Forums are back in action! ×

What's your hands-on hobby?

Evicious

Can we see pics?? This sounds amazing!

Agree- would love to see pics; so would my husband :D

Level Two Human Adventurer, roaming central New England in search of wild derivatives

STR 3.5  DEX 5.25  STA 3.5  CON 4  WIS 5.25  CHA 4

"You know how some people consider 'may you have an interesting life' to be a curse?... @#%& those people. Wanna have an adventure?" -xkcd

First challenge thread here! :)

My current hobbies include brewing, cooking, hunting, and fishing.

I'm working on getting up to all-grain brewing, but that has slowed down so far in the winter. It's just too cold to brew outside.

My absolute main hobby and passion is hunting. I mainly hunt deer with my bow, but I dabble in upland game and bird hunting as well. This year I have made it my mission to find new and exciting ways to prepare my game. The biggest success by far is a Carne Asada Venison Taco, followed by Garlic Cilantro Venison Skewers, and Jalapeno Dove Poppers. Unfortunately, I'm almost out of venison for the season.

I fish alot in the summer when hunting seasons are all out. I'm not as passionate about this as I am about hunting. I feel like fishing is a bit more luck based. I'll be keeping much more of my catch this summer as opposed to last summer. I'm eating alot more fish since I began counting calories.

So many fellow crocheters, hooray! I'm addicted to amigarumi- most recently, I went and made a bunch of characters from the anime that's in my avatar, in an unprecedented display of nerdiness. I also knit (my current obsession- I have to watch the sitting around, though, big sweaters aren't as totable as little plushies), cook/bake, draw, and write, amongst a million other things. All of you who craft with power tools and/or shoot have me jealous; I don't have the space/money for either right now. Some day, though....

Try looking out for groupons for shooting lessons.  We get a ton in the Boston area because in MA you  have to take a safety course.  Usually they'll teach you, discuss safety and then take you out on the range.  If you already know how to shoot or know someone who does, see if you can get in at a range that's open to the public or be taken as a guest to a members only one.  If I take someone, I'll let them use my stuff as long as they pay for ammo so it's cheap for them.  Most people are willing usually pretty excited to share their knowledge with others as long as they're safe on the range.

Power tools are addictive.  I don't recommend those til you can afford to start buying them lol.

My current hobbies include brewing, cooking, hunting, and fishing.

I'm working on getting up to all-grain brewing, but that has slowed down so far in the winter. It's just too cold to brew outside.

My absolute main hobby and passion is hunting. I mainly hunt deer with my bow, but I dabble in upland game and bird hunting as well. This year I have made it my mission to find new and exciting ways to prepare my game. The biggest success by far is a Carne Asada Venison Taco, followed by Garlic Cilantro Venison Skewers, and Jalapeno Dove Poppers. Unfortunately, I'm almost out of venison for the season.

I fish alot in the summer when hunting seasons are all out. I'm not as passionate about this as I am about hunting. I feel like fishing is a bit more luck based. I'll be keeping much more of my catch this summer as opposed to last summer. I'm eating alot more fish since I began counting calories.

Consider me jealous.  I haven't had venison in so long!

Danielle, Level 2 Forest Nymph Adventurer

STR 6.5 | DEX 2 | STA 4+1 | CON 9 | WIS 6+1 | CHA 3+1

Inventory: 5 silver pieces, a free dinner (full of vegetables), shiny belt of Endurance, Babel Fish

Challenges: 1 2

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone"

Background | MFP

Oh man, I'm just as bad in my hobbies at trying to do ALL the things as I am with exercise.  I just got seeds for my garden, which I'm super excited about.  I need to start my lettuces and Columbine flowers soon.  I also sew, knit, and fabric paint (silk and cotton, mostly).  Occasionally I also do papercutting.  Cooking and baking is probably my most consistent hobby.  I'm pretty much always scouting for new recipes, the fancier the better.  Also just flavors and textures that work together like lamb and apple or chocolate and rosemary and then playing with them.  Sometimes that ventures into chocolatiering.  I've also just started doing aerial arts classes (see avatar).  Mr. Shoshie is always teasing me about having too many hobbies, but I love all of them.  I could never pick just one or two.  

Selkie Warrior
Level 2, STR: 6.5 | DEX: 4.5 | STA: 2.8 | CON: 4 | WIS: 7 | CHA: 2.5

Shoshie's "Getting Awesome" Challenge 
Shoshie's "Just Hanging Around" Challenge

I live off the stuff. I've never bought red meat from a store in my adult life.

Now I'm extra jealous.  I grew up eating all sorts of stuff...pretty much whatever you could shoot/catch in the area.  Pheasant, rabbit, venison, various types of fish, etc.  My dad no longer hunts and I never took hunting/fishing up.

The rod & gun club down the street from my house has a wild game night once a year.  I'm really hoping I can go this year!  One of my friends has started eating bison lately and warned me "it sometimes tastes a little gamey"...which to me is a positive.  The stuff in the grocery store tastes like nothing...you shouldn't be able to substitute ground beef, turkey and chicken with barely any noticeable change.

Inventory: 5 silver pieces, a free dinner (full of vegetables), shiny belt of Endurance, Babel Fish

Background | MFP

I live off the stuff. I've never bought red meat from a store in my adult life.

I wish I could pull this off. Maybe some day when I can buy my own property for hunting I could do something like this. I'm really the only one in my immediate family that hunts with any frequency, and my girlfriend is still trying to shoot her first deer. I think I need to get back into firearm hunting as well. The success rate there is a little better.

Now I want some venison jerky REALLY bad.  Thanks guys :P

“Obstacles are things a person sees when he takes his eyes off his goal.â€
- E. Joseph Crossman

lvl 1 Cylon Assassin 

STR 3 CON 2 STA 3 DEX 3 WIS 2 CHA 2

~Adapt and Overcome~

Challenge http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/22528-new-beginnings

Log http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/22111-elefevers-log/

I'm building a Lego world in my spare bedroom. Somewhat medieval themed, with modifications. The main kingdom has a castle, farms, houses, and an assortment of economic infrastructure including a bakery, bank, inn, tavern, post office, smithy, and various shops. A bustling maritime economy is brewing, though piracy/privateering is rampant. Recently annexed by the main kingdom is the wizarding-and-assorted-supernatural-entity community, who are the technological powerhouses of the realm. Dwelling inside the bordering mountains are the dwarves, who have impressive architectural and engineering developments. On the far side of the mountains are dinosaurs, which, with the addition of magic from the wizards, become dragons. Neighboring to the west is the rival kingdom, though I haven't had a chance to expand their lands yet (space limitations, alas). To the north is Viking territory, where significant advancements in weapons technology and navigation are being made. To the southeast-ish across the sea is Egypt, tentatively at peace with the main kingdom for the moment. They bring a thriving trade economy in exotic foods, spices, arts, and materials, though their culture clashes uncomfortably with the main kingdom's.

There's a bit of an odd mix of technologies in my world. Customarily, transportation is on horseback, and warriors use sword, knife, and bow&arrow. Guns exist, though the general consensus from men of honor is that they are a coward's weapon never to be used in personal combat or hunting. Outlaws, of course, have no such qualms about their use. Tranquilizer guns are used against dinosaurs. Their effectiveness against dragons is limited, so proper nurturing and training from infancy is required. An elite faction of the king's army runs the dragon training program. Motor vehicles, including airplanes, do exist, though they are mainly used by the postal service. Limited medical care exists currently through scattered midwives and mages, though I really do need to make a hospital or something. I credit the technological mix to the presence of a Stargate.

Future expansion plans, when I move to a larger place, include expanded water life (merpeople, Atlantis, etc.), savannahs and small African warrior tribes, a much-enhanced Viking contingent, Asian cultures, and various North and South American tribes. I haven't decided yet whether space exploration should be included in this world, or develop as part of another.

I also draw a bit, though it's been a while. I need to get back to it someday. And I dance. Lindy Hop swing, Blues, and Pole/burlesque are my main ones. I might be adding Contra, Tango, and Waltz to my repertoire over the next few years. I want to learn how to sew, but as yet have not had the time or any training opportunities. I also want to learn how to hunt with my beagle.

this is now my favorite NerdFitness post of all time.  LOL  Must see pics!

LEVEL 4Time Lord RangerSTR 6 / DEX 4 / STA 8 / CON 6 / WIS 3 / CHA 2Architect of Evolution: Blog

I love all the textile crafts!

My hobbies wax and wane, but I have a lot of them. Lately it's music, mostly guitar and learning to sing. Off and on for pretty much my entire adult life, there's also knitting, sewing, bikes, roller skating, homemaking, and wardrobe/fashion. 

Roller skating!  I've been trying forever to convince people to skate with me.  I was informed I would have loved the 70s lol.

There seem to be a lot of people here who are into textile manufacturing crafts. That is so great, I wish my hands were a little more skillful with fine tasks such as these.

I bet you could do it!  I don't have a steady hand and can't do fine tasks like painting the edges when we painted our house but knitting and crocheting are pretty forgiving because you can do each individual stitch at your own pace and it's really easy to back out a stitch and do it over.  Sewing is another story which is why I only hand embroider lol.  I'd love to start machine sewing and quilting but I'm like a madwoman with it...going along fine and then all of a sudden I'll veer off.

Background | MFP

There seem to be a lot of people here who are into textile manufacturing crafts. That is so great, I wish my hands were a little more skillful with fine tasks such as these.

Well, the only way to get better is to practice! :)

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

Well, the only way to get better is to practice! :)

It sure is.

I bet you could do it!  I don't have a steady hand and can't do fine tasks like painting the edges when we painted our house but knitting and crocheting are pretty forgiving because you can do each individual stitch at your own pace and it's really easy to back out a stitch and do it over.  Sewing is another story which is why I only hand embroider lol.  I'd love to start machine sewing and quilting but I'm like a madwoman with it...going along fine and then all of a sudden I'll veer off.

I sure could if I put enough effort into it. But im gonna stick to photography (requires less of a steady hand) as my main freetime consumer. This also helps me get out into nature for panaroma shots and such. Also I've tried to use pen spinning and soldering to make my hands a bit more steady. Shaky hands run in my familiy (not parkinson shaky, but a lil' bit, you know?) and I learned to live with them.

Level 4 Human Ranger

The only Way to accomplish greatness is to set your goals even higher.

STR: 15 || DEX: 9 || STA: 10

CON: 12 || WIS: 9 || CHA: 6

Check out my challange Thread (4)

Man, now i'm really wishing my dad had actually had a good hunting trip. I want some venison.

My hands shake a lot and I've managed to still be moderately successful at textile crafts. As mentioned, crochet is very forgiving and sewing machines are pretty good at holding fabric steady with minimal touching on your part. That being said my lines are usually not straight...

I've always wanted to get into photography. My dad never let me play with his nice camera growing up (with good reason), but apparently it runs in the family. Maybe I'll have time for that in a few years. :)

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

"“You've seen my descent, now watch my rising." ~ Rumi

My hands shake a lot and I've managed to still be moderately successful at textile crafts. As mentioned, crochet is very forgiving and sewing machines are pretty good at holding fabric steady with minimal touching on your part. That being said my lines are usually not straight...

I've always wanted to get into photography. My dad never let me play with his nice camera growing up (with good reason), but apparently it runs in the family. Maybe I'll have time for that in a few years. :)

I had to do some textile crafts (mainly sewing and embroidery) in elementary School, besides the fact that I never managed to make my pieces look the way they were supposed to, I shed many a drop of blood from sticking the needles in my finger. I vowed myself never again. Not even after I almost managed to break my finger with a hammer. 

SLRs are seriously expensive so not handing them to your kids is kind of an understandable move on his part. But a good Picture is well worth the effort and funds put into it if you ask me. 

Level 4 Human Ranger

Let's see ... reading, sewing since I was a kid (I especially like costuming -- made a steampunk outfit just this fall), crocheting since I was in my teens, food gardening since the early 90's, knitting, spinning, building stuff (I :love_heart: power tools), foraging, cooking/baking, going to the shooting range, and every once in a long while I like to draw (mostly plants). And of course, there's always online gaming. ;)

Anduril, level 3 human adventurer

(ranger wannabe)
STR 8 | DEX 4 | STA 3.5 | CON 6.5 | WIS 3 | CHA 3.5

Intro thread | Daily Journal
Top weight 211, currently 184, goal weight 150 (5' 8-1/2")

Life has no remote; you have to get up and change it yourself.

Theatre.  I've directed some successful low-budget shows with friends.  It's pretty draining, so I rarely do more than one show per year, but I love it.

Filmmaking.  I've been sort of on hiatus from that since getting married, but it can be fun if I keep my expectations in check (ie. not expecting it to look epic)

Guitar.  I have two nice guitars and enjoy playing them every now and then.

To be honest, running has replaced these three in a big way.  I'm hoping I can somehow figure out how to use running to make those three more enjoyable, but for now, I'm fine with running being my main hobby.

PR's

5k - 21:29

10k - 47:26 43:29

21.1 - 2:05:26 1:44:21

Let's see ... reading, sewing since I was a kid (I especially like costuming -- made a steampunk outfit just this fall), crocheting since I was in my teens, food gardening since the early 90's, knitting, spinning, building stuff (I :love_heart: power tools), foraging, cooking/baking, going to the shooting range, and every once in a long while I like to draw (mostly plants). And of course, there's always online gaming. ;)

Oh I used to be a gamer, just like you. But then I took an arrow to the knee.

What I want to say is that I realized that for me, there are more important things in life, so I quit online gaming for good. Nowadays I only play hotseat civ5 or MK with friends. It was more on a metaphorical arrow I guess.

Level 4 Human Ranger

I hate to say this, but.... THIS THREAD IS IN SERIOUS NEED OF PICTURES!!!

I've read all the pages, and there are so many cool-sounding projects we've made - plushies, spice racks, custom guns, quilts, lace, costumes - to name just a few! I want to see ALL THE THINGS we're up to, if for no other reason than to be motivated to finish my own project(s). :playful: So if you've posted in this thread before about something you've done or are currently working on, post a pic/vid/grid coordinates to google.earth so the rest of us can Ooh & Aah.

Here's my blanket I'm crocheting, in all it's unfinished, unpatterned glory:

50f16c3314da5_IMGP0294.jpg

Keep up the momentum!

My hobby is lifting things.

Seriously :)

But outside of fitness? I don't know. I used to do a lot of web dev, but now I do that as a part of my job.

I also used to play bass, write, read, and draw a lot. Should probably start those again :)

(If this post seems brief or anything like that it's because I'm using my phone and don't want to type a lot :))

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
My hobby is lifting things. Seriously :) But outside of fitness? I don't know. I used to do a lot of web dev, but now I do that as a part of my job. I also used to play bass, write, read, and draw a lot. Should probably start those again :) (If this post seems brief or anything like that it's because I'm using my phone and don't want to type a lot :))

Spezzy played the bass!? Nuh-uh... prove it! :P

Keep up the momentum!

Archived