Forums are back in action! ×

Knee pain...what should I do?

Winged One

Near the end of the summer, I started running. After two weeks, my knees started to hurt so I took a break. Now, months later, my knees still ache on stairs and occasionally while walking. Will this ever go away? Do I need to see a doctor?

Winged One

Werewolf Assassin

"A terrifying mixture of the wits of man and the agility and efficiency of the wolf. Once he has your scent, you will never be safe wherever you are."

STR: 3 DEX: 2 STA: 3 CON: 2 WIS: 5 CHA: 2

Does it hurt more going up or down the stairs?

Is there tenderness and/or inflammation, or just pain? How would you describe the pain? Pinching, stabbing, just aching, etc.?

The aching of knees on stairs was the big red flag for me, but, that's because that's a symptom of two different patella issues, which generally require/benefit from physical therapy. The patella could be snagging against a tendon and/or cartilage.

I would advise turning to something that's not running, though, to put less stress on your knee, such as cycling or swimming. And I would probably get it checked out, because you don't want to be damaging things more. I hate going to the doctor, but when the first doctor I went to for knee pain said I'd be fine and could keep dancing... well, now instead of just scuffed, there's a slight tear in the cartilage of my knee. You don't want that! Plus, if it is a problem with the patella and how it sits, they will, in addition to showing you exercises, show you ways to tape it to keep it in place and diminish pain.

~Mara

Level 0 Half-Elf Adventurer

STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

Current Challenge  |  Battle Log

I had some issues after starting to run, but I realized I was going every day, then I knocked it down to every other day, your joints need time to rest. I've heard that barefoot running, once you get used to it, is easier on the knees, but there are whole sub-forums full of people who do that and could inform you better than me. Insoles could help, but I want to echo the others and say get it checked out, if there's damage there its better to check it out now before it gets too bad.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I have a lot of knee problems. what works for me is a lot of stretching, lots of ice after a workout, and sometimes ibuprofen and try to sty away from inflammatory foods. Sept of 2011, I got my first cortisone shot and told I would need them ever 3 to 6 months for the next 10 years until I can get a knee replacement, following the above steps, I haven't needed another shot, or the prescription anti inflammatory meds.

1 Rep Max Deadlift-180lbs

1 Rep Max Clean and Jerk-90lbs

1 Rep Max Push Press-70lbs

1 Rep Max Back Squat-135lbs

1 Rep Strict Press-65lbs

Fitocracy

2 weeks till Hawaii

I've had an ongoing battle with similar knee pain for a long time and have largely defeated it.

Things I've done:

1) Squat with perfect form. Move to one legged squatting when strong enough (it is better rehab for knee pain than 2 legged squatting), and possibly do them on a declined surface (better target of problem areas). Track your knees over your 2nd toe.

2) Leg mobility work. MobilityWOD is your friend. Once/if you can do single leg squatting, leg mobility work is largely unnecessary, a single leg squat is a leg mobility exercise.

3) Use your butt. Due to environmental factors, a lot of people forget how to use their glutes in everyday life, putting unnecessary strain on the quads and knee which leads to chronic pain. Do glute activation exercises frequently (straight leg deadlifts are the best, bodyweight only is fine when done as an activation exercise)

4) Don't heel strike when running. Shoe companies love it when you heel strike (except for Vibram), your knees hate it when you heel strike. Use your built in shock absorbing system. Forefoot or midfoot strike (to learn to midfoot strike, first learn to forefoot strike). Barefoot running forces this, but you can forefoot or midfoot strike in any shoes (you ceartainly don't need to buy special expensive shoes). It makes big poofy heels unnecessary (running shoes with big poofy heels become an annoyance more than anything).

5) Walk and move with good form. Use your glutes. Don't walk duck footed (walk with toes pointing forward). Don't knock your joints (especially applies to squatting and walking). Always try be mindful of your form and posture when moving.

Knee pain is often a sign of an underlying biomechanical issue or issues, being a symptom of a problem, not the problem itself.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

I have problem knees also, but the underlying problem is the muscles, not the joint. Build them up with squats and lunges. I had more problem with lunges than squats, and had to start out with just split squats & step ups. Absolutely go to the doc and do any PT that might be needed. I was able to do intervals, even though I couldn't run. Good luck.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

If you can, get an ultrasound of your knees to see what's going on, and once you know that the doctor should be able to recommend a course of action. My knee pain turned out to be bursitis, and, like Laureleye, the root cause was actually what my muscles were doing (basically pulled my kneecap so it didn't move right). The physiotherapist figured out what was going on and gave me some exercises & stretches to do, and now that I'm doing them regularly I have knee pain/achy-ness extremely rarely.

Archived