Forums are back in action! ×

Learning a new language (Spanish)

shortstuff

One of my major problems with wanting to learn languages is commitment.

I've been listening to the Coffee Break Spanish podcasts which are engaging enough to keep me interested? It has only been maybe 3 weeks of seriously getting into it in which time i've gone through the first 6 podcasts (relistening to each several times). It's not lightning speed, but i feel comfortable with introductions, family, occupation etc. Next week is ordering something in a cafe, what fun!

Human Warrior       Level 11 (80%)

STR 3 | DEX 7 | STA 2 | CON 2.5 | WIS 3 | CHA 7
“Don't fear failure— Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail."

1. 23/10/14 - ride a wild Giant Tortoise... or at least see one (Isabela Island, Galapagos Islands)

2. 20/10/2014 (MASTER QUEST) - Grade to first dan (blackbelt) in Soo Bahk Do

3. 4/10/14 - hike the Inca Trail

I love the Spanish language.  My stepdad is from Mexico and I am so mad that he didn't teach us kids Spanish while we were growing up!  I could have been bilingual, man.  What a waste!

I am taking Spanish course through my university but I suck at actually speaking the language because I am really shy.  

My little brother just returned home from a 2 year volunteer stint in Paraguay so he is fluent now.  I'm going to rope him into helping me with my homework once the semester starts up again.  My 5 year old son likes to hear me speak Spanish but like I said, I'm really shy and self conscious so I don't speak it very often. 

I find that I understand 75% of what is spoken to me though - and that came from spending two weeks in Guatemala (after taking 3 years of high school Spanish.)  But seriously, two weeks and I was almost fluent with listening.  I just need to get back to a Spanish speaking country and I think I'll be golden!  :-) 

Si de volver a un país de habla hispana, siempre puedes venir a Chile si te interesa!
Buena gente, lindos paisajes, hiking por la cordillera de los andes es hermoso.

On the other hand, it's a really nice trick to watch some tv shows in the language you want to learn.

Without subtitles obviously :-)

I've started playing with Duolingo as a refresher for French and Spanish. It seems pretty good, especially given that it's free... :)

One thing that can help with comprehension when watching a movie in your target language is to use the subtitles for deaf speakers of that language. However, this doesn't work for dubbed movies, as the subtitles are often an independent translation for a different market than the dubbing (which gets confusing real fast ;). For that, just listening to a dubbed movie where you've seen it before in your language would be better.

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women

Reading through this topic has been super helpful! I'm currently working on Brazilian Portuguese, using Duolingo primarily. I tried Livemocha, but was a little intimidated by the responses I got from other people. I think I'm definitely going to try it again soon, though. I also met quite a lot of people while visiting Brazil last summer that I'm sure would be willing to Skype with me. That's another good option if you can't totally immerse yourself and have trouble finding local conversation partners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aisha
Half-Giant Warrior, Level 5

STR: 7 || DEX: 6 || STA: 8 || CON: 7.5 || WIS: 12.5 || CHA: 5

Challenges: 5 4 3 2 1

If you have come here to help me, you are wasting your time.

But if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine,

then let us work together. -Lilla Watson

My name is Nedders on Duolingo, and I'd love to have some competition on my leaderboard!

Level 2 Furyan Ranger    You keep what you kill

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3
6.1 6.2 | Duolingo | Daily Fitocracy

Spoiler

Captain Hammer: Have I seen you at the gym?

Billy: [smiles] At the gym!

Captain Hammer: [to himself] I don't go to the gym, I'm just naturally like this...

Hello there! 

My English speaking is a little rusty, so I'd be glad to exchange 15' of English conversation for 15' Spanish conversation

I'm from Argentina and I speak a different accent than Spain or Mexico, but I can try my best to say "Tu" instead of "vos" :)

Lvl 0 AdventurerChubby Wood ElfLearning to work out and to Vegan-Paleo eatingMens sana in corpore sano

Introduction | Battlelog | Holliday Mini Challenge (Weight lost: 3 lbs) | First Challenge in Progress

For Spanish there's also Spanishdict.com You can make friends and watch Vids on the language.

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

In addition to livemocha, I've also used http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/

A decent book to consider starting with is http://www.amazon.com/Madrigals-Magic-Key-Spanish-Creative/dp/0385410956

And with Hulu, or Netflix, you should be able to find a decent amount of Spanish language movies and television shows.

Buena suerte!

Race: Ogre Mage

LVL 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 | STA 0 | CON 0

Exercise to stimulate, not to annihilate. The world wasn't formed in a day, and neither were we.

Set small goals and build upon them.

~Lee Haney 

Archived