Forums are back in action! ×

The TRUTH About Personal Trainer Certifications!

Nocturnis

For all those who are looking into being a personal trainer and can decide which cert. to get here is some good info to help you. http://nicktumminello.com/2011/11/the-truth-about-personal-trainer-certifications/

http://www.theptdc.com/2011/11/top-personal-training-certifications-canada/

In my opinion its not the cert that matters but the amount of independent study you do. I know people who have no cert but are full of good solid training info and some that have a cert or two but seem like they get their info from fitness magazines.

My buddy hire a personal trainer to help him lose weight and the trainer told him to eat ramen without the flavor packet and a can a tuna for each meal. It's crazy how some people pay for such bad advice.

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nocturnis, Level 1 Half Elf Ranger

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 3|CHA 3

[/TABLE]

My ex (who seemed to be a fan of fad, easy diet) was told by a relatively fit supervisor that to lose wait all he had to do was eat tuna for every meal. A long time after that I was still getting rid of the crappy cheap tuna he bought for his diet. Bad advice is everywhere. I am sure he would have lost weight if he actually followed the diet.

Try everything once. If it kills you don't do it again.Paleo- So Easy A Caveman Can Do It

I have a friend who was recently certified. When he was getting ready to go through it, we had a nice long chat about my experience with various trainers. He was shocked when I told them most don't know bupkis about nutrition. Many know very little about physiology and ones that understand the interactions of hormones in the equation was non existent. And a trainer that had gotten fit after being fat and understood what that was like? Forget about it! He thought I was either kidding or just had a run of bad trainers.

Then he started his training - after tons of research he had done for himself during his journey of losing over 100 pounds. He was the only one who had ever needed to lose more than 25 lbs. The only one who had lived a sedentary life the majority of it. And as for physiology, nutrition, etc? Brushed over. He actually got more out of his training to receive his P90X Certified Coach certificate.

He seems to be doing well now that he's got all of his certs so he's "legal". I know I wouldn't hesitate to hire him!

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

Archived