Forums are back in action! ×

What's your hands-on hobby?

Evicious

I think I saw one other gardener here. There is something magical about watching plants grow and creating or rather guiding a garden....

I didn't list gardening as a hobby since I don't perceive myself to be very good at it but as a pretty new homeowner, I'm hoping to get better at it :)  At my last rental, I had a perennial flower garden and a veggie/herb garden so once our yard is in decent shape, I'm hoping to get back to it.  There's nothing quite like a vase of flowers or bowl of food straight from your backyard.

Danielle, Level 2 Forest Nymph Adventurer

STR 6.5 | DEX 2 | STA 4+1 | CON 9 | WIS 6+1 | CHA 3+1

Inventory: 5 silver pieces, a free dinner (full of vegetables), shiny belt of Endurance, Babel Fish

Challenges: 1 2

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone"

Background | MFP

Agreed :nevreness:

I sow my own veggies in May and start harvesting radishes in a month, it's just magic. And no, I'm not very good at gardening and that's part of the thing. I simply do it because I love it

I love veggie gardenig.I love the magic of planting little seeds in the ground and having food come up. And I love digging in the dirt

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Gosh, you're all making me excited about the prospect of gardening! There's still half a foot of snow on the ground around here, but I found a peppercorn-sized kale sprout in my dirt-filled shoebox this morning, so I guess it's a start. Hopefully lettuce and spinach will be following soon; after the thaw, I'm hoping to partner with my father-in-law and get some sort of family communal garden started.

Level Two Human Adventurer, roaming central New England in search of wild derivatives

STR 3.5  DEX 5.25  STA 3.5  CON 4  WIS 5.25  CHA 4

"You know how some people consider 'may you have an interesting life' to be a curse?... @#%& those people. Wanna have an adventure?" -xkcd

First challenge thread here! :)

I build stuff. I've completely remodeled my kitchen, living room and bathroom (the bedroom is next!) with the only help from my dad and neighbor being the plumbing - which involved crawling under the house. I did all the construction inside (including building a new wall and swaping a shower stall for a tub, and some electrical work) all the way to finished.

I've also built a couple small glass aquariums, and stands for them to sit on, as well as a stand for my larger 40 gallon aquarium-turned-poison-dart-frog-vivarium. I built the desk that the laptop I'm writing this message from is sitting on.

I also sew, and grow orchids (I have about 45 of them) and keep bettas and poison dart frogs.

"When I can no more stir my soul to move, and life is but the ashes of a fire; When I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire - O be thou then the first, the one thou art; Be thou the calling before all answering love, and in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire." - George MacDonald

"Ah the 'magic' of nature. I slightly disaprove of the term magic in this case, but to each their own. I wish I had some space to grow my own veggies "

(Can't get the quote to look right but still)

Yeah substix - I think I see what you mean. It's actually the exact opposite of magic ;-)

And-this might sound boring and insufficient but you can grow a lot in a window or on a balcony. Maybe not in the winter depending on where you live but still. Ruccola and radishes are so easy and fast for instance!

I have chosen to believe in myself.

Yeah substix - I think I see what you mean. It's actually the exact opposite of magic ;-)

And-this might sound boring and insufficient but you can grow a lot in a window or on a balcony. Maybe not in the winter depending on where you live but still. Ruccola and radishes are so easy and fast for instance!

Yay Science!

My (only) window gets hardly an sun at all currently. That might change in Summer, but I'm not entirely sure about that. Maybe I'll try growing some raddishes or some chive :)

Level 4 Human Ranger

The only Way to accomplish greatness is to set your goals even higher.

STR: 15 || DEX: 9 || STA: 10

CON: 12 || WIS: 9 || CHA: 6

Check out my challange Thread (4)

Fixing up beaten and abused guitars. I also do the same with smaller cc motorcycles. No guitars in the works right now but I'm fixing up a 72 yamaha at the moment. Hopefully have it going by spring. 

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Another knitter here, done a few scarves and baby blankets. But I have to be in the mood to sit and not move for long periods of time. But mostly I bake a lot so I can learn new techniques and recipes. I share almost all of it... gotta quality control lol. And otherwise, I read!

Cee, Level 2 Wood Elf Adventurer of the Earth Kingdom

STR 4.5 . DEX 1 . STA 3 . CON 5 . WIS 8.75 . CHA 4

ch 0|ch 1|challenge 2

I recently took up woodworking. So far I've built a two work benches (one for my garage, one for my kitchen) and a coffee table. I'm drafting designs for

a new coffee table, and some bookshelves for my office.

I'm not certain if it really counts as a hand-on hobby, but I enjoy cooking.

"If you would improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

"You just gotta listen to your body, unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water."

Level 20 Pilgrim (Adventurer 7, Assassin 3, Druid 2, Monk 10, Ranger 5, Rebel 9, Scout 10, Warrior 4)

I recently took up woodworking. So far I've built a two work benches (one for my garage, one for my kitchen) and a coffee table. I'm drafting designs for

a new coffee table, and some bookshelves for my office.

I'm not certain if it really counts as a hand-on hobby, but I enjoy cooking.

Woodworking is great! I'm gonna start shaping some wood again once all the snow melts away and I can access the toolshed in my failies garden again. Currently snowed in so heavy, you can't even see the roof. 

Level 4 Human Ranger

So, I have to say that I am super excited that someone other than me crochet's here. I am 29 years old and I feel like a little old grandma because I love to crochet. Although I have no projects going at the moment, I love doing it, it is relaxing. My very first project was a blanket, I have since done more blankets, scarves, slippers, washclothes, etc.

Msuroo, you can come to my house and build me a bookshelf like that if you ever get bored. :rolleyes-new:

Dimpley

Level 1 Human Adventurer

STR: 3 DEX: 0  STA:1  CON: 4 WIS: 4  CHA:4

I love origami. I've folded a couple of Kawasaki roses and more cranes than I can count. One day I'll do the Montroll stegasaurus.

Le cÅ“ur a ses raisons, que la raison ne connaît point. (The heart has its reasons that reason cannot know.)

@kawaiidragoness || @KawaChallenge || Reddit || Tumblr || Youtube || Dropbox (cloud storage) || Kiva (microloans for the world's economy!) || Universe Project 

L2 Spriggan AssassinSTR 5 | DEX 3 | CON 7.67 | STA 6 | WIS 5.5 | CHA 4.67QUEST || CHALLENGE: Lair (0) Start-Scummer (1) UD (2)

I love origami. I've folded a couple of Kawasaki roses and more cranes than I can count. One day I'll do the Montroll stegasaurus.

I tried origami one time, but somehow I always endet up with paper airplanes. No matter what I did, paper plane in the end.

Level 4 Human Ranger

So, I have to say that I am super excited that someone other than me crochet's here. I am 29 years old and I feel like a little old grandma because I love to crochet. Although I have no projects going at the moment, I love doing it, it is relaxing. My very first project was a blanket, I have since done more blankets, scarves, slippers, washclothes, etc.

Msuroo, you can come to my house and build me a bookshelf like that if you ever get bored. :rolleyes-new:

I'm only 27 and I knit AND crochet so you're in good company.  Then again, when someone told me I was old, my mom responded to them "she's been old since birth"

Inventory: 5 silver pieces, a free dinner (full of vegetables), shiny belt of Endurance, Babel Fish

Background | MFP

I'm only 27 and I knit AND crochet so you're in good company.  Then again, when someone told me I was old, my mom responded to them "she's been old since birth"

Some people are just destined for it :P

Maybe you'll be one of the forever-young old persons, once you're actually old

Level 4 Human Ranger

Some people are just destined for it :tongue:

Maybe you'll be one of the forever-young old persons, once you're actually old

I'm 99% sure I'm going to turn into my grandmother...which isn't a bad thing.  She was all of 4'10" and so quiet, always cooking or crocheting but if you paid really close attention, she was hilarious and talked a lot of smack about people.  She also hugged me once right after hugging my sister (who is 5'7" and wears heels all the time) and thanked me for being short

Background | MFP

I think I saw one other gardener here. There is something magical about watching plants grow and creating or rather guiding a garden....

Yep!  The fact that you put a tiny seed in the ground and in a few months you get a giant plant that grows FOOD is pretty much the best kind of magic.

Selkie Warrior
Level 2, STR: 6.5 | DEX: 4.5 | STA: 2.8 | CON: 4 | WIS: 7 | CHA: 2.5

Shoshie's "Getting Awesome" Challenge 
Shoshie's "Just Hanging Around" Challenge

I am just learning to crochet. I am pretty good at sewing as well. I have been doing a lot of research for gardening also. It's still winter in WY, but spring comes quick around here.

I'm an athiest and I thank God for it. -George Bernard Shaw 

If God has made us in his image, we have returned him the favor. -Voltaire 

'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes. -James Morrow

Yep!  The fact that you put a tiny seed in the ground and in a few months you get a giant plant that grows FOOD is pretty much the best kind of magic.

hey there! Gardening is awesome, growing plants, vegetables and fruit makes a nice hobby and is a great experience. Please don't refer to it as magic. Magic is vanishing coins, card tricks and sawing ladies in half. Growing plants is a really well explored and explained process. There is a whole scientific field revolving around it (we call it biology) :)

Level 4 Human Ranger

Archived