Forums are back in action! ×

2013 Must-Reads

Thilde

I'm tackling another reading challenge via Goodreads for the coming year.  In 2012 I read 44 books; aiming for 48 in 2013.  I have started a book list on Goodreads (link in my sig), and it has a LOT of empty spaces left.  I know y'all are avid readers (in fact, we have a book group thread somewhere but I couldn't find it on this newfangled and awesome forum system!), so what are your recommendations?  What books do you plan to read in 2013?  What are your favorite books from childhood?  Favorite books of all time?  Favorite nonfiction books?  My tastes are quite literally all over the map, from sci-fi/fantasy to classic lit/drama to historical fiction to straight-up trashy romance to biography and nonfiction....also including graphic novels and books translated into English.

Related:  Anyone else doing the 2013 Goodreads challenge and want to link up on that site too?  I am SamBWilkes over there.

Sambie - great to see another reading Ranger!!  I'm umdbzj over at Goodreads (http://www.goodreads.com/umdbzj).  I got through 72 books last year and am hoping to get a book per week read this year.

My tastes are also ecletic, although I tend heavily toward sci-fi and fantasy when I'm not reading education and technology non-fiction.

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

I read I think 45 books in 2012.  I was shooting for 52, but it didn't quite work out.  So I'm going to keep that goal this year.  Personally, I recommend The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay.  One of my favorite books of all time.

And I, too, am on GoodReads (http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4821151-david), so feel free to add me if you wish.

Level 3 Ranger

STR: 6 | DEX: 3 | STA: 9 | CON: 4 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 5

Current Challenge

I just joined Goodreads this year, so I have no idea how many books I read last year.  Aiming for 45 this year, so we'll see how it goes.  I read stuff all over the map, but I've been reading some classics that either I missed in high school or don't feel like I appreciated.  I also read some YA stuff, some non-fiction, and I'm a big fan of dystopias.  The only things I usually stay away from are pop-lit and mystery/thriller, although I've read some things recommended in both genres and liked them.  http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/7307171-becky :)

Sambie - great to see another reading Ranger!!  I'm umdbzj over at Goodreads (http://www.goodreads.com/umdbzj).  I got through 72 books last year and am hoping to get a book per week read this year.

My tastes are also ecletic, although I tend heavily toward sci-fi and fantasy when I'm not reading education and technology non-fiction.

Added you!  :)

I read I think 45 books in 2012.  I was shooting for 52, but it didn't quite work out.  So I'm going to keep that goal this year.  Personally, I recommend The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay.  One of my favorite books of all time.

And I, too, am on GoodReads (http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4821151-david), so feel free to add me if you wish.

52 is an awesome goal, a book a week!  Just added The Power of One to my 2013 reading list. :)  And added you to my friends list over on GR.

I just joined Goodreads this year, so I have no idea how many books I read last year.  Aiming for 45 this year, so we'll see how it goes.  I read stuff all over the map, but I've been reading some classics that either I missed in high school or don't feel like I appreciated.  I also read some YA stuff, some non-fiction, and I'm a big fan of dystopias.  The only things I usually stay away from are pop-lit and mystery/thriller, although I've read some things recommended in both genres and liked them.  http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/7307171-becky :)

Hey, you already found me on Goodreads, so yay!  Sounds like we are an eclectic bunch when it comes to taste in books.  That is awesome.  :)

i just signed up.  I just finished the latest dresden files book.  i fell into a slup in 2012 reading wise, looking to come out of that and pick some new stuff up.

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

I just finished the Happiness Project which I enjoyed. I just an anniversary copy of The Phantom Tollbooth (from childhood) that I plan to reread.

I'm Heather Chansler on goodreads :)

I read the Phantom Tollbooth for the first time last year and LOVED it.  I don't know how I never encountered that book as a child....it was so something little-kid me was into.

I will find you on Goodreads!  yay for Rebels who love to read!  :)

I'm doing the challenge (username betyplush), but only shooting for a pathetic 12 books. I'm currently on the wheel of time series, and those books take me forever to get through, so I figure I can shoot for at least 1/month during the school year through the end of the series (currently nearing the end of book 4/14) and then tear through a bunch of shorter novels for as many as possible toward the end of the year if I've gotten behind. That said, I'm looking for at least two books to round out my goal!

At around 2 minutes per page, I'm looking at 30 hours of reading time for each of the Wheel of time books, so time to buckle down on the reading!

Great thread Sam

I tend to be all over the place with my reading subject matter, but here are a few reccomendations

Of course the Song of Ice and Fire series, Pretty much anything from J.R.R Tolkein, The last handfull of books from Harlan Coben "Long Lost", "Livewire"...) Christopher Moore's "You Suck" and "A Dirty Job"  Orson Scott Cards "Enders Game"  Stieg Larsson's Millenium Trilogy, Walter Isaacsons biography on Steve Jobs

What books do you plan to read in 2013? 

I am currently reading "Yoga Anatomy" by Leslie Kaminoff, I am HOPING that George RR Martin gets his butt in gear and writes book 6 before 2013 is over but im not going to hold my breath. After that im actually at a loss for what to read this year maybe ill be insipired by another posters reccomendations.

What are your favorite books from childhood?

I loved Michael Moorcocks Elric Series and his Corum Series as a kid. Also Stephen Kings Dark Tower series paticularly "the Gunslinger" There has been a series of graphic novels that deal with the main characters life before we meet him in the Gunslinger, which a definitely recommend.

Favorite book of all time....I think Mr Martin won me with "A Clash of KIngs" 

Thats all I can think of at the moment. Enjoy your books, whatever you choose!

Level 2 Human Druid

STR 6 | DEX 4 | STA 3 | CON 4 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

“We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.â€â€• Joseph Campbell

Replying mostly to stick this in my content to get book ideas later but as for books I've enjoyed:  Timeline by Michael Crichton was good and Saving Rachel by John Locke had such a fast pace it was difficult to put down (also very short so well suited for getting you to your goal).

Also, favorite books from childhood were the A Wrinkle in Time series by Madeleine L'Engle.

Danielle, Level 2 Forest Nymph Adventurer

STR 6.5 | DEX 2 | STA 4+1 | CON 9 | WIS 6+1 | CHA 3+1

Inventory: 5 silver pieces, a free dinner (full of vegetables), shiny belt of Endurance, Babel Fish

Challenges: 1 2

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone"

Background | MFP

Anyone who likes fantasy should check out the Assassin's Apprentice Trilogy by Robin Hobb.

Even those who don't like it but are open to liking it should give it a go. I was one of these; the only 'high' fantasy I'd ever read before was Tolkein, but these blew me away. I'm on her second trilogy now and can't wait to reach the third and fourth. She's a fantastic writer. 

Honestly the character of Fitz in those first three books is just about the most developed character I've ever encountered in a novel. 

http://jackblog.org

Jack Blog | The Blog of Jack

Anyone who likes fantasy should check out the Assassin's Apprentice Trilogy by Robin Hobb.

Even those who don't like it but are open to liking it should give it a go. I was one of these; the only 'high' fantasy I'd ever read before was Tolkein, but these blew me away. I'm on her second trilogy now and can't wait to reach the third and fourth. She's a fantastic writer. 

Honestly the character of Fitz in those first three books is just about the most developed character I've ever encountered in a novel. 

I'll have to look out for these.

I read her Liveship Traders series and really enjoyed it (though it was NOT at all what I was expecting when I picked up the first book.

A book a week is a great idea! I'm over at Goodreads too (here) but haven't really kept up with updating it.  At the moment I'm reading Richard Ellman's biography of Oscar Wilde after reaching a sort of impasse with the second A Song of Ice and Fire book...my job lets me listen to audiobooks which is good, so I've gotten through a lot of books that way that I wouldn't necessarily have been able to before (also means wall to wall Harry Potter of course)

Branwell: Level 1, Ravenclaw Mutant Ranger 

WIS:6/STR:4/STA:3/CHA:2

Some cause joy wherever they go; others whenever they go.

I cannot live without my life, I cannot live without my soul!

I'll have to look out for these.

I read her Liveship Traders series and really enjoyed it (though it was NOT at all what I was expecting when I picked up the first book.

I'm just getting to the end of the first book in that trilogy. 

I'm surprised you've read that but not the Assassin one, people usually seem to have read that first. It's the same world, though a geographically distinct part of it (set in the Six Duchies if that rings a bell). Definitely worth it. 

http://jackblog.org

Jack Blog | The Blog of Jack

First of all, THERE ARE READING CHALLENGES!?

How do I start one of these challenges?? How do you decide how many books to read??

I'm currently on the wheel of time series, and those books take me forever to get through, so I figure I can shoot for at least 1/month during the school year through the end of the series (currently nearing the end of book 4/14) and then tear through a bunch of shorter novels for as many as possible toward the end of the year if I've gotten behind. 

Grizzy, I am on the 5th book right now and they do take so long to get through! I have been interspersing them with other books so as not to get burned out  :pride:

Some books that I have really enjoyed recently include the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson, The Twilight War Trilogy by Paul Kemp, The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss (the first two books that are out anyway), and Dream Thief by Lawhead. 

As a disclaimer, I have been on a total fiction kick since I graduated 6 months ago. I really didnt have time to get into any good fiction while I was studying and have probably gone a little overboard now that I have the chance. I also have quite unfairly blocked out any form of nonfiction. 

First of all, THERE ARE READING CHALLENGES!?

How do I start one of these challenges?? How do you decide how many books to read??

The reading challenges are on Goodreads.com.  Sign up and on the right-hand side there's a little thing asking you how many books you want to read this year.  And just pick a few more books than you think you will.  That's what I do, anyway.

Level 3 Ranger

STR: 6 | DEX: 3 | STA: 9 | CON: 4 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 5

Current Challenge

Everyday I discover something new on these forums.  I love Goodreads!  I read a ton last year (boring job..), but this year I've been slacking a bit (no more boring job).  I never noticed the challenge on there before.  I choose 24 for 2013, just because my pace has started off slow.. maybe I'll boost that up as I go ;)  I tend to stick to Fantasy & Non-Fiction.. kind of an odd match :rapture:  My final Wheel of Time book has been staring at me on my nightstand for a few weeks now.. I used to have a bit of an insomnia problem, but since I've cleaned up my act some.. I keep falling asleep!

I think my user name is Andi_K if anyone would like to add me :)

Archived