Forums are back in action! ×

A traveler hails from the neighboring country of Fitocracy!

Hi!

tl;dr: I consist of 140-something solid pounds of passive aggression, and a will to conquer everything I can't do. Barbells are my best friends, and I want to get my firefighter certification next year. Recovered bulimia and hypothyroidism are my only obstacles.

And the long part, my story!

My fitness before I moved to China in January of 2012 was spotty. I exercised to lose weight, and thought running was the best way to do so, despite problems with asthma. Nov '11 I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and by that point I was weak as hell and not eating at all and exhausted constantly. I got to China and was enrolled in a fitness class at school, where I got pretty fit with bodyweight/lightweight circuit training.

In May I discovered Fitocracy, and it changed me completely.

I learned a few things until June, left for the summer, and came back in August foaming at the mouth for some barbells.

Since August I've upped all of my lifts by 10-30 kg, and I lift at least every other day. I live for leg days. Deadlifts make me HAPPY.

My progress has slowed though, from a mix of thyroid fluctuation and other medications that make me not want to eat. I'm slowly falling back because I'm too afraid to gain fat to eat enough to maintain/gain muscle, and since I don't get hungry, I can't tell what's enough and what's too much.

Also sweet tooth.

List of things I want to conquer:

Firefighter 1 certification by 2014

Archery

Parkour (I'm terrified of jumping from things)

Run a mile without stopping (**** you, asthma!)

Kayaking

More rockclimbing

Fighting of some sort

Side splits

Nice to meet you!

Hi! I think we have a few things in common, like being afraid of jumping off of things. I have this oddly variable fear of heights. Sometimes they don't bother me at all and sometimes I'm completely petrified. Also, I adore your screen name, he was always my favorite Ent.

Space_Elf, Fallohide Hobbit Level 0. STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Battle Log | 

Science fiction is an existential metaphor, that allows us to tell stories about the human condition. Isaac Asimov once said: "Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

I'm hypothyroid and I struggled with the eating problems you describe. I never felt hungry and never felt full either. I took to eating by the numbers; eat a specific amount at a specific time. And the sweet tooth. I wanted sweets, and nothing was quite as sweet as I wanted. An increase in my thyroid meds helped both of these, although it helped the sweet tooth more. It really sucks that you're having thyroid problems at only 18. I found this site helpful. Good luck.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Archived