Forums are back in action! ×

Photo Journey of 2012

Waldo

I joined NF just over a year ago, late Dec 2011, already well into lifestyle change, down over 40 lbs from my high point.  2012 was a good year, and I never lost focus, and participated in all but one challenge (skipped the second, was still actively posting a workout log, just lacked goals that worked with a challenge format).  I finished my initial weight loss, then did a bulking/cutting cycle later in the year.  One of the big lessons that NF taught me was the importance of progress photos.  So here is my progress in 2012:

Collage2012final_zps0b7d5681.jpg

Some notes:

Initial cut lasted to 5/24

Bulked 6/18 to 10/15

Cut 10/29 to 12/19

Maintenance for 2 weeks between cutting/bulking

Low weigh-in of 186.6 lb on 5/24

Actual start was 9/11/2011, weighed 262.5 lb

Most probably know me, for those that don't:

- I am an IIFYM (if it fits your macros) dieter.  Calorie counting (hitting weekly goals) with daily protein goals (1 g/lb LBM, later switched to 1 g/lb weight).  I don't care so much about carb:fat ratio, but will take carbs over fat any day.  I strongly disagree with diets that eliminate foods.

- I'm pretty hardcore into data.  Charts and graphs.  I weigh daily and do a full slate of measurements weekly.  There is no such thing as too much data.

- I exercise 7 days a week.  I never skip working out unless I planned to ahead of time, which is very rare outside of football season.

- I run, walk, strength train, and do yoga.  

- For strength training I use bodyweight and some dumbbells at home.  Most exercises are bodyweight, my resistance is limited to 15, 25, 35 lb hex DB sets, an adjustable 60 lb weight vest (relatively new), and 10 lb ankle weights.

- I don't agree with skipping cardio, don't agree with doing HIIT (except in a few cases), and have never touched a barbell in my life.

I'm looking forward to an even more epic 2013.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Wow, what a transformation Waldo!  And congratulations on getting to where you are now.

Your photo journey really showcases the impressive change!

Eirlys - Long Time Wood Fairy Druid

Current Challenge: S4 (Sleep, Sugar, Spending, Son)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Done is better than perfect

-- Facebook

Amazing pictures!  It really shows your transformation.  It also shows that you don't need to do tons of cardio or lift big to get results.  Truely an inspiration!

Level 6 Half-Pony Warrior Assassin
STR 9.5 | DEX 6 | STA 12.5 | CON 12.5 | WIS 15.5 | CHA 13.5
Current Challenge: Working out for two

"Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something" - Jake the Dog

Amazing pictures!  It really shows your transformation.  It also shows that you don't need to do tons of cardio or lift big to get results.  Truely an inspiration!

Well I do a fair amount of cardio.  Walk and run about 10 miles a week each.  A lot of people say to drop the cardio when bulking, something I don't agree with.

However in the realm of cardio, 10 mi/wk walking and running is next to nothing.

currently cutting

don't panic!

Well I do a fair amount of cardio.  Walk and run about 10 miles a week each.  A lot of people say to drop the cardio when bulking, something I don't agree with.

As long as you make up any lost calories you would still be bulking right?

Also, very well done ^_^

Live the life you love because it's the only life you'll lead.

Wow, quite an impressive and inspiring transformation!  Congrats!

You seem to have had great success embracing the bulk/cut cycle.  Can you share any details of how you approach this?  What do you change between the two phases, and how do you determine your various nutritional and exercise goals?  You said you're a big fan of data, so I assume you're fairly scientific about it.

Any tips you can give an aspiring newcomer are greatly appreciated!

- When I went from fat to not fat, I cut with a daily deficit of 1000 cal/day on average over the week, 1 g/lb est LBM protein per day.

- Once I became not fat, any cutting was (is) done with a daily deficit of 500 cal/day weekly average and a daily protein intake of 1 g/lb bodyweight.

- Bulking was (is) done with a daily surplus of 500 cal/day weekly average and a daily protein intake of 1 g/lb bodyweight.

Pretty simple and straightforward.  I keep track of my weight daily and reconcile results with my calorie intake/burned estimate to estimate my non-exercise maintenence calorie amount in order to set calorie goals.  I use myfitnesspal to track exercise and eating calories, and I use a method similar to what is found in "the Hackers Diet" to estimate my metabolism to set calorie goals.  I've found it pretty easy to lose/gain/maintain at pretty much the exact rate I set.

currently cutting

don't panic!

Awesome Waldo.  What was your intial estimated BF% and what is it now?

edit: I'm talking in the pictures, not your initial 40 lb cut.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Wow! Congratulations, that's awesome! It's amazing to see the difference in just the first 3 months, it's inspiring to see how quickly a major improvement can be made if you do the right things.

Level 0 Pixie

"The cure for anything is salt water - tears, sweat or the sea" - Isak Dinesen

Archived