Forums are back in action! ×

Level 1 Hobbit

I've been following the Nerd Fitness blog for about a year and get really inspired by the articles, but I haven't really managed to buckle down and get any real work done.

Last year was rough. I lost my stepdad (a month before his 51st birthday) to acute renal failure and congestive heart failure- which was the result of obesity and uncontrolled type 2 diabetes. I don't wanna go down like that.

I got all motivated and started eating better and lost a little weight, even ran my first 5K back in October. But somehow I managed to get all complacent again and officially crossed the line from "overweight" to "obese" as I rang in the new year. I'm pretty disgusted with myself.

I just turned 31 a few days ago and for my birthday, my mom signed me up to run a 5K with her Feb 15th. I am really excited, but I am so out of shape.

I've started running again, doing C25K with my 13 year old son 3 days a week (barefoot- woot! It's the only way to run) and have been doing the Angry Birds Workout during the day to keep me up and moving.

I work a desk jobat a winery (for the next two weeks anyway), so I'm usually pretty sedentary.

I know I'll probably catch a little flak for this, but I am on Weight Watchers right now. I'm trying to ease myself into a more Paleo way of eating by starting with the Weight Watchers Points Plus, working my way into the Simply Filling technique, which is mostly Paleo stuff anyway. Right now I am working on portion control and holding myself accountable for what I eat.

I'll admit now that I struggle with rage and depression and am not the easiest person to get along with. I'm not outgoing, bubbly, and friendly, which might be why I am in the lonely, bitter situation.

Anyway, it's time for a change. If I keep going at the rate I'm going, then my life is half over... maybe even more than half. I don't want that.

FrauHausMaus

Level 1 Hobbit Adventurer

I'm a WW member as well, and there is no reason you cannot eat paleo while on WW.  I don't eat paleo, but I eat almost primal.  I've made the decision to continue to have some dairy.  Read about Athena, who does eat paleo on WW points. You'll find that when you cut out processed/junk foods, you'll have plenty of points left to add fats and proteins.  My WW group freaked when I said I was raising my fats, but it has worked very well - certainly better than what I was doing before. 

I was pretty depressed as recently as last June.  Ditching processed foods and adding strength training to my workout really have turned things around for me.  If you want to ask me any questions, just send me a message (hover over my name and you'll see SEND MESSAGE as an option).  Glad you joined the rebellion.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Welcome to the Rebellion, frauhausmaus! 

WW is awesome if it works for you. Noone here's gonna judge you, don't worry. It's great that you came here, and as the rules state: 'We don't care where you come from, we just care where you're going.' And you seem to be going in the direction of a healthier life. Which is not only amazing, but also makes you equal to everyone else here :)

Do you only run barefoot? Would you share some of your experiences on running barefoot/with shoes?

Level 4 Human Ranger

The only Way to accomplish greatness is to set your goals even higher.

STR: 15 || DEX: 9 || STA: 10

CON: 12 || WIS: 9 || CHA: 6

Check out my challange Thread (4)

Welcome!  This is a great place to be if you need that extra push to get yourself on the road to recovery (of confidence and self esteem) .  Main thing you can do is just start making small changes and keep building on them.  Make sure every day you are a little bit healthier than you were the day before, and happiness will surely follow.

As for the diet thing, portion control and accountability can go a LONG way.  And while Weight Watchers may not be the ideal plan, its what works for you right now.  So go in there, knock it out of the park, and when it is time to move onward and upward, you will be that much more ready!

Good luck!

Chriskra, Level 1 Night Elf Ranger

STR 2|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 2|CHA 4

"The only easy day was yesterday"

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

I have tried running in regular running shoes, but I got terrible shin splints. My gait isn't perfect for barefoot running (I still land a little flat-footed, especially when I'm tired), but my legs don't bother me as bad. I'm a country girl and being barefoot is just a way of life. I wear my Vibrams all the time- working, hiking, whatever. Running in them just feels better.

FrauHausMaus

Level 1 Hobbit Adventurer

Welcome, nothing wrong with WW. If it works then it works! 

Good Luck :) 

Halflink Level 1 Orc Ranger

STR 4 |DEX 2 |STA 3 |CON 2 |WIS 2 |CHA 2

Battle Log ~ First Set Of Tasks

"...maybe some of you guys got something you never finished, something you really want to do, something you never said to someone, something... and you're told no, even after you paid your dues? Who's got the right to tell you that, who? Nobody! It's your right to listen to your gut, it ain't nobody's right to say no after you earned the right to be where you want to be and do what you want to do!"

Rocky VI

Archived