Forums are back in action! ×

What's your hands-on hobby?

Evicious

I knit ALL the lace, I read a lot, and I indulge in various craftiness as I need things.

I need a new project bag for a bigger knitting project? Sew it up! Too poor for expansive Christmas gifts for everyone? Infuse cheap liquor to make it tastier! Running out of space for my nail polish? Build a wall-mounted rack!

Level 1 Wood Elf Druid

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 1 | CON 3 | WIS 2 | CHA 3

First Challenge

Haha I think the appeal of the reciprocating saw is similar to the appeal for watching large buildings be demolished, fireworks, etc.  There's just something about destruction that's awesome.  Then again, I'm also someone who thinks the gun range is a fun date so I might not be average.  My dad has a sawzall and brings it out whenever we need it so until I can really justify that, I'll just use his (and then I'll get one and start cutting anything I'm allowed to destroy).

My drill is on the lower end as far as quality and power anyway so we'll probably hang onto it, especially since the head rotates for awkward angles but get a better one with more power.  I bought it when I was in an apartment and needed it for putting small furniture together with pre-drilled holes, hanging stuff on the wall, etc.  Oh and because old people said it was lightweight and I had no muscles at the time.  Now I'm ready for the heavy duty ones :)

Minor gunsmithing. I plan on building my own AR soon.

It's amazing us nerds liking all these similar "non-nerdy" things... Awesome idea for a thread!  Guns rock, Nothing like putting a bunch of holes in a target!  I've been wanting to get a handgun to screw around with at the range, but just can't quite justify the money right now.  Until then I'll just have to piddle around with my .22 and Mosin Nagant. 

What goes into building your own AR?  Would you make all the components yourself (sorry, I know next to nothing about making guns)?

“Obstacles are things a person sees when he takes his eyes off his goal.â€
- E. Joseph Crossman

lvl 1 Cylon Assassin 

STR 3 CON 2 STA 3 DEX 3 WIS 2 CHA 2

~Adapt and Overcome~

Challenge http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/22528-new-beginnings

Log http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/22111-elefevers-log/

What goes into building your own AR?  Would you make all the components yourself (sorry, I know next to nothing about making guns)?

Basically you buy all the components ready made (stripped upper/lower receiver, barrel, buffer, trigger pack, grip, sights, etc.) and assemble it yourself. Its fairly simple and  takes very few specialized tools. Sort of like an adult Lego or Erector set. The great thing about it is you get to build and customize it they way you want from the beginning and learn a helluva lot about the platform along the way. The next step up would be building an AK from a parts kit. That requires some fabrication and welding skills.

Gardening... but i am discovering an interest in just about everything from auto repair to home improvement.  I love watching a YouTube video and solving a problem on my own.

I worked for a local non-profit helping to expand community gardening in my city! Nothing more gratifying than growing and eating your own food.   

- E. Joseph Crossman

lvl 1 Cylon Assassin 

~Adapt and Overcome~

Challenge http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/22528-new-beginnings

Just getting into shooting myself. :) What do you shoot?

I love shooting .22 to be honest.  It's just so cheap...you can shoot all day before it costs serious money.  .22 ammo tends to be dirty though and not as consistent for accuracy.  Other than that, I shoot 9mm for fun and that's also what I use for self defense practice.  I really like Sig as my 9.  I'll shoot .45 if someone else is but don't have any of my own.  I have small hands so it's hard to find one with a grip that's small enough for me purely because the ammo is larger.  It's also got more of a kick.  I do pistols (revolver & semi automatic) and rifles...haven't gotten into shotguns (yet).

What about you?  I just started a couple years ago so I'm not super proficient but I'm gettin there!

Danielle, Level 2 Forest Nymph Adventurer

STR 6.5 | DEX 2 | STA 4+1 | CON 9 | WIS 6+1 | CHA 3+1

Inventory: 5 silver pieces, a free dinner (full of vegetables), shiny belt of Endurance, Babel Fish

Challenges: 1 2

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone"

Background | MFP

Gardening... but i am discovering an interest in just about everything from auto repair to home improvement.  I love watching a YouTube video and solving a problem on my own.

YouTube is amazing.  I've learned everything from how to crochet to how to install my dishwasher on there.  Strangely, the dishwasher was easier.

Inventory: 5 silver pieces, a free dinner (full of vegetables), shiny belt of Endurance, Babel Fish

Background | MFP

It's telling me I don't have permission to view the file :(

I'm slowly (VERY slowly) building up my power tool collection.  So far, just a drill, dremel and circular saw but that's pretty much all I need for now.  I was staring at empty space in my kitchen below the window and above the  heater...this might be a perfect place to snag your idea and germinate an herb garden or something.  I'm trying to use basically every square inch of the kitchen since I'm huge into cooking/baking and my house is pretty tiny.

As for using scraps:  I tend to view it as efficient use of materials.  My box spring didn't fit up the stairs at my house so while I was waiting for my dad to cut it, we used bed slats from Ikea.  Now I'm using the slats to build my spice rack shelves.

I think I'm all set with the cages for now.  The only animal in my foreseeable future is my beast of a puppy (he's a pit boxer mix who got gigantic fast) and he's almost bigger than me at this point.

50eb70e877ac3_20130107_095423_resized.jp

Ok I figured it out. Like I said, its a little rough, but it gets the job done!

- E. Joseph Crossman

lvl 1 Cylon Assassin 

~Adapt and Overcome~

Ok I figured it out. Like I said, its a little rough, but it gets the job done!

Ok so I probably wouldn't put that in my kitchen lol.  But nothing wrong with that...I just have a super fancy solid wood kitchen island to contend with.  I'll probably use something similar to that basic idea...just have to figure out how to build around the radiator.  I'm hoping to use up more of the bed slats.  I have dozens and they're decent wood.  Nothing fancy, just pine slats.  Maybe this will be my life goal for challenge #3 (next challenge has to be pallet furniture before my girlfriend kills me for dragging her to pick up pallets in the dark).

Background | MFP

Ok so I probably wouldn't put that in my kitchen lol.  But nothing wrong with that...I just have a super fancy solid wood kitchen island to contend with.  I'll probably use something similar to that basic idea...just have to figure out how to build around the radiator.  I'm hoping to use up more of the bed slats.  I have dozens and they're decent wood.  Nothing fancy, just pine slats.  Maybe this will be my life goal for challenge #3 (next challenge has to be pallet furniture before my girlfriend kills me for dragging her to pick up pallets in the dark).

Building around a radiator would be awesome, germinating seeds would loooooove it! If your drill can handle it you can get one of the large bits (crazy round blade looking ones, can't remember what they are called) and bore holes in your frame to fit around the piping of the radiator. Mine just sits in an awkward nook with a window so I never have to look at it lol.  

- E. Joseph Crossman

lvl 1 Cylon Assassin 

~Adapt and Overcome~

I love shooting .22 to be honest.  It's just so cheap...you can shoot all day before it costs serious money.  .22 ammo tends to be dirty though and not as consistent for accuracy.  Other than that, I shoot 9mm for fun and that's also what I use for self defense practice.  I really like Sig as my 9.  I'll shoot .45 if someone else is but don't have any of my own.  I have small hands so it's hard to find one with a grip that's small enough for me purely because the ammo is larger.  It's also got more of a kick.  I do pistols (revolver & semi automatic) and rifles...haven't gotten into shotguns (yet).

What about you?  I just started a couple years ago so I'm not super proficient but I'm gettin there!

we have a couple 9 mm Glocks that we take to the range on occasion. I'm currently in the hunt for something to be MINE, though. :) 9mm probably, to keep all our ammo needs the same.

I've been interested in getting a shotgun, but need to find a place to go shoot it.

I am currently trying to get started on making my own bow with only hand tools. I love to work with my hands and could think of nothing better to make :) It will take a lot of time and practice though. And likely a few goosebumps when the thing snaps and hits me in the face lol

Level 1

0%
0%

Food Goal #1: 5 Servings of Fruits/Veg for 30 Days

13%
13%

Fitness Goal #1: 5000 Steps for 30 Days

3%
3%

Life Goal #1: Keep a Room in Peak Shape for 30 Days

3%
3%
Oh hobbies. How I wish I had more time for you. I do a lot of "nerdy" stuff like reading and gaming, but I love crochet, jewelry making, sewing, and costuming. Hopefully I will get to break out the sewing machine during this challenge.

Just how I feel.  I have 2 plushies that are still waiting to be dressed (the suit jacket for one is almost finished - Elena from the Turks), and a divided petticoat for a steampunk outfit that is taunting me with 20 rows of tucks that take an hour to do each (7 down).

Am trying to make myself find time for these.

Little Miss Gibson, Half-orc Adventurer [1]STR 4|DEX 3|STA 1|CON 2|WIS 3|CHA 3

Current challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/22168-little-nerds-first-challenge/

Mini-challenges: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/23509-adventurer-mini-challenge-3/

Inventory: 6ft oak staff; baby carrots; rat-tail; 10 silver pieces

I am currently trying to get started on making my own bow with only hand tools. I love to work with my hands and could think of nothing better to make :) It will take a lot of time and practice though. And likely a few goosebumps when the thing snaps and hits me in the face lol

This sounds awesome!  Hopefully you get it done with only minor incidents :)

Background | MFP

I crochet, bake, and garden.  Baking is something I need to stop doing, since I end up eating everything I make though T_T

I crocheted Pestilence from Undead Nightmare

87da669339d25c2c299363d8bff8a0b7-d58b9xz

I'm not in front.

I'm close behind.

But I'll catch up, just give me time.

I gotta go, go, go, go, go, you can't go fast if you go too slow

so go, go, go, go, go!

I crochet, bake, and garden.  Baking is something I need to stop doing, since I end up eating everything I make though T_T

I crocheted Pestilence from Undead Nightmare

Have you tried using recipes from sites like Chocolate Covered Katie?  I'm not a fan of artificial sweeteners so I would sub some ingredients from her recipes but they tend to let you get your baking fix without a million calories.  She does a lot of single serving recipes too (though many of those I would split with someone still).

Background | MFP

Well let's see:

I spin yarn, knit, weave, quilt, sew, scrapbook, do photography, some drawing, writing, occasional naalbinding, learning needlepoint, learning shooting of things other than rifles and playing with drawing using my ipad.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

I'm building a Lego world in my spare bedroom. Somewhat medieval themed, with modifications. The main kingdom has a castle, farms, houses, and an assortment of economic infrastructure including a bakery, bank, inn, tavern, post office, smithy, and various shops. A bustling maritime economy is brewing, though piracy/privateering is rampant. Recently annexed by the main kingdom is the wizarding-and-assorted-supernatural-entity community, who are the technological powerhouses of the realm. Dwelling inside the bordering mountains are the dwarves, who have impressive architectural and engineering developments. On the far side of the mountains are dinosaurs, which, with the addition of magic from the wizards, become dragons. Neighboring to the west is the rival kingdom, though I haven't had a chance to expand their lands yet (space limitations, alas). To the north is Viking territory, where significant advancements in weapons technology and navigation are being made. To the southeast-ish across the sea is Egypt, tentatively at peace with the main kingdom for the moment. They bring a thriving trade economy in exotic foods, spices, arts, and materials, though their culture clashes uncomfortably with the main kingdom's.

There's a bit of an odd mix of technologies in my world. Customarily, transportation is on horseback, and warriors use sword, knife, and bow&arrow. Guns exist, though the general consensus from men of honor is that they are a coward's weapon never to be used in personal combat or hunting. Outlaws, of course, have no such qualms about their use. Tranquilizer guns are used against dinosaurs. Their effectiveness against dragons is limited, so proper nurturing and training from infancy is required. An elite faction of the king's army runs the dragon training program. Motor vehicles, including airplanes, do exist, though they are mainly used by the postal service. Limited medical care exists currently through scattered midwives and mages, though I really do need to make a hospital or something. I credit the technological mix to the presence of a Stargate.

Future expansion plans, when I move to a larger place, include expanded water life (merpeople, Atlantis, etc.), savannahs and small African warrior tribes, a much-enhanced Viking contingent, Asian cultures, and various North and South American tribes. I haven't decided yet whether space exploration should be included in this world, or develop as part of another.

I also draw a bit, though it's been a while. I need to get back to it someday. And I dance. Lindy Hop swing, Blues, and Pole/burlesque are my main ones. I might be adding Contra, Tango, and Waltz to my repertoire over the next few years. I want to learn how to sew, but as yet have not had the time or any training opportunities. I also want to learn how to hunt with my beagle.

Level 1 Klingon-Orion Assassin

STR 5 | DEX 6 | STA 6 | WIS 4 | CON 3 | CHA 6

My Blog

My Challenges: #1 Current

My Epic Quest

So many fellow crocheters, hooray! I'm addicted to amigarumi- most recently, I went and made a bunch of characters from the anime that's in my avatar, in an unprecedented display of nerdiness. I also knit (my current obsession- I have to watch the sitting around, though, big sweaters aren't as totable as little plushies), cook/bake, draw, and write, amongst a million other things. All of you who craft with power tools and/or shoot have me jealous; I don't have the space/money for either right now. Some day, though....

Level Two Human Adventurer, roaming central New England in search of wild derivatives

STR 3.5  DEX 5.25  STA 3.5  CON 4  WIS 5.25  CHA 4

"You know how some people consider 'may you have an interesting life' to be a curse?... @#%& those people. Wanna have an adventure?" -xkcd

First challenge thread here! :)

Archived