Forums are back in action! ×

Shooting in Newtown Connecticut

Gainsdalf the Whey

I'm really surprised it hasn't been posted yet. Looks like the shooter killed his brother at home in NJ, drove to the elementary school where his mother teaches and gunned down anyone on the way to her classroom where he killed her and a bunch of kids. Over 20 kids dead, rumors of over 100 shots fired. Right before Christmas. Those poor families and poor kids. I'm so appalled and I can't work because I can't concentrate on anything. I hope none of my further north eastern friends has anyone involved.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

My heart and prayers go out to the families.There is a picture of a mom holding her crying son. The surviving children have had their innocent childhood ripped from them and it breaks my heart

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

yeah. sigh.

i've really had nothing to say about it, so have just kept quiet.

Usually my approach as well, but I can't concentrate on anything and needed to bring it up. Keep thinking of my little brother who is about this age and what I would do should this happen. It's unbelievable, I just can't understand what would enable someone to have this in them.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I'm not in the US but it's tremendously horrible, and sickens me. Words seem futile with tragedies like this.

For once, The Onion actually does a good job at providing a serious article: The Onion

Ash nazg durbatulûk

Îα είσαι καλÏτεÏος άνθÏωπος από τον πατέÏα σου

â–²STR 7 | DEX 11 | STA 6 | CON 6 | WIS 9 | CHA 5â–²

i just...my kindergartener is napping in the other room, home sick the past 3 days. i want to hold him and never let him go. all this pain, loss, heartbreak. i am so sad not only for the families of those lost, but for the young man who was so lost and confused that he brought his pain to bear on us today. i will repeat what i have read elsewhere: i wish mental health care were easier to obtain than a gun.

bombshell

level 3

amazon adventurerSTR 8.5|DEX 2.75|STA 7.25|CON 8|WIS 9.25|CHA 3

queen of the rink

My heart goes out to the survivors and the victim's families. Makes me sick anytime the nihilistic views of one person results in something like this. Even worse when it involves children. Hug your kids tonight

Porkchop / Level 4 / Mammal-Adventurer

STR - 14  DEX - 4  STA - 7  CON - 11 WIS - 13  CHA - 7

“Wherever you are...be all there†

Challenge #4

I'm not in the US but it's tremendously horrible, and sickens me. Words seem futile with tragedies like this.

For once, The Onion actually does a good job at providing a serious article: The Onion

They said it better than I ever could.

"Before I do anything I ask myself 'Would an idiot do that?' And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing." - Dwight Kurt Schrute

Level 2 Cossack Assassin

STR: 2.5 DEX: 2.5 STA:CON:WIS:CHA: 5

A friend of a friend's mom was one of the teachers who was shot and didn't make it. She isn't someone who I knew at all, I didn't even know her daughter. But it still made the tragedy hit home. It made my problems at work today seem super petty. Who am I to complain that I'm not getting paid enough when someone's mom isn't coming home ever again? When that many children won't be opening their Christmas presents this year? When all their parents have a pile of already bought presents sitting in a closet somewhere that will never make it under the tree?

Theatresara: Wig Stylist and Interactive Performer extraordinaire 

Current Challenge Thread   http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/73790-theatresara-joins-the-scouts/

Main Quest:  Lose 30 Pounds

0%
0%

From the Onion:

Following reports of a mass shooting at a Connecticut elementary school that left 20 children dead, sources just confirmed that it is totally fine to spend the entire rest of today curled up in the fetal position underneath your desk. Early reports also indicated that sitting on the floor while holding your knees to your chest and slowly rocking back and forth is not only acceptable, but, sources said, absolutely understandable. According to officials, it is furthermore fully okay should you want to simply stare at nothing in particular for several minutes in total silence, get under the covers of your bed and bury your face in a pillow, or weep uncontrollably with your head in your hands. At press time, sources reported that you should also feel free to call your loved ones at some point in the day, if you think that will help.

Also, please excuse the language, but I believe this needs repeated from the article Tocho originally linked:

...as if the same fucking bullshit isn’t going to keep happening again and again and fucking again before people finally decide it’s time to change the way we live...

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Mike Huckabee ® on school shooting

"We ask why there is violence in our schools, but we have systematically removed God from our schools," Huckabee said on Fox News. "Should we be so surprised that schools would become a place of carnage?"
"We don't have a crime problem, a gun problem or even a violence problem. What we have is a sin problem," Huckabee said on Fox News. "And since we've ordered God out of our schools, and communities, the military and public conversations, you know we really shouldn't act so surprised ... when all hell breaks loose."

Huckabee proceeds by showing graphs of the daily school shootings in secularised Europe to prove his point... Oh wait, no, because that's not happening. No offence to any American on here but the inability to differentiate between God and politics in America is ridiculous.

This kind of statement makes me feel even more forlorn...

Anyway, shouldn't make this into a big political discussion but I just had to post this because it's sickening.

My heart goes out to the victims and their families and friends.

Ash nazg durbatulûk

Mike Huckabee ® on school shooting

Huckabee proceeds by showing graphs of the daily school shootings in secularised Europe to prove his point... Oh wait, no, because that's not happening. No offence to any American on here but the inability to differentiate between God and politics in America is ridiculous.

This kind of statement makes me feel even more forlorn...

Anyway, shouldn't make this into a big political discussion but I just had to post this because it's sickening.

My heart goes out to the victims and their families and friends.

I'm going to stay out of anything political here, for many reasons, but all I want to say is remember that one guy on fox news != the US as a whole.

people are going to be trying to make excuses and come up with reasons for this for a long time, when really, there are none. It was just cruel. And my heart hurts badly.

(If this post seems brief or anything like that it's because I'm using my phone and don't want to type a lot :))

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Of course not, that's not what I was trying to imply. Sorry if it seemed that way.

But of course there are reasons. But this is not the place nor the time to discuss them, this is a time for grieving.

Ash nazg durbatulûk

Of course not, that's not what I was trying to imply. Sorry if it seemed that way.

But of course there are reasons. But this is not the place nor the time to discuss them, this is a time for grieving.

:)

(If this post seems brief or anything like that it's because I'm using my phone and don't want to type a lot :))

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

I think this is the heart of it. Really just not the time to discuss the reason it is the time to express our sorrow and grief for the people involved

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I enter this conversation without any children of my own, but instead with seven nephews and two nieces. All but one of those amazing children that I love are in school, ranging between kindergarten to high school. The events of yesterday make me, like so many others, feel so impotent with regards to how to keep safe those we love.

Also, thanks for the bit of levity from The Onion there, Tocho. Seriousness with macabre comedy seems fitting in light of tragedy.

TheRedWriter

Level 3 Doppelganger Ranger
"Think not that you have to win. Think instead that you do not have to loose."
STR 8|DEX 4.5|STA 11|CON 6|WIS 6.5|CHA 5

Archived