation. What most people tend to forget is that during such a high stress situation all reason and logic goes out the window. Sure it is easy to consider using a weapon and shooting someone when it is not actually happening but think of the people who have to face this situation, namely military and police officers. They are trained for months and years to ignore the fear and actually pull the trigger. And still they sometimes freeze up in combat situations. For me personally, I have no training and doubt very much I would do any good with a gun if I were robbed. I may even accidentally shoot myself, a family member, etc. Being able to accurately gauge the situation and when to fire is a difficult call and something that should not be taken lightly. 

That said, I keep a softball bat under my bed and a high power flashlight in my nightstand (the ol' blind and beat method) to deal with unwanted intruders. 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Now, even though I am familiar with guns and can use one I don't think I would ever use one in a robbery situation. What most people tend to forget is that during such a high stress situation all reason and logic goes out the window. Sure it is easy to consider using a weapon and shooting someone when it is not actually happening but think of the people who have to face this situation, namely military and police officers. They are trained for months and years to ignore the fear and actually pull the trigger. And still they sometimes freeze up in combat situations. For me personally, I have no training and doubt very much I would do any good with a gun if I were robbed. I may even accidentally shoot myself, a family member, etc. Being able to accurately gauge the situation and when to fire is a difficult call and something that should not be taken lightly. 

Completely true, if I absolutely had to use a gun in self defense, it wouldn't be like: "Careful aiming, *BANG*", but more like: "AAAAAAAHHHH *BANG* *BANG* *BANG* *BANG* *BANG* *BANG* *BANG* *BANG* *BANG* *Click* *Click *Click* *Click* *Click *Click*", only to realize I would've shot the entire place to pieces, except for the burglar I was trying to shoot.

I would love to have had the training to actually be able to gauge such a situation accurately, but that's not going to happen any time soon...

Lever 3 Survivor - STR:5/DEX:2,75/STA:6/CON:3,5/WIS:3/CHA:1

Challenges: 1 | 2

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Robert Heinlein

+1 on the training. Most folks seem to think they'll buy the gun, go to the range once or twice and then shoot like special forces troops or something. It does seem backwards that its far less expensive to buy a gun & ammo than it is to get the training necessary to be able to use it under stress, and to know when its appropriate.

Getting a concealed permit is on my list of things to do, but personally I wouldn't be comfortable doing that without also taking some serious training courses in firearms, applicable legal stuff, and first aid.

Just a guy on a journey - Battle Log

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done - Bruce Lee

Be honest with yourself and ethically pursue your happiness - Laz

There's always someone around in my building and we all know each other (me and roommate are on the first floor, landlord on second, and my old roommate and his girlfriend on the third) which means someone weird shows up we check it out. In addition all my windows are curtained and anything valuable is hidden in some way so looking inside you can't see anything valuable, so less likely someone will be tempted. Also the wood axe I keep by the door seems to deter any questionable people who come over.

That said my place has been broken into a few times technically by friends either grabbing something or trying to wake me. Every time I've met them armed with my knife. A few times something has been off in the house and I've made the rounds kicking in doors looking for intruders armed but usually a result of friends coming or going. 

But yeah, my idea is confrontation. All my windows are large enough for a person to get through so I find someone in my place they're going to be told to leave, through the nearest window if need be.

Level 5 Orc Citizen Soldier

STR 7.5|DEX 9.5|STA 11|CON 12|WIS 20.5|CHA 8.5

Old Challenges 15/4 3/6 7/25

"Do it now."

I just file the whole thing under "things that are statistically very unlikely to happen to me" and don't worry about it further beyond a few basic sensible precautions - good quality locks, not leaving stuff on display, not leaving doors and windows open.

Level 4 Human Adventurer / Level 4 Scout, couch to 5k graduate, six time marathon finisher.

Spoiler

Current 5k Personal Best: 22:00 / 21:23 / 21:13 / 21:09 / 20:55 / 20:25 (4th July 17)

Current 5 mile PB: 36:41 35:27 34:52 (10th May 17)

Current 10k PB: 44:58 44:27 44:07 44:06 43:50 (29th June 17)

Current Half Marathon PB: 1:41:54 1:38:24 1:37:47 1:37:41 (14th June 15)

Current Marathon PB: 3:39:34 3:29:49 (10th April 16)

+1 on the training. Most folks seem to think they'll buy the gun, go to the range once or twice and then shoot like special forces troops or something. It does seem backwards that its far less expensive to buy a gun & ammo than it is to get the training necessary to be able to use it under stress, and to know when its appropriate.

Getting a concealed permit is on my list of things to do, but personally I wouldn't be comfortable doing that without also taking some serious training courses in firearms, applicable legal stuff, and first aid.

Most ccw class include the legal pieces.

sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Most ccw class include the legal pieces. sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

Perhaps in your state the required class offers more education, which is fantastic! I'm glad that's the case. In my case, I just wanted to attend a basic firearms safety course, and found out during the course that I had the option of completing the necessary paperwork and so forth to get my CCW because the class I was in satisfied the state requirement. I found both the amount of knowledge offered and skill required to pass worrisome. I think the legal pieces offered in that class could be summarized as "don't go in these buildings, don't open carry". There was no discussion of when it was / was not appropriate to exercise lethal force. No discussion about how to interact with law enforcement. The skill requirement was to the effect of firing 36 rounds at a paper target, and having all 36 rounds hit the paper.

I'm a staunch 2nd amendment supporter, but that experience left me rather worried about how much education & training people get in my state before they're allowed to put a gun on their hip and go out in public.

Just a guy on a journey - Battle Log

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done - Bruce Lee

Be honest with yourself and ethically pursue your happiness - Laz

Fuck, I don't even lock my back door.

I, honestly, I probably don't have to either. I guess I was just spooked because several years ago, while I was still living with my parents, a guy was making a run for it from a drug deal gone bad and he jumped our fence to hide it in my little bro's playhouse. He dumped his AK in the bushes as he did so. Of course, we called the cops and they responded in a hurry. Nobody was hurt, he never entered the house, and we all have a great story to tell about how my grandma is out on the back deck at 3 AM apologizing to the guy for calling the cops (he very politely said he understood we were scared, but he wasn't going to hurt any of us) and begging the cops to please stop using cuss words.

However, I have an overactive imagination and being married has awakened the protective part of my personality. Having that experience, and the thought that it COULD have been much worse, makes me want to be ready for anything.

Level 2 Human Ranger

STR [5] DEX [4.25] STA [3] CON [4] WIS [6] CHA [6.25]

Current Challenge

My Introduction

"Blood and sweat washes away pain and fear."

Current Challenge Goals:

Gentlemen, I come to repent, for I have gravely sinned.

I....I have shaved my beard. And I am shamed.

Okay, seriously though. I shaved it and now want it back immediately. I look 12 without it. I was curious what I would look like clean shaven after all my weight loss.... Curiosity sated, I made a huge mistake. Yes, it'll grow back in a few weeks... But dammit, that was stupid.

*sigh* Sorry. Just needed to post that somewhere which wouldn't be looked at as too weird.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Okay, seriously though. I shaved it and now want it back immediately. I look 12 without it. I was curious what I would look like clean shaven after all my weight loss.... Curiosity sated, I made a huge mistake. Yes, it'll grow back in a few weeks... But dammit, that was stupid.

*sigh* Sorry. Just needed to post that somewhere which wouldn't be looked at as too weird.

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

I'm scared of the dark.  I've always had an overactive imagination and can get freaked out. fear is in the mind.

As for plan on burglary, I have 2 tonfas, 2 crowbars, a sabre, and a replica gimli battleaxe by my bed.  If they break in, the cell phone is charging in the bedroom- just call and wait.  If they step into my bedroom they're getting beaten to death with something.  I'm not doing sledgehammer training for nothing.

and sorry about your beard.  I never shave anymore.  Only buzz on a 3 setting with my trimmer. I can see skin, but in a day or two i'll be fine.

We are afraid of the dark for a good reason, any other predator (and/or large mammal) going about in the dark is at a distinct advantage over our un-fanged, un-clawed, un-horned and unarmoured selves.

Two night orientation trekking leagues in the winter, and a few larps in deep woods with heavy cloud cover forced me to get a handle over the fear impulse.
I do feel the fear, I just don't let it influence my actions.

p.s. Riding in flip-flops is a cycling equivalent of running in a kilt! :)

STR: 2 / DEX: 2 / STA: 3 / CON: 2 / WIS: 3 / CHA: 3

PanHEMAphiliac.

It's okay. I love having a beard, but sometimes I just get sick of all the work involved. I shave it off, then stay clean for awhile, then I grow it back when the fancy strikes me.

After all, Chuck Norris may have a beard but Batman is clean-shaven.

Level 2 Human Ranger

STR [5] DEX [4.25] STA [3] CON [4] WIS [6] CHA [6.25]

Current Challenge

My Introduction

"Blood and sweat washes away pain and fear."

Current Challenge Goals:

You're all lucky - I, for one, can't seem to grow a beard even if my life depended on it.

Lever 3 Survivor - STR:5/DEX:2,75/STA:6/CON:3,5/WIS:3/CHA:1

Challenges: 1 | 2

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Robert Heinlein

Batman, Superman, Captain America, and Spiderman vs. Wolverine, Thor, and Chuck Norris... I don't know if one side necessarily loses.

“The world is indeed full of peril and in it there are many dark places.

But still there is much that is fair. And though in all lands, love is now

mingled with grief, it still grows, perhaps, the greater.â€

--J.R.R. Tolkien, "Return of the King"

"Are the gods not just?"

"Oh no, child. What would become of us if they were?"

--C.S. Lewis, "Till We Have Faces"

All I can imagine for that battle is a stalemate that occurs shortly after the rest of the world is devastated with Too Much Awesome.

And you followed shaving with a double post...

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

And you followed shaving with a double post...

Hm.  So I did.  I blame my phone.  Or we can go with my shame was so large it needed two posts.  Either or.

So i bought a razor a while ago from amazon and a barber's set.  I've tried shaving a few times now, and i've been more that unimpressed.  even after two-three passes i'm not getting a very good shave.  I think it might be the razors i'm using.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0077LAJT2/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

can anyone recommend me some razors?

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

LVL 3: Zoran Warrior

STR:9 | DEX:5 | STA:10 | CON:5 | WIS:12.75 | CHA:9

Current Challenge: Not Really A 6 Week Challenge Challenge

Previous Challenges: 1st2nd

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."