Forums are back in action! ×

I'm going to do this!

Howdy all,

I'm Steve.  I live in Las Vegas but work all over the country.  I work in theater, tv, film, concerts and conventions.  I do everything from lighting to building sets and props to being a stagehand.  Therefore I need to be a Ranger.  Strong to build, fast to run around on stage, and endurance because jobs can last anywhere from 4 hours to 27.  

A little background for you.  At the age of 29 I had a second surgery on my right foot.  This surgery fused all the bones between my ankle and my toes.  I was told with physical therapy that I would be able to walk with a limp and and never be able to run.  For the first few months I was on bed rest and in a wheel chair.  Then went to crutches, walker, cane, and then walking with a severe limp.  As soon as I could I went back to work.  At 30 I went for a check up and was immediately called back to the doctors the next day after blood tests came back.  A combination of antibiotics and pain killers from the surgery and going back to a hard labor job where I worked outside in the summer in Las Vegas heat, my kidneys had failed.   I was told that it was extreme and at this time they were not sure why it was happening.  I was told that the outlook was not good, i should get my affairs in order and that I had about six months.  Telling my wife of ten years, my 9 year old daughter, my sister and my mom that I was sick and maybe not going to make it was the hardest thing I have ever done.  We did everything the doctors said. I saw every doctor and got second opinions on everything.  Finally was able to turn my kidneys around.  Eventually got to the point that I was allowed to start working out.  A year ago I decided to change my life.  I hated my job, I hated the way I looked and I hated the way I felt.  I left my job and started working in theater. I absolutely love it and should have done it years ago.  I started eating better and walking.  January of 2012 I weighed 330 lbs.  Even though I was told I would never be able to run, this summer I started running and recently started the nerdfitness beginners workout.  As of yesterday I weighed 240 lbs. I finally stopped smoking.  I can run/walk about 4 miles.  In two weeks I turn 34, guess that shows the docs.  

My goals for this year are an 8 minute mile and a handstand.  my life goals are to be healthy, happy and spend as much time with my family as I can because I know how quickly it can all come to an end.  

Quite the Story you got there. Congratulations on overcomeing all that hardship, and taking a step in the direction of a healthier life.
I hope your stay here will be as delightful as mine has been so far.

Welcome to the Rebellion!

Level 4 Human Ranger

The only Way to accomplish greatness is to set your goals even higher.

STR: 15 || DEX: 9 || STA: 10

CON: 12 || WIS: 9 || CHA: 6

Check out my challange Thread (4)

Good for you making a turn-around like that.  My sister was a theatre tech, so you're on the right road going with the Rangers.  Are you going to start with the Rangers, or do a stop-over with the adventurers first?  Either way - welcome!  If you need some help, just ask someone in your guild.  Oh - and of course start the challenge, even though it's been running a week. 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Welcome aboard, and thanks for sharing your story. I think you'll find folks around here appreciative of the unique insight you've gained from your experience. I'm a newbie, too and have been impressed so far w/the community in general. Glad you're still around. All the best to you!

"You're not in it to get Most [Recognized Rebel Ever]. You're not in it to be eligible for prizes. You're in this because you made a promise to yourself and you refuse to let you down. Walk the talk. And even when you don't talk much, make the walk so powerful that it leaves no room for questions - from inside or out." -note to self Str7.5 Dex6 Sta5.7 Con11.8 Wis10.4 Cha2 Intro post~Challenge 1~Challenge 2~Challenge 3~Challenge 4~Battle Log 1 Ranger Level 3

Archived