Forums are back in action! ×

Latest addition to my household...

GoToTheGround

The little guy is sooooo shy right now. 9 weeks old this coming Thursday. I named him 'Gato'.

Just curious: for those of you who've had kittens, how long did their initial acclimatisation to new surroundings take?  I'm expecting at least a week if not more and I think he's making really good progress after only 36 hours but just thought I'd ask.

50ec229df1ffc_20130107203926.jpg

GoToTheGround"The two most powerful warriors are patience and time" - Leo TolstoyTwitter | My 130lb weight-loss journey in photos & words 

Aww, precious!  I usually get my kittens in pairs, because I'm going to end up being a crazy cat lady. But a single one shouldn't take too long to get used to its new home.  It really depends though, each one is different.  I had a cat from the shelter that took a whole year before she even let me pet her :P But kittens are usually good after a few days.  Just make sure to have lots of playtime, and they'll be instantly happy

I'm not in front.

I'm close behind.

But I'll catch up, just give me time.

I gotta go, go, go, go, go, you can't go fast if you go too slow

so go, go, go, go, go!

Very cute!  What does, "Gato" mean, if it has a meaning?

Sadly, the last Kitten we had ended up being mostly feral, so my most recent kitten experiences have not been pleasant.  On the other hand, it's wonderful to know that others out there are having positive experiences!

TheRedWriter

Level 3 Doppelganger Ranger
"Think not that you have to win. Think instead that you do not have to loose."
STR 8|DEX 4.5|STA 11|CON 6|WIS 6.5|CHA 5

It's been so long since we got our kitty, I don't remember how long it took for him to get acclimated. I do remember lots of sleepless nights spent listening to a crazy kitten run around the house like a mad man. Right now we're in a new acclimation stage with him as we added another dog to our family this past week. So he's not on speaking terms with us right now LOL! 

Level 10 Wandering Nord

Constitution: 15.5 Strength: 14 Wisdom: 17.5 Stamina: 12.25 Dexterity: 2 Charisma: 8
Current Challenge: Picking Up The Pieces

my giant white cat is named Gato Magnifico (we call him jefe for short ;) LOL)

I would think just a couple days for a kitten :)

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Very cute!  What does, "Gato" mean, if it has a meaning?

Sadly, the last Kitten we had ended up being mostly feral, so my most recent kitten experiences have not been pleasant.  On the other hand, it's wonderful to know that others out there are having positive experiences!

TheRedWriter, "gato" is Spanish for "cat". :cat: So alienjenn's cat's name:

my giant white cat is named Gato Magnifico (we call him jefe for short ;) LOL)

I would think just a couple days for a kitten :)

is "Magnificent Cat" - but his nickname is "Chief".

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

TheRedWriter, "gato" is Spanish for "cat". :cat: So alienjenn's cat's name:

is "Magnificent Cat" - but his nickname is "Chief".

or boss.... which is what we like to call him... or g....

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Our cat adjusts pretty quick, the key thing being we put her food in the places she doesn't like to go to force her to try them out and get used to them. We just bought a house and she wouldn't come off the second floor until we put her food downstairs.

She was very shy as a kitten and stayed that way, and the bold cats I've had we're that way from the start as well. It seems its just part of their personality.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

The little guy is sooooo shy right now. 9 weeks old this coming Thursday. I named him 'Gato'.

Just curious: for those of you who've had kittens, how long did their initial acclimatisation to new surroundings take?  I'm expecting at least a week if not more and I think he's making really good progress after only 36 hours but just thought I'd ask.

It depends on the cat. My cat hates change and anytime we move or new people come over he flips out, and initially it took about a month for him to be chill. My cat before that was a stray and just took over the house in a day. However, I would say their personalities really start coming out after the first month or two. Good luck on your kitten, and remember how adorable he looks in that picture when he starts tearing around like a crazy cat! 

Archived